What's next? D2000 vs. Beyer DT880 vs. MS2i. Need for recommendations.
Jun 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am kinda new to this hobby. I currently own HD580s (600 grill and 650 cable), MS1is, and ESW9s and love them all. That being said, the hd580s sound pretty different from the other two. As for the MS1is and the ESW9, while the MS1is is being more aggressive and the ESW9s is being more detailed, I found that they both have smaller image than the hd 580s and figured that I probably only need one of them. So I will probably trade or sell one of them (MS1is or ESW9s) and am looking for either an upgade to the current phones or a different taste of sound.

Music:

I listen of a lot of rock and metal. So the next phone will have to be good at rock and metal. Why don't I just get a grado and be happy? Becasue I also appreicate better soundstages and not sure if I want a phone that is brighter than my MS1is.

Amplication:

I currently have an Audio-gd Sparrow which drives the HD580s pretty well. I don't plan to upgrade the amp in the near furture. Not sure if you have any experience with the Sparrow, but I would like to make sure that the next phone can be well driven by it.

Candidates:

Here are a few headphones that I have been looking at:

1. Denon D2000: from what I read, they are fun to listen to but the bass could be out of control.
2. Beyer DT880 (250ohm or 600ohm, not sure): from what I read, they are more neutral but could be a bit boring to listen to.
3. Alessandro MS2i: from what I read, they are a good bet for rock and metal but I am wondering if I will hear a noticeable improvement from my MS1is.

Another reason I have listed these 3 phones is that they are in the same price range when buying used on this forum. With a tight wallet, I'd like to get the most bang for the bucks:).

Given the above, what would be your recommendation to me and why? If you have any other suggestions, please free feel to throw them out as well.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 43
Don't think you should get the Denons due to recessed midrange.

If you want a can that's good with those genres, plus has soundstage, and is easily driven, look no further than the AD900s :)

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 43
I have a pair of D2000s. I find the bass isn't the tightest I've heard but I don't feel it's out of control. The bass is generally just about right for me but then again I do like a bit more bass than I'd consider neutral. I have mine eq'd for the midrange and they do fairly well with rock but I feel the Alessandros/Grados are more suited for these genres as they are more aggressive/engaging. If I want to listen to something more laid back I reach for the D2000s or W1000s depending on my bass cravings at the moment.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 43

Quote:
As good as the Beyer is, scratch it off your list with those genres.

Sorry... but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I actually appreciate how my DT880/600's play rock.

Now if the OP want's to increase the slam factor then yeah... the Denons might do it, but so might the DT990 or DT770/80 if he wants closed.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 43

Quote:
Don't think you should get the Denons due to recessed midrange.

If you want a can that's good with those genres, plus has soundstage, and is easily driven, look no further than the AD900s :)

I was actually looking at AD900 and AD1000 as well. They both look good and receive a lot postive feedback from people. However, somehow it seemed that they are both unfavorably compared to D2000 based a few reviews done by poeple. That's why I didn't list them above. How will AD900 or AD1000 compare to my current headphones? Will they let me either hear an noticeable improvement or a different taste of sound? By the way, I forgot to mention that I don't use headphones on games or movies. 

Thanks

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 43
If your willing to invest some time and money in mods and J$ pads then the d2ks might be worth a look, but stock the d2000s aren't exactly the best for rock

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
I was actually looking at AD900 and AD1000 as well. They both look good and receive a lot postive feedback from people. However, somehow it seemed that they are both unfavorably compared to D2000 based a few reviews done by poeple. That's why I didn't list them above. How will AD900 or AD1000 compare to my current headphones? Will they let me either hear an noticeable improvement or a different taste of sound? By the way, I forgot to mention that I don't use headphones on games or movies. 

Thanks

Okay, you mentioned that you have HD580s, MS1s, and ESW9s. The HD580s are the laid back ones, so I'll compare the other two. The AD900s will have more details than the MS1 while being just as forward and engaging, which means they will be less smooth than the ESW9s in the midrange. They've got a sparkly treble and the bass extends deeply, and since your primary concern is soundstage, they have a huge soundstage, only slightly smaller than the AD700s if you've read anything on them. Plus, they don't even need an amp, and your Sparrow will drive them perfectly :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
Okay, you mentioned that you have HD580s, MS1s, and ESW9s. The HD580s are the laid back ones, so I'll compare the other two. The AD900s will have more details than the MS1 while being just as forward and engaging, which means they will be less smooth than the ESW9s in the midrange. They've got a sparkly treble and the bass extends deeply, and since your primary concern is soundstage, they have a huge soundstage, only slightly smaller than the AD700s if you've read anything on them. Plus, they don't even need an amp, and your Sparrow will drive them perfectly :)

Thanks for your input. What about AD1000? It seems that the AD1000 is not getting a lot of attention in here, and people say that they sound more close to AD900 than AD2000. Not sure how many people have actually heard the AD1000. Any idea on this? Thanks again:)

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 43

Quote:
what kind of mods will I need? and how much $ are we taling about? and more importantly, how will the mods help in terms of SQ?

Thanks

Markl mod - cheap and pretty easy - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-world-s-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods
The title says for d5000s, but the d5ks are just a d2k with wood cups and a better quality cable.

The Jmoney pads are another great upgrade, I got mine in great condition from a head-fier for 50 bucks, bstock direct from jmoney they are 43or44 and new they are 63(I think). if you don't want to splurge on the jmoney pads you can stuff the stock denon pads(described in the link) for a similar effect. IMO jmoney pads are superior to stuffed pads, but if its 60 bucks worth, thats debatable.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 43
More detailed and brighter, but I've never heard them myself.

As for the AD1000 comparison, it's the odd one out in the AD lineup, from all accounts sounds cold and clinical compared to the rest. I think the huge soundstage ends with the AD900s, as from what I hear the 1000 and 2000 don't have such a large one. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
Markl mod - cheap and pretty easy - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-world-s-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods
The title says for d5000s, but the d5ks are just a d2k with wood cups and a better quality cable.

The Jmoney pads are another great upgrade, I got mine in great condition from a head-fier for 50 bucks, bstock direct from jmoney they are 43or44 and new they are 63(I think). if you don't want to splurge on the jmoney pads you can stuff the stock denon pads(described in the link) for a similar effect. IMO jmoney pads are superior to stuffed pads, but if its 60 bucks worth, thats debatable.

Wow...that was easy?? I guess I am not a DIY person then. Thanks for your input:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back