What's a good DAC in the 300 dollar price range that doesn't require DIY?
Jun 5, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #61 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who are targeting Herandu instead of the topic:

Please keep in mind that the OP is asking for opinions ("What's a good DAC in the 300 dollar price range that doesn't require DIY?"), and Herandu has offered his. If you happen to not agree with him, you have the option to state your opinions, too.

If you don't appreciate Herandu's writing style or enthusiasm for the Beresford, that's your prerogative. But, IMHO, this isn't the place to attack either enthusiasm or style. Again, the OP is asking for opinions re inexpensive DACs, and we're all free to plug in our own two pennies.

Attacking him? Nobody is attacking him at all.

When someone makes a statement such as this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These days I hang around a different forum where Mr. Beresford himself answers questions and carries out mod ideas with existing customers. I get at least a far better sense of what the DAC is capable of, instead of minor chatter.

He's basically completely discrediting Head-Fi and it's members. He's acting as if he is a "be all know all source" of information.

He then goes on to say this..

Quote:

Best bang for your bucks it is for sure. Except for the Stella and the Benchmark, which other DAC below U$2000 can touch it in stock form? None.

So now he is saying that the Opera, GCHA, and MANY other fine products out there with DAC's are not anywhere near the quality of the Beresford?

No people are wanting to know what other DAC's he has actually heard. Why? Well then we might take him a bit more serious. It seems like he almost works for Beresford with the amount of praise he gives the Beresford.

Quote:

I happen to stumble on a few comments about the TC-7510 on http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/15325.html
There are a couple other buyers of the TC-7510 there who agree with my sentiments that the TC-7510 can't be touched by a single DAC other than the very high-end stuff. I think too many of you guys are focusing on the looks and the price. People with better systems and better knowledge of audio equipment than most of you here have done a far better job in evaluating the TC-7510.
I am not saying that one is not free to waste your money buying something far more expensive in the believe you'll get better. It's unfortunately not true.
The Zhaolu is a poorly sounding DAC that needs mods left right and center just to get it to sound any good. But still many of you believe it to be good value for money when you can get something far better in the TC-7510, and at a better price. So is your search based on getting the best sound, or are you just following trend, only to then sell your cheap Chinese DAC on the quiet on eBay or something?

Once again he is putting down a large majority of the members on Head-fi. He isn't contributing anything to the thread but preaching about the Beresford and putting down anyone who doesn't share his view point of it. It's rather repulsive.

Before you go and say that we're "Attacking him" read his posts too.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #62 of 108
^ I have to agree with this

A few weeks ago I was thinking of giving the Beresford a try, but some of this sort of loony enthusiasm put me off quite a bit. It may actually be a good DAC, but I think I'll wait around until someone puts it to the test against other DACs.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #63 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few weeks ago I was thinking of giving the Beresford a try, but some of this sort of loony enthusiasm put me off quite a bit. It may actually be a good DAC, but I think I'll wait around until someone puts it to the test against other DACs.

X2 the enthusiasm isn't that reassuring.
oh, and how does the spitfire compare to the beresford.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #64 of 108
I was very close to buying the Beresford, but this whole ordeal put me off on it...along with the shipping from Taiwan -_-

That's ok though, because now I have a source that I can upgrade all to hell
biggrin.gif
Can't wait til it's Oritek time.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who are targeting Herandu instead of the topic:

Please keep in mind that the OP is asking for opinions ("What's a good DAC in the 300 dollar price range that doesn't require DIY?"), and Herandu has offered his. If you happen to not agree with him, you have the option to state your opinions, too.

If you don't appreciate Herandu's writing style or enthusiasm for the Beresford, that's your prerogative. But, IMHO, this isn't the place to attack either enthusiasm or style. Again, the OP is asking for opinions re inexpensive DACs, and we're all free to plug in our own two pennies.

I'm a proud owner of the Beresford DAC, and my purchase and enjoyment of it has been influenced by Herandu as well as others. I appreciate his enthusiasm and considerable knowledge and experience in this area. He's a gentleman through and through, and his only motivation is to help others in Head-Fi.

So, returning to the topic -- I would also recommend the Beresford DAC, based on personal experience with the DAC in my HR Desktops. (I've never owned or tried other stand-alone DACs.) Teamed with equally inexpensive tube or SS amps, it's excellent, coming quite close to the HRDs. It's also great without a separate amp -- using the built-in amp and HP out.

I agree that we're all entitled to our opinions, and perhaps Herandu's trying to help.

The only thing I have an issue with is that he makes it out that the 7510 is the be all and end all under $2000 which is not true. It's not helpful because a new user may stumble upon this and take it as matter of fact, when in fact it is not. So I feel compelled to clear up this misconception and give a more thorough and well rounded outlook on things.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #66 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that we're all entitled to our opinions, and perhaps Herandu's trying to help.

The only thing I have an issue with is that he makes it out that the 7510 is the be all and end all under $2000 which is not true. It's not helpful because a new user may stumble upon this and take it as matter of fact, when in fact it is not. So I feel compelled to clear up this misconception and give a more thorough and well rounded outlook on things.

