What's so good about metal?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 143
Nightwish is definitely releasing more songs that are single material, but they're still far from pop, at least by my country's standards (USA). That said, I'm surprised they didn't release "Cadence Of Her Last Breath" as a single. Could have been their break through into the US market.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 143
Well, perhaps "pop" is too extreme, but it certainly is not very metal anymore. In fact, I count their music style closer to Evanessence and such. Even their nowaday singer, this isnt a comment about her skill as she is very good, fits that kind of music better than epic metal Nightwish used to do.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 143
forsberg, IMO, you gotta listen to the hallmark albums of metal.. and not death metal or black metal or melodic power metal or any of that crap (i hate power metal for the record.. too girly for me)

Albums:

Metallica - Ride the lightning, ...And justice for all, Master of Puppets

Megadeth - The system has failed (Kick the chair is a fantastic song), Rust in Peace

I'll keep it short.. listen to those and I bet you'll enjoy metal a lot more.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forsberg, IMO, you gotta listen to the hallmark albums of metal.. and not death metal or black metal or melodic power metal or any of that crap (i hate power metal for the record.. too girly for me)

Albums:

Metallica - Ride the lightning, ...And justice for all, Master of Puppets

Megadeth - The system has failed (Kick the chair is a fantastic song), Rust in Peace

I'll keep it short.. listen to those and I bet you'll enjoy metal a lot more.

Hallmark to you, maybe. Not a fan of either band.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool is one of the bands I cannot listen to. Their songs are too long and repetitive.

Funny thing, I've been so used to Opeth's 10+ minute long songs that songs like Lateralus and Schism just don't seem so long any more.
biggrin.gif

Also, long Pink Floyd epics like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Echoes and Atom Heart Mother Suite.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 143
Nothing can take away the importance and brilliance of Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Rust In Peace, they are indeed Hallmark albums and a must have for even the casual metal head.

So far the recommendations have been spot on. I for one couldnt stand growling or screaming for a very long time, but I slowly got into it. The aggression, power, anger, and energy is what makes me listen to metal. The sheer force of a metal band in good sync with one another and chugging along is such a good release.

Safer bets have already been mentioned like Megadeth and Metallica.

Pantera is probably a gradual transition into a bit more screaming and yelling. Still mainstream sounding, not progressive or technical, but some kick ass riffs and chops.

Lamb of God is also fairly easy to get into, if you can stand their lousy guitar solos. Some good riffing, and the drummer Chris Adler is fantastic.

Kings X is not exactly metal, but Dogman is a great album, and probably classified as metal.

These are generally more rock oriented metal that have mainstream appeal. If you get into the various subgenres of metal then you would have to pick favourites from each one based on which subgenres you prefer. I would also suggest giving Pandora a shot, try put in a song you like and see where it takes you from there.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 143
I haven't been a serious metal listener for almost 10 years, but I still return to it periodically.

Why? No other genre can invoke that carnal, dark, burning energy that is latent in every one (in some amount of another). If I'm preparing for a bag workout (or, back in the day, a rugby or hockey match) there's nothing better to get the adrenaline flowing than some fast, brutal metal.

Extreme electronic genres like breakcore and even some of the harder dubstep and jungle taps into the same energy, but not quite as effectively as metal.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 143
Btw don't listen to metal with a lot of distortion on any hi-fi equipment. I find that it doesn't translate very well.

Metallica and Machine Head and other bands which have somewhat cleaner guitar and long solos are good, but death metal bands like Amon Amarth sound better on cheaper headphones which roll off the highs.

IMO of course.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #24 of 143
Try some Dream Theater. I don't know what subgenre it'd be but i like to call it... Epic Metal. lol.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 143
Quote:

Btw don't listen to metal with a lot of distortion on any hi-fi equipment. I find that it doesn't translate very well.

Metallica and Machine Head and other bands which have somewhat cleaner guitar and long solos are good, but death metal bands like Amon Amarth sound better on cheaper headphones which roll off the highs.

IMO of course.

Recording quality varies immensely among metal bands. Headphones more suited to replicating distorted guitars (IE Grados.
biggrin.gif
) will give you the most in this regard, but I agree that the poorly-recorded stuff sounds better through cheaper phones sometimes.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some Dream Theater. I don't know what subgenre it'd be but i like to call it... Epic Metal. lol.

Progressive Metal.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #27 of 143
Quote:

IMO of course.

I'm trying to decide whether that's a hijack or a thread-crap.

Anyway...

Hogwash (IMO). Clean vs. distorted is not the same as good recording vs. bad recording. A good recording will generally give better satisfaction when played back on superior equipment (why else would we be here?) - even if the guitars are distorted and the vocals are growly.

Now get back on topic, or I'll turn this car around and we'll all go home.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 143
Quote:

IMO of course.

Amon Amarth's albums has some good production values. Most of the modern day death metal has a decent level of production. And why the heck would they sound better on headphones with roll off highs? All metal sounds worse with roll off highs, the metallica edge in the drum beats are absolutely necessary.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #29 of 143
I'm in the same boat, most modern metal to me sounds very mechanical, without much soul. A few hard bands I do like are Amon Amarth and Opeth, and of course Dream Theater and Tool - but some might consider those two to be rock rather than metal.

People will explain their own personal experiences and assure you that you simply don't appreciate the complexity of it, or whatever... but really, if you don't like it you just don't like it, simple as that. You're allowed.

I'd say try on some 80s metal for size. Metallica and Megadeth have been mentioned but I didn't see anyone suggest Iron Maiden. You can try plugging them into pandora.com and see what else turns up.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 143
One of my favorite things about metal is the extreme amount of musical divergence that exists within the parent genre. Metal is at the point, now, where genre classifications are nigh useless and more of a headache than an accurate representation of any kind of reality - and I think that's absolutely awesome. The multitudes of differing musical elements and styles that have been brought together under the metal aesthetic, and the many wonderful bands worldwide that continue to push such amalgamations are among the top qualities which make metal so good, in my eyes. The only genre that even comes close (or maybe even exceeds, in some ways) is electronic music.

More so than that, the great thing about metal is its broad implementation of contrast and its pervasive sense of energy. Regardless of how heavy it is; regardless of how technical you get with time signatures and polyrhythms; regardless of how sophisticated you get with arrangements; regardless of what abstract methods a metal band comes up with to break down rhythm/melody/harmony; regardless of what kind of non-metal elements bands choose to bring into their sound - it's all brought together with contrast and energy. Contrast in light and darkness; beauty and ugliness; fear and hope; soft and loud; simple and intricate; austerity and warmth - whatever the case, metal extends a sense of pathos that many other musical styles simply lack.

The sky is the limit for the world of metal. There are no formulas which have not been broken, or are not currently being broken. There are no combinations or stylistic deviations which are taboo. There are no limits on instrumental or compositional complexity; no limits on emotional appeal or lack thereof; no limits on thematic content. At one point on the spectrum or another, metal has it all - and that's what's so good about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back