What's so good about metal?
Jan 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #46 of 143
Metal hardly has something for everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

It's got something for everyone that likes metal tho...

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 143
That's why I said "almost" everyone.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 143
Quote:

I'm really feeling Megadeth, but not so much Metallica. What does Thrash Metal mean?

Thrash was born when bands started mixing some hardcore and punk elements to metal. Melodic sides got less attention and fast machinegun riffing with small note changes and some breakdown riffs here and there was focused on. Point was to make metal faster and harder and straightforward, and barking vocals and screams were used too in more extreme forms. Megadeth (which Dave Mustaine started out when he was kicked out of Metallica because of uncontrolled drug abuse), despite being Thrash metal, is quite mellow example. Personally I find very little "Thrashing" in it, thats why I'm not really a fan of Megadeth, and I guess thats the reason why Megadeth was always a second band on the charts after Metallica, to Mustaines chagrin.
smily_headphones1.gif
Metallica in the other hand had excellent combination of straightforward Thrash songs and some Metal ballads here and there, so catchy yet so brilliant.

Other examples of Thrash Metal:

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
YouTube - Metallica - Ride The Lightning (Studio Version)

Slayer - Raining Blood
YouTube - Slayer - Raining Blood (Studio Version)

Kreator - Coma Of Souls
YouTube - Kreator-Coma of soul(original music video)

Morbid Saint
Morbid Saint on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Check song Scars

Thrash got faster and faster, though it had its limits, you can only be that fast before it gets indecipherable. Epitomes of very hard and fast Thrash are Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint IMHO, music like theirs already skip the border to Extreme Metal. Thrash later pretty much gave birth to extreme genre Death Metal, which added more elements and variety to it than just speed and machinegun riffs.

Couple of Death Metal samples, different styles.

Death - Together As One. Thrash roots are very obvious here.
YouTube - Death - Together as One

Morbid Angel - God Of Emptiness. Different type of deathmetal, more occult. Great lyrics and creepy chorus. Wierdly creepy music video too.
YouTube - Morbid Angel - God Of Emptiness

Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror. Cannibal corpse is a prime example of deathmetal with full focus on blood, gore and senseless violence, torture. Intentionally over the top, not to be taken seriously. I think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfgcbtg7Lw8
Cannibal Corpse - Decency Defiled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0OGpRq0Lic

Morbid Angel - Chapel Of Ghouls
YouTube - Morbid Angel - Chapel of Ghouls

Hate Eternal - Victorious Reign. Technical deathmetal. You could say this is the progressive version of deathmetal, though they generally tend to fall in useless technical wankery of l33t guitar and drum patternz and skillz.
YouTube - Hate Eternal - The Victorious Reign

Now, there you got a sample of one extreme side of metal too. If you dont get Metallica, then perhaps this branch of metal is not for you. A shame, as this is my favourite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #49 of 143
My wife used to hate metal or at least couldn't "get it". I said "you gotta see it live sometime". Well we went to a Black Sabbath reunion with a bunch of bands like Pantera and Rob Zombie etc....well she liked it after that. heehehe Like asmox said it's the freakin energy man...no other genre puts that energy, power and emotion out in the same way. IMO

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #50 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is it. do you write professionally?

Not really. I've just had pretty specific opinions on metal for a while now, so these days it comes out naturally.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #51 of 143
I just don't get it either. The fixation with death, demons, etc, as well as the falsetto and satanic voices is a bit of a distraction in getting to like the music. It reminds me a bit of Opera.

I have listened to Opeth, Pantera, System of Down, Deftones and a few others.

I wouldn't classify Black Sabbath as metal either.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #52 of 143
Black Sabbath are the fathers of metal. Listen to Iron Man and Paranoid, you'll see the birth of metal.

Dream Theater cannot be called progressive metal. It honestly is too weak and too slow to be called anything but "rock".

I don't think anyone can be explained the power of metal. You either get it or don't.

I've noticed that if you've had a relatively happy childhood, then metal is not for you. If you've deal with some ****, either at home or in school, then it just speaks to you on a very emotional level.

I'm sure there's probably a 1 in a million type thing, but I've never met a person that had loving parents that are still together, who had everything growing up, was popular in school, was pleasing to the eye (very related to popularity), and was into metal. Their life is just too cheerfull for what metal is. Metal is to music as horror is to movies. I find people who dig horror flicks also dig metal.

And finally, asmox, you won this thread.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #53 of 143
Someone mentioned Nightwish. Aren't they Gothic rock? Anyway, along with Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and some stuff from Evanescence they're pretty good.
As far as Metal goes, i would recommend pretty much every album of KoЯn except See you on the other side which had only a few nice songs and one is on the bonus disc, first three albums of System of a Down, almost everything from Marilyn Manson, last two albums of Disturbed, Static-x, Black album from Metallica and similar. If you happen to like this "more polite" types of Metal you may evolve in to something stronger like Slipknot, and then go even higher like some members mentioned here. I personally prefer Nu and Heavy Metal. All the rest is too much for my taste but that doesn't mean it will remain like that forever.

EDIT: forgot to mention, for some reason, one of my favorite Metal bands Rammstein. I particularly like their "clean" recording.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #54 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Sabbath are the fathers of metal. Listen to Iron Man and Paranoid, you'll see the birth of metal.

Dream Theater cannot be called progressive metal. It honestly is too weak and too slow to be called anything but "rock".

I don't think anyone can be explained the power of metal. You either get it or don't.

I've noticed that if you've had a relatively happy childhood, then metal is not for you. If you've deal with some ****, either at home or in school, then it just speaks to you on a very emotional level.

I'm sure there's probably a 1 in a million type thing, but I've never met a person that had loving parents that are still together, who had everything growing up, was popular in school, was pleasing to the eye (very related to popularity), and was into metal. Their life is just too cheerfull for what metal is. Metal is to music as horror is to movies. I find people who dig horror flicks also dig metal.

And finally, asmox, you won this thread.

I think you maybe onto something there Bojamiajms...but you don't want to stereotype or classify...this IS good music it's just different from the mainstream. I say this as I blare Carcass into my ears via Grado SR80's and Graham Slee Voyager/iPod Classic...YES!! \m/ I am bashing my head on the table right now....FTW!

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #55 of 143
Well everyone stereytypes to a degree..
wink.gif
I'm just stating my personal observance.. I know not EVERYONE fits the mold of what I described but in general, I think it applies.

I'll also add one thing. As a guitar player, I'm very drawn to the intricacies, melodies and the techniques (and speed) of metal solos. Its enough to make a man tear up sometimes.

Manly tears of course =D

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #57 of 143
Quote:

You obviously haven't heard their newer material, correct?

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #58 of 143
Quote:

So would you say that metal is more about the message from the music rather than the sound itself? Or both, as in the sound creates the message (because honestly with all that screaming in the extreme stuff, trying to make out the lyrics is like deciphering a code)

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #60 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you say that metal is more about the message from the music rather than the sound itself? Or both, as in the sound creates the message (because honestly with all that screaming in the extreme stuff, trying to make out the lyrics is like deciphering a code)

It's both. And you need to understand that people have different tastes. Let me put you this way: for every single thing in existence (made or not) there's always someone who likes it. If you don't like it and give your opinion about it that's fine. If you don't like it and try to pick on people who do, that's not. I may be wrong but that's how it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back