What's so good about metal?
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #106 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct. But this infuriates me too. Whenever I see posts like chadbangs it makes me see red, but it confuses me too. Why someone is unable hear all those great riffs and layered tremolo melodies and whatever, but hear nothing but angry noise? When I first heard metal I immidietly "got it", why?

It's really strange...metal as a whole is the most diverse genre there is, there is an abyssal difference between Sabbath's Paranoid and Morbid angel, and how some don't get it it's beyond me...from an objective point of view, Metal music can't be defined unoriginal, simply because "Metal" is such a generic categorization, not to mention the technical aspect of the problem...However...if someone considers all metal listeners just a bunch of angry teenagers rejected by society, he is completely wrong, if i have the right palate to taste good death metal, it doesn't necessarily mean i can't fully appreciate other genres, many "metalheads" can't, that's true...but they are those who listen to CC or Korn only...I know many people who listen to far more "innocent" and less debated genres, claim to be music lovers, but are absolutely ignorant and close minded... there's a greater chance someone who is seriously into serious death metal ( excuse me for the intentional repetition ) will have a deeper knowledge in music than a casual Madonna listener...

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #107 of 143
Even back when I used to listen to metal, I think it was far more about the attitude, posturing, costumes, etc. than the actual music.
I have only heard a tiny andful of metal bands that actually sound good to me, notably Queensryche, Blue Oyster Cult, and Rush.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #108 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think about it, it's just a coincidence. Your brain + your surroundings and their effect on the first one = ability to hear certain type of music "differently" than others.

Yes. Sometimes there is a synergy that takes place when you're in the right mood, frame of mind and atmosphere and something clicks and you're like "hey that is awesome. I never realized it like that before." I have had this moment with many things I thought I didn't like or things I thought I understood or did not understand, ie music, movies, people, literature...even deeper: truth.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #110 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOC and Rush are metal bands now?

Uh oh.. I'm gonna start another what is/isn't metal topic.

Listen to Hot Rails to Hell and The Necromancer, then get back to me on that!
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #111 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to Hot Rails to Hell and The Necromancer, then get back to me on that!
tongue.gif

Hot Rails to Hell is a 100% hard rock song... how could you think that it's metal? A bunch of power chords doesn't make a song a metal song. A few of Rush's stuff can be considered metal, but they are mainly a progressive rock band.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #112 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I thought i might as well give Metal 110th try with an open mind. Really. And surprise, that song sounded exactly like the other hundred I've heard. You guys must be the equivalent of wine connoisseurs (red, no doubt) who think they taste a dozen different flavors in a glass of red wine, when to the rest of us most metal tastes like the same cheap sangria. What is it about the total lack of originality in metal that so attracts you? Metal to me is the angry white boys equivalent of rap -- all "meaningful" lyric against the same, repetitive musical backdrop. And be careful not to deviate to far from the cutout. I dunno, admittedly I'm not much of a lyric guy. I listen to music for, well, music. If "death metal" means songs about death set to the same chords and progressions as "cannibal metal" "suicide metal" "black metal" "white metal" then I think you're better off trading your headphones for a copy of Sylvia Plath or The Necronomicon. Just skip the "music" part. From what i hear, it's exterraneous to metal. Man, if any of you make it past the age of 30 with your cds, be prepared to have a yardsale and lose some money. I grew up listening to punk for years, and all the bands (who made it) shared one thing in common: No one else sounded quite like them. It was called originality. I can't understand trying to create music or art from the perspective of sounding like everyone else. What's the point? It's like the f$%king Satanic version of "Paint by Numbers". Unless, of course, you're completely untalented and unoriginal and you have to copy someone else. Then at least you have an excuse.

Dude, it's okay not to like metal - you don't have to go on the offensive toward the people who do like it. Based on your arguments, however, I think you haven't listened to much of what I consider to be good metal, which is not at all simple or unoriginal. And did you actually say that metal musicians are untalented? Who have you been listening to???

Try this:

YouTube - Blind Guardian - Battlefield

YouTube - THERION - Son Of The Staves of Time LIVE

YouTube - Astral Doors-New Revelation

YouTube - Gamma Ray - Land of the Free

YouTube - Demons and Wizards - Crimson King

YouTube - Finntroll- Korpens Saga

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #113 of 143
Quote:

And did you actually say that metal musicians are untalented?

The video about Cannibal Corpse guitarists "untalentedness" was posted here earlier too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #117 of 143
Haha, yeah that was hilarious.