I completely agree. He certainly has squelched any interest I ever had in the Beresford...

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #67 of 108
wow i'm surprised so many people have been discouraged from trying this DAC - I'm sure it's quite the opposite effect than was desired

I encourage people to try the 7510, afterall it may just be your cup of tea. but don't be dissapointed when it's not "the greatest thing under $2000" that "blows everything else out of the water"

the other issue is that others may be discouraged from trying anything else that may suit them much better because they've been told they have the best product possible, which in audio is hardly possible as it's all subjective and tastes actually can differ between different people

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if anyone would like to send me one for testing i'd be more than happy to compare it to my modded dac-ah and zhaolu =D

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #68 of 108
I'd just like to know which 13.5V PS I'm supposed to get to improve performance.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #69 of 108
Quote:

wow i'm surprised so many people have been discouraged from trying this DAC - I'm sure it's quite the opposite effect than was desired

I encourage people to try the 7510, afterall it may just be your cup of tea. but don't be dissapointed when it's not "the greatest thing under $2000" that "blows everything else out of the water"

the other issue is that others may be discouraged from trying anything else that may suit them much better because they've been told they have the best product possible, which in audio is hardly possible as it's all subjective and tastes actually can differ between different people

Good point. I didn't expect this negative reaction to a product, too, but I'm beginning to see how there may be a point of diminishing returns when views are overly positive. At some point, the positives begin to backfire? But, yeah, the downside is the possibility of missing out on a product that's actually very good.

Quote:

if anyone would like to send me one for testing i'd be more than happy to compare it to my modded dac-ah and zhaolu =D

Not mine! It's hooked up to the DVD for viewing concert videos (with the Little Dot 2++)! Even a day without it would be too long.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #70 of 108
Well I happen to own some of the DACs discussed in this thread.

1 7510 MKIV (rig at work, with stock PS)
1 stock Zhaolu 2.5A
1 OMZ 2.5A ver 1.2 (before the option of digital board processor removal and optical switch)
1 OMZ 2.5A ver 1.3 (received last week and burn-in day and night currently)
1 Presonus Central Station (did not get a chance to listen to it yet, what a shame. The manual looks a little bit complicated, I have thought to connect it to a unbalanced power amp but it looks not suggested after some readings)

Since they are in my different systems I cannot comment on any comparison. After my newest OMZ is burned in I plan to put them together to get some "subjective" ideas. So far I like OMZ very much, 7510 is excellent as well. stock Zhaolu is a little too bright.

Herandu if you can suggest a 13.5V PS that will be helpful.

BTW, does Presonus CS need burn in as well? Another novice question, in the manual it writes ¼” TRS Active Stereo for headphone output, that is the same as any other head amp which I can plug in my headphone directly, right?

Quote:

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #71 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I happen to own some of the DACs discussed in this thread.

1 7510 MKIV (rig at work, with stock PS)
1 stock Zhaolu 2.5A
1 OMZ 2.5A ver 1.2 (before the option of digital board processor removal and optical switch)
1 OMZ 2.5A ver 1.3 (received last week and burn-in day and night currently)
1 Presonus Central Station (did not get a chance to listen to it yet, what a shame. The manual looks a little bit complicated, I have thought to connect it to a unbalanced power amp but it looks not suggested after some readings)

Since they are in my different systems I cannot comment on any comparison. After my newest OMZ is burned in I plan to put them together to get some "subjective" ideas. So far I like OMZ very much, 7510 is excellent as well. stock Zhaolu is a little too bright.

looks good man! can't wait to read your impressions. should be very interesting indeed

Quote:

BTW, does Presonus CS need burn in as well? Another novice question, in the manual it writes ¼” TRS Active Stereo for headphone output, that is the same as any other head amp which I can plug in my headphone directly, right?

i would imagine that burn in would help, if just to remove any doubt from nay sayers. and yes, a TRS connector is just your regular headphone jack

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #72 of 108
Quote:

Yes please do

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

I could buy a TC 7500 for half the price then the price of the TC 7510. (From a discount shop in Germany, where i live.)

It´s looks like the same, just in grey then in black. Does anyone know if the TC 7500 is far inferior to the TC 7510?

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could buy a TC 7500 for half the price then the price of the TC 7510. (From a discount shop in Germany, where i live.)

It´s looks like the same, just in grey then in black. Does anyone know if the TC 7500 is far inferior to the TC 7510?

Hmmmm...I've read quite a bit about the 7510 and will probably buy one once I've saved up enough (Herandu's enthusiasm works for me), but I've never heard of the 7500. Doesn't seem to be much info on it on the web either. I'd suggest emailing Stanley, the guy who makes the Beresford, and asking him about what he's changed from the 7500 to the 7510. You can try:

StanleyB@homehifi.co.uk or info@homehifi.co.uk

From what I've read, Stanley is a very straightforward and friendly guy. Good luck!

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #75 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would avoid paralysis through analysis and just go for the 7510. You usually get what you pay for and it's not like you'd be saving thousands of $$$ anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back