What's a good DAC in the 300 dollar price range that doesn't require DIY?
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #91 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am amazed at all the controversy surrounding this product.
I, for one, actually own one. I am not hyping it for the simple fact that I have never owned any other external DACs and can't really say how it ranks. I wish someone out there, besides the "usual suspects" would post a shootout of the Beresford and a few other popular DACs. With pictures for the skeptics.

Happyhifibasten (see his earlier post) comes pretty close to having done a shootout, and the Beresford emerged as excellent in his preliminary view. Your restraint in withholding a recommendation based on limited firsthand experience with other standalone DACs is admirable, but I think your opinion would still be valuable. Head-Fiers all tend to have pretty good ears. Regardless of differences in rigs and preferences in music, we seem to share common standards re sound quality. In the end, it's the sum of the whole that matters and not the individual opinion. But the sum would be less without the honest input of each part. This less-than-perfect method is all we have, i.e., until God (or whoever the One really is) in all his omniscience decides to become a headfier and serves as ultimate arbiter of the best. But I doubt He'd do that because that would take all the fun out of this messy business that we're all grinding in.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #92 of 108
I am not sure if I have enough posts to comment, but I have the Beresford and love it. I own two other relatively inexpensive DACs (Behringer SRC2496 and an Entech 203.2). I have never compared the Beresford directly to the Behringer (which I think sounds better to my ears than the Entech), so I can't say if it is better or not. However, I would buy it again at the price they sell it for. It has four digital inputs and the headphone section has supposedly been improved since I bought my MKIII. I use it with an X-can V3 and I think they are a nice match.... to my ears. However, your milage may vary.

As a side note, when dealing with Stanley, he was extremely quick to respond to any questions before I purchased it.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #93 of 108
Seems my posting number brings down the credibility of owning those DACs
confused.gif
My wife will definitely protest after approving the budget of my collecting habit. Well she is nice enough agreeing that I get a pair of Klipsch RF-7.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happyhifibasten (see his earlier post) comes pretty close to having done a shootout, and the Beresford emerged as excellent in his preliminary view. Your restraint in withholding a recommendation based on limited firsthand experience with other standalone DACs is admirable, but I think your opinion would still be valuable. Head-Fiers all tend to have pretty good ears. Regardless of differences in rigs and preferences in music, we seem to share common standards re sound quality. In the end, it's the sum of the whole that matters and not the individual opinion. But the sum would be less without the honest input of each part. This less-than-perfect method is all we have, i.e., until God (or whoever the One really is) in all his omniscience decides to become a headfier and serves as ultimate arbiter of the best. But I doubt He'd do that because that would take all the fun out of this messy business that we're all grinding in.

I plan to do a short shootout next week between OMZ and Beresford. I will try the stock Zhaolu 2.5A (without any mod at all) as well just to have some ideas. At the time my OMZ will have more than 200 hrs burn in time. I will also start burn in the presonus CS this weekend and add it in later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you remember where you bought it and how much it was? It weighs 9 lbs so shipping costs probably won't be cheap.

I got it from ebay and don't remember the exact price I paid (proabably about $42 including shipping).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tday01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happyhifibasten,

Let us know if you get any improvement with your external power supply. I found one contrarian on another thread who said the Beresford sounded worse with his 13.5V power supply.

Interestingly, despite all the hype, I couldn't hear a much of a difference between the MF XDacv3 with wallwart and XPSU. That was doing a blind comparison (either me swapping and wife listening or vice versa).

Sure will do.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #94 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to do a short shootout next week between OMZ and Beresford. I will try the stock Zhaolu 2.5A (without any mod at all) as well just to have some ideas. At the time my OMZ will have more than 200 hrs burn in time. I will also start burn in the presonus CS this weekend and add it in later.

Thanks! Looking forward to reading it!

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #95 of 108
I finally got my feet out of the swamp of work and spent a few hours doing some comparison listening last Sunday. Since time is limited, I only listened to OMZ 2.5A and Beresford IV.

Regarding to the power supply of Beresford, I tried my Astron RS7A on it earlier and couldn't tell any difference so I am using stock PS for this round of listenning.

Overall Beresford is very good. It produces natural sound and notes are accurate. As a whole unit it is very balanced, without atificial tremble and over-bass. Since I use it frequently at work I am very used to its signature, and never feel fatigue after hours of listening.

But when OMZ kicks in, I realize this is the music that really touches me. Comparing to Beresford it is more detailed, with better instruments separation and most importantly, the sound stage is huge. I was attracted to it so much that sometimes I forgot I was doing the comparison.

Music listened: Pink Floyd, Beethoven, Eagles, Norah Johns, Sarah Brightman, etc

Components used:

Ori Modded Zhaolu 2.5A ver 1.3 (with switch on the back for coxial and toslink), Volex 17604
Beresford TC-7510 IV with stock PS
APE to Prodigy flashed AV710 toslink/Trends Audio UD-10 coxial out/Toshiba 3990 coxial out
Pre-amp/headphone amp: Phil PA-HA-6000 MK3 (with Volex 17604)
Headphones: Senn HD580, Yuin PK1
Amp: Trends Audio TA-10.1
Speakers: JBL 4410
Coxial cable: BJC Belden 1694A
IC: BJC LC-1

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #96 of 108
Thanks happy for getting back to us on the starts of a very interesting comparo. Although I have a beresford dac I am looking to "upgrade" and some insight as to comparisons with the TC7510 are helpful. I am interested in the OMZ because of its soundstage presence. Can you make a further comment on it's detail, especially concern its high end? TIA

oh and although this thread is cool, maybe posting a separate thread would be better?

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #97 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for a DAC that doesn't require any DIY to sound great,
My cans are K701s, so anything considered 'warm' is ideal.

Keep an eye on this company, MHdt Labs ( http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEFSQ3aMESOI ).
They sell a Constantine DAC for around 250-300$us, and I would recommend it for your needs. Sounds great stock.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #98 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep an eye on this company, MHdt Labs ( http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEFSQ3aMESOI ).
They sell a Constantine DAC for around 250-300$us, and I would recommend it for your needs. Sounds great stock.

x2....

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #99 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you always speak so condescendingly? it doesn't make for productive discussion and i generally ignore everything after reading such a snobbish introduction.

$0.02

I agree with you D-Cee. Herandu, careful with your wording. Reading a few of yours posts, most people will take offense to some of the things you said (even if you did not intend