What's next? D2000 vs. Beyer DT880 vs. MS2i. Need for recommendations.
Jun 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #18 of 43
The soundstage is exceptional on the DT990s.  I assume we're talking about the 990/600 here, which comes highly recommended for those genres.  I would take them over the Grado sound for rock, too.  Awesome cans.

They aren't perfectly neutral, but I like relatively neutral cans most of the time, and I absolutely love the sound from the 990s.  They don't have magical, shimmering mids, but they never allow the guitar and vocals to get drowned out.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 43
I have a d2000 powered by a kicas amp. And the bass is good, nice and deep. I agree with the recessed mids but it's not too bad. I do have a little problem withthe highs, specially with rock guitar. I a/b'ed it against mu UM2 last night (listening to cold in the desert by KOL) and he highs on the guitar isn't as warm and it seems to crackle(is that bright or simbilant?) but in all I really like the d2000. Been listening to alot of MJ on it and it's a blast.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #21 of 43
I'd go for the Alessandro MS2i, they sound kickass for rock and metal. Electric guitar in particular is so righteous on them, even more so than on the RS1 IMO. If you can stretch your budget, add the Grado HF-2 to your list of options too.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
I'd go for the Alessandro MS2i, they sound kickass for rock and metal. Electric guitar in particular is so righteous on them, even more so than on the RS1 IMO. If you can stretch your budget, add the Grado HF-2 to your list of options too.

How would HF-2 compare to MS2i and RS1 (or RS2)? which one is more detailed? I know Grado is not known for details. I only own MS1is now. But what would be the best grado for me if I want a little more detailed phone.

Thanks

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 43
I like the D2000 for rock and metal.  But the D2000 requires some careful EQ to make rock and metal work right.  Otherwise the recessed and sucked out mids can ruin the music (ruin is too strong of a word but it does suck the life out of some songs).  With the EQ there is no real need to markl mod.  No need to open up the headphones and go DIY.  Doing the EQ though does require that you use a media player that allows you to add a good parametric EQ.  Foobar, or J River, or even WinAmp.  A 5 band graphic EQ will not cut it.

The EQ curve I use is in my sig.  It's not a carefully optimized curve.  Just good enough for me to be happy with the D2000 with rock and metal (and classical as well).

In comparison to the HD580 the HD580 is better in that it doesn't need any EQ.  However with rock music the HD580 is not aggressive enough.  There is not enough punch in the bass drum kicks.  It puts a "polite" presentation on the music.  Transients and attacks and any kind of a sharp type of sound seems to be rounded off and made less sharp than it should be.  The overall effect is what I consider to be a "polite" presentation.

The D2000 gets you a bass that extends lower than the HD580 and has more punch.  Bass drum kicks sound like they should and give just enough punch to help drive the music.  For music like Dream Theater that just works very well.  The D2000 gives transients and attacks more edge and sounds more alive than the HD580.

Both the HD580 and D2000 give a similar presentation in that you are sitting farther away from the band and being surrounded by sound.  Vs. something like a Grado where you are sticking your head right in the middle of the band and being assaulted.  If you like that aspect of the HD580 you may also like the D2000.

The HD580 and D2000 are similar enough that you might find yourself wondering if you need both for rock music.  If you also listen to classical the HD580 still has a very good purpose.  But if you just do rock and metal you might find the HD580 to be redundant.  I personally like the D2000 better for rock and metal than the HD580.  I also often like the D2000 better for metal and harder rock than my Grado SR325is.  The D2000 sound just suits me better and I like the fullness and extension of the bass.  I don't find the bass overdone at all.  The bass is not out of control in any way (OK just a little lack of control from ideal).

Your Audio-GD amp should drive the Denon just fine.

My praise for the D2000 though is highly dependent on them being EQed.  No EQ, no D2000.  So you must be willing to EQ and have a media player that allows you to do proper EQ.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 43
You wrote that you don't want something brighter than MS1i, so just don't go to MS2i, it's just brighter and less smoother, the electric guitar sound more engaging though.

AD1000prm maybe? for me it's sounds nice for rock, it has forward vocal, good soundstage, a bit thin bass, but you get the speed. I've never tried AD900, AD1000, and AD2000, but from what I read, AD1000prm sound so close to AD2000 with better comfort.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 43
The AD1000 is supposed to sound more cold and clinical compared to the AD900s, and has a smaller soundstage IIRC.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #27 of 43
If you want to rock more with more music, then RS1 is the addicting sound key.
biggrin.gif

Why is Grado sound so addicting?
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
I have a pair of D2000s. I find the bass isn't the tightest I've heard but I don't feel it's out of control. The bass is generally just about right for me but then again I do like a bit more bass than I'd consider neutral. I have mine eq'd for the midrange and they do fairly well with rock but I feel the Alessandros/Grados are more suited for these genres as they are more aggressive/engaging. If I want to listen to something more laid back I reach for the D2000s or W1000s depending on my bass cravings at the moment.

Quote:
I like the D2000 for rock and metal.  But the D2000 requires some careful EQ to make rock and metal work right.  Otherwise the recessed and sucked out mids can ruin the music (ruin is too strong of a word but it does suck the life out of some songs).  With the EQ there is no real need to markl mod.  No need to open up the headphones and go DIY.  Doing the EQ though does require that you use a media player that allows you to add a good parametric EQ.  Foobar, or J River, or even WinAmp.  A 5 band graphic EQ will not cut it.

The EQ curve I use is in my sig.  It's not a carefully optimized curve.  Just good enough for me to be happy with the D2000 with rock and metal (and classical as well).

In comparison to the HD580 the HD580 is better in that it doesn't need any EQ.  However with rock music the HD580 is not aggressive enough.  There is not enough punch in the bass drum kicks.  It puts a "polite" presentation on the music.  Transients and attacks and any kind of a sharp type of sound seems to be rounded off and made less sharp than it should be.  The overall effect is what I consider to be a "polite" presentation.

The D2000 gets you a bass that extends lower than the HD580 and has more punch.  Bass drum kicks sound like they should and give just enough punch to help drive the music.  For music like Dream Theater that just works very well.  The D2000 gives transients and attacks more edge and sounds more alive than the HD580.

Both the HD580 and D2000 give a similar presentation in that you are sitting farther away from the band and being surrounded by sound.  Vs. something like a Grado where you are sticking your head right in the middle of the band and being assaulted.  If you like that aspect of the HD580 you may also like the D2000.

The HD580 and D2000 are similar enough that you might find yourself wondering if you need both for rock music.  If you also listen to classical the HD580 still has a very good purpose.  But if you just do rock and metal you might find the HD580 to be redundant.  I personally like the D2000 better for rock and metal than the HD580.  I also often like the D2000 better for metal and harder rock than my Grado SR325is.  The D2000 sound just suits me better and I like the fullness and extension of the bass.  I don't find the bass overdone at all.  The bass is not out of control in any way (OK just a little lack of control from ideal).

Your Audio-GD amp should drive the Denon just fine.

My praise for the D2000 though is highly dependent on them being EQed.  No EQ, no D2000.  So you must be willing to EQ and have a media player that allows you to do proper EQ.

I agree completely with the both of you. I don't find the bass out of control at all. I also prefer the D2000 over my Grado SR325is for metal and rock quite often. Though I think the D2000 still doesn't sound half bad without EQ, I can live without it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 43

Quote:

I agree completely with the both of you. I don't find the bass out of control at all. I also prefer the D2000 over my Grado SR325is for metal and rock quite often. Though I think the D2000 still doesn't sound half bad without EQ, I can live without it.

Did you guys do any mods? If not, it sounds like D2000 is the one to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back