What's Currently the Best Cans and Earbuds for Rap/Hip Hop under $200?
Jul 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

HydroTurtle

100+ Head-Fier
What is currently the best pair of cans for rap/hip hop under 200$?
I'm looking to use these at home.  I'm looking for a good bass and of course great sound quality.

What is the best pair of Earbuds for rap/hip hop under $200?
I'll be using these on-the-go.  I'll also be looking for a great bass and SQ.

I plan to use them both on my Sansa Clip+ unamped.  Might eventually get an amp though.

Thanks in advance Head-Fi!

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 26
hmmm.. about the HFI 780's... I LOVE the shiny looks but
how's the comfortability? durability? bass?
can i wear em for a couple hours?
i might consider these when i upgrade from my bass-lacking ms-1i's eventually.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Yeah, less bass = better :p Looked into the M50s?

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 26
I had to tone down the bass on the 780s...it's massive. It's not muddy at all though, it's clear and powerful. Durability? They're absolute tanks. Comfort wise though they're probably around a 7/10, but they do get better with time. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 26
Oh, and about the HFI-780s, the bass is quite present, punchy compared to my other bass monster can, the Beyer DT770 Pros. Also have a more forward midrange. Very uncomfortable though.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
I had to tone down the bass on the 780s...it's massive. It's not muddy at all though, it's clear and powerful. Durability? They're absolute tanks. Comfort wise though they're probably around a 7/10, but they do get better with time. 

I absolutely disagree with you. I owned the 780 for a few months. To me, they're a garbage can. Built like crap, they fell apart within the first month of use, and the sound was dismal. The tonal balance was absolutely awful, nothing sounded natural at all, hot treble, smeared bass, midrange was somewhere between nasal and muddy. Overall a huge waste of $200. My $0.02
bigsmile_face.gif

A lot of people choose the DT770 for your preferred generas, but they do need amping. A lot of people enjoy the JVC/Victor FX700 also, although I'm going against my usual rule of not recommending equipment unless I've heard it (which I haven't). A friend of mine also has the Audio-Technica CKS70, and they also do hip-hop well.

Good luck, and happy listening!

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 26
You waited less than 20 minutes before bumping your own thread? Jesus.

There are so many threads about this that it isn't even funny.  Why not look at the headphone roundup, it will just already list everything that we will list here.  Senn 25-1, Ultrasone (many), AKG K518/K181, audio technica, etc.  Supposedly the Phillips and the JVC cans are amazing values right now, from companies that historically haven't been involved in this market at the high end.

Search, man.  Read for an hour or two, and after you're tired, just go out and buy one of the recommendations.  You will be more than happy with any of them.  The minor differences in the choices people will recommend are just personal preference, brand loyalty, etc.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 26
I will recommend the Shure SRH750DJ. I really love these cans and feel they sound a lot better than the M50. I like the tighter bass of the 750 DJ and even with bass boost there is no distortion. Comfort can be an issue but I had no problems and my head is huge.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
any recommendations for IEM's?

Radius DDM's or the new Teknines whenever they come out.  Kevin is the only one I know who has heard the 9's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back