What's so good about metal?
Jan 22, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #137 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extreme metal is an acquired taste. Once you get into it, you find so many good things about it, though aggression and brutality (or coldness and hate, depending on style) are driving forces behind it so if you are not into that, you probaply never will like extreme genres. In any case, there are more themes in metal than those too.
You've gotta remember that metal is often heavily melodrama driven, to the point of over-the-top sometimes, from beauty and beast, power and masculinity, and senseless violence and occult and dark side of man. (these latters being mostly used in extreme metal obviously)
I list some more accessible, not extreme metal for you. Perhaps you get a hunch what metal is like generally. Perhaps extreme genres open up later.

For heavy metal, Judas Priest - Painkiller is excellent example. Other than ANNOYING singer, this song is pretty much an epitome of basic heavy metal riffing and soloing.
Judas Priest on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (obviously check the song painkiller first I recommend)

For power metal, there are a lot of examples. Some are just faster and more epic than normal heavy metal, some are so-called "flower-power" or euro-power metal with heavy fantasy themes.

Eidolon, good example of older style powermetal, not heavy metal but not thrash either.
Eidolon on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Dark Moor is typical flowerpower metal. Very melodic. Check song Before The Duel.
DARK MOOR on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Rhapsody. If you like Dungeons & Dragons, this band is for you. Over the top Fantasy, polish your sword and go kill dragons.
smily_headphones1.gif
Any of their songs will do.
RHAPSODY OF FIRE on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Thrash, this is where that Megadeth song you listened belongs to.
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
YouTube - Metallica-Master of Puppets Studio version
Demolition Hammer - Omnivore (crappy sound quality in the video, couldnt find better version)
YouTube - Demolition Hammer - Omnivore

Gothic Metal. Who said that growling cant be beautiful? When I said melodrama earlier, this is prime example of it. "Beauty and the beast metal" as it is called, there is often a combination of demonish growling/screaming and angel voiced female vocalist. Clean male vocals are used too, there are choirs etc...
Tristania - Wormwood
YouTube - Tristania "Wormwood"
Tristania - Angina (this song has it all, screams, female vocs and monk choirs)
YouTube - Tristania- Angina
Trail Of Tears. Check song Fate Sealed In Red
TRAIL OF TEARS (NEW ALBUM COMPLETED)! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I might add extreme metal examples later.

This is so true. When I was a Sophomore in high school, I didn't listen to music at all. When I played football we always listened to rap, Metallica and Rammstein (and the occassional Lamb Of God mix). I never really cared for it until I listened to a screamo-emo band called Atreyu. I didn't and never have cared for the lyrics, but those guitar solos and sissy choruses got me hooked. From there, I only progressed in my need to satisfy my want for heavier, heavier stuff. More "blast beats" and intense riffs I'd say!

Sometimes, to realize a metal band is a great one, you have to look past the "ANNOYING" singers...
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #140 of 143
If you like midpaced deathmetal Fido, you should check out Jungle Rot. My fav album from them is Slaughter The Weak, though all their albums are quite good. Better than Six Feet Under IMO, and less wierd sounding singer too, relatively speaking of course...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #143 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like midpaced deathmetal Fido, you should check out Jungle Rot. My fav album from them is Slaughter The Weak, though all their albums are quite good. Better than Six Feet Under IMO, and less wierd sounding singer too, relatively speaking of course...
smily_headphones1.gif

Awwww yeah man Jungle Rot is the shuuhh...I like that War Zone album. I love that slower super heavy groove stuff with the droning power chords...killer! Listen to the Jungle Rot War Zone album and the song Savage Rite. That's what I really like. Autopsy is cool too...the Mental Funeral and Sh**fun are good. Thanks for the tips friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back