Its just ignorance. I know 100's of people who say American football is just a bunch of huge guys beating each other up. Why do they think that? A brief look for 2 minutes at some random game and the lack of understanding and the lack of motivation to understand the game.

Sit with it, learn about it, read about it, watch a full game, try to ask someone about it and figure it out. Once you have soaked it all in, know the rules, watched some big games which others considered great games and still walk out unimpressed, then maybe you can say you dont like it, but even at that point you don't have any right taking away credit for the hardwork, effort, dedication and sacrifices the players have made towards that sport, and the skill of the said players.

Same goes with metal, calling metal musicians untalented is just complete ignorance and lack of understanding. In an age with computerized instruments and automated everything, metal musicians remain one of the few kinds of musicians who are true to their instruments and master it for the love of the instrument and for the appreciation of the tough to impress metal fans. A drummer who can play a super fast roll and double bass in front of a crowd will get much more respect and adulation compared to a guy who spends 10 minutes programming it on a computer. Metal musicians are primarily masters of their respective instruments, and are dedicated and commited to their music more than anything else. You might not like the song structures or the sound of metal but calling them untalented just doesnt make any sense, shows how much you know about musical instruments and what goes into mastering one.

And as far the general public opinion on people who listen to metal, thats false as well, not everyone who listens to metal is a depressed youngster with mascara and tatoo's and piercings doing drugs and swearing all the time. And you can find several decent people to hang out with at a metal concert, sure there are a bunch of loons who think they are cool because they do crazy things, but that doesnt represent the entire audience, I have been to several metal concerts, had a nice time with normal people who I see and work with everyday, who come there to enjoy the music and appreciate the skill of the musicians.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #118 of 143
Talking Heads, The Clash, Nick Cave and Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, Fugazi, The Smiths, The Dead Kennedys, The Pixies, The Minutemen, The Stranglers, Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, The Misfits, Devo, Violent Femmes, The Stooges, The Sex Pistols, X, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Sonic Youth, Nirvana....

It's amazing what these guys did with "3 or 4 chords", not to mention how their innovation went on to inspire experimentation that lead to New Wave, synthpop, grunge, electronica, hardcore.... Whereas metal seems content to fester in the corner doing the same crap over and over. If it wants to remain a sub-genre forever, so be it, but the best of the above artists, like The Clash, Talking Heads, Costello, grew and transformed rapidly as they expanded their repertoire, thereby expanding rock music as a whole.

I didn't drop in to thread crap, this wasn't a "Praise Metal!" thread according to what the title proposed (I leave those alone) and there's been some discussion here about the merits and non-merits of metal, so I felt free to express my real feelings about metal. Now look, DarkAngel, the prince of darkness at headfi, has been my good friend for years here and I've tried to follow his lead many times and failed completely with this genre. He's a mature headfier with amazing taste and I know he'd defend my right to my opinion. And that's what it is, my opinion. Take it as you would. Blow it off if you want. I don't really give a #$%. That's my PUNK attitude, which, btw, was only one of the many genres I was exploring growing up (I suggest someone who listens to mainly metal to do the same - explore other genres.) So if you enjoy metal, all the more power to you. This thread asked, whats' so good about metal? And my simplified response is: not much.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #120 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking Heads, The Clash, Nick Cave and Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, Fugazi, The Smiths, The Dead Kennedys, The Pixies, The Minutemen, The Stranglers, Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, The Misfits, Devo, Violent Femmes, The Stooges, The Dead Boys, The Voidoids, The Sex Pistols, X, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Sonic Youth, Nirvana....

It's amazing what these guys did with 3 to four chords, not to mention how their innovation went on to inspire experimentation that lead to New Wave, synthpop, grunge, electronica, hardcore.... Whereas metal seems content to fester in the corner doing the same crap over and over. If it wants to remain a sub-genre forever, so be it.

Sorry about the backlash you got, and yes this thread isnt about being all positive against metal. I do respect your opinion that you dont like it.
Only thing I have a problem with is that you think it all sounds the same. Metal is one of the most diverse subgenres out there, and bands have taken elements from all kinds of genres like classical or whatever. Funny example would be above linked Finntroll, Folk Metal band that has mixed extreme metal with Humppa/Polka, and folk music in general.
biggrin.gif
I just dont get it when you say it all sounds the same with same chord repeated all over, so untrue.

I really dont understand what you are hearing.

You say that lots of bands have made from 3 chords. Metal was pretty much born from Black Sabbaths tritone melody progression, and bands still manage to make music from it as spine and add more stuff to it, from extreme and straightforward simple stuff to complex and progressive, technical stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back