What's Next? Recommendations and Help
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ceeloChamp

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I am currently at an impasse. I am kind of stuck wondering what the next step is in my audiophile hobby. Currently my headphones in use are: 64 Audio A8, Sennheiser HD650, Nighthawk Carbon, Sennheiser HD1 Over-ear. My desktop setup is Schiit Asgard 2, and Schiit Modi. My portable is Dragonfly Red.

I HATE carrying around portable amps, but I work at a computer all day so I was thinking the Mojo would be a good next investment and would replace my current Modi at home, but also bring it to work. I also am thinking I could get the Bifrost or Modi multibit, but then I couldn't use them at work.

I really want to build a great work/travel rig, so I am also interested in a nice DAP (Sony WM1A), but I am worried that it just won't sound that good. I want whatever I get to potentially be able to power more expensive, flagship headphones (not sure which ones those will be), but I want it to be versatile. Or I could get the mojo. Or I could one of the above multibits, or I could just save my money for really nice Mr Speakers Aethers, but I think I am probably good on headphones for now.

Any advice at all would be lovely, thanks!

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 16
Personally, I like very much the idea of a Mojo for you along with either a WM1A or something like an AK KANN. That would be a pretty sweet portable setup. Not sure if you have read about the KANN but it is a very nice DAP, too. Worth a look. It is possible it could also work for you.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 16
Personally, I like very much the idea of a Mojo for you along with either a WM1A or something like an AK KANN. That would be a pretty sweet portable setup. Not sure if you have read about the KANN but it is a very nice DAP, too. Worth a look. It is possible it could also work for you.

I do, I loved the KANN, but the issue is that you can't store offline content from Tidal on Astell & Kerns :frowning2:. Which is horrible because I'd get one. So you are suggesting getting the Mojo and a WM1A? If the WM1A powers enough headphones well enough maybe I just get a stay at home DAC like a multibit Bifrost...or should I just start with the Mojo? I know nothing about DAPs.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 16
You could certainly just go with a WM1A for your portable rig--it has a reasonably robust power supply. Then you could go for a Mimby or Bifrost (or whatever) for the home. That would probably work for you. That said, how well the WM1A will drive a hard-to-drive planar, I don't know--I have never seen it done. Of course, that assumes that the hard-to-drive planar (which is theoretical) needs to be portable--which it may not. I guess what I mean to say is, if you are going to buy a difficult-to-drive headphone, you may need an amp--of some kind--to properly drive it. That is just my take and YMMV, of course.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 16
You could certainly just go with a WM1A for your portable rig--it has a reasonably robust power supply. Then you could go for a Mimby or Bifrost (or whatever) for the home. That would probably work for you. That said, how well the WM1A will drive a hard-to-drive planar, I don't know--I have never seen it done. Of course, that assumes that the hard-to-drive planar (which is theoretical) needs to be portable--which it may not. I guess what I mean to say is, if you are going to buy a difficult-to-drive headphone, you may need an amp--of some kind--to properly drive it. That is just my take and YMMV, of course.

I think that's what I'll do then, it'll be nice to have a portable setup that doesn't require me stacking a DAC/AMP on my phone, then I can just do with the Bimby for home. I wonder if the Mr Speakers Ether C would sound good from the WM1A....that will probably be my next big headphone purchase.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 16
Just like you said though, If I get somthing like a Ether C, I should probably also get a better amp, because do I really need those to be portable? Probably not.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 16
I just realized that the WM1A doesn't have Wifi, which is a deal breaker. Do you know anything about the Sony NW-ZX2?

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 16
I just recently read a review of it on What HiFi. They loved it, except for the video playback, which trails most any smart phone--of course. I haven't personally heard the ZX2 so can't comment from personal use experience--sorry. It certainly looks solid from a distance.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 16
I owned a ZX2 for a while. It sounded great and the WiFi worked fine for me. It's widely respected, although you're stuck with Android 4 and the associated security flaws and slightly elderly user interface. It does allow Google Play right out of the box though, so you won't be exposing yourself to side-load risks.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 16
After much deliberating I pulled the trigger on the Ibasso DX200. Seemed like a good fit, but man is it hard to find a TOTL DAP that has WiFi, allows streaming, and also allows streaming apps offline mode.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 16
Tinnitus Man I love that Spy-vs-Spy picture, I remember playing that game on the old school Nintendo

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 16
What is your favorite all-time DAP?

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 16
oops, sorry wrong thread! Lol, but feel free to answer that question anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back