What's inside the Grado cable?
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lumient

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone info about what's inside the very thick grado cable? Someone who has recabled them would probably know? A picture of cross section (something like in picture below) would be nice.

Querschnitt_LWL.jpg

If I've got it right, there should be 2 kinds of cable on current models:

Standard copper connecting cord (SR60-SR225)
UHPLC copper connecting cord (SR325i-RS1/GS1000)

I was suprised that according to Grados website iGrados also have UHPLC copper connecting cord. Seems a bit strange to me.
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phoenix feather.

HaaHaa
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Fishtank filter hose, and magnet wire. Thats why it rattles when ya shake it. lol

Who knows what the heck is in there. I really dont like the look and feel of grado wires, but i do like the headphones.
Theyre classy crap. They rot, but i cant do without them...lol.

Theyre beautiful junk...lol.

Someone out there must have a broken grado of each type and can open the cable and photograph them for us.

The igrado has a very thin wire in it, so please dont tell me their top cans got that thin wire feeding them!

Grado- a Love/Hate relationship i cant do without
smily_headphones1.gif

My favorite trash
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 13
If you've recabled a Grado before, you'll know.

I didn't take mine apart below the Y, but it seems like a 22awg 4 conductor cable. No extra shielding like that picture. Just the conductors, each jacketed. Then a molded jacket over the four conductors.

I may be wrong on the AWG, just an estimate.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 13
Yeah i love grado,,they stink...lol

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 13
what Punnisher said. not shielded...but jacketed. in the rs1 cable it's white, red, and two dark blue jacketed cables. the wires are quite thin...nothing especially remarkable about them, IMO.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 13
sorry to resurrect... but just had to bump this for more opinions.....
especially on the upper ends ....

and what awg wire grado phone uses in their phones?

i guess im just trying to compare the 325i stock cable directly to the cardas 4x24 cable.... that seems to be a nice pairing and worthy upgrade....

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 13
bump/edit:
also.. seems like some of the newer mid to high range grados have 8 conductor cable... any comments on opinions on that and how that would improve sq? i guess it would be very interesting to see

if the quad recable trend goes by the wayside and emerge a new 8 conductor wire trend?

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 13
I realize I'm bumping an OLD thread... sorry for that but I cant find a cross-section picture of the 8 conductor cable.

Specifically, is it shielded? twisted? anything different that a typical 8 conductor snake cable?

I thinking of buying a Grado extension cable, and replacing the cable on my 325's with it to make it longer... and eliminating that stupid "Y" thats always twisted.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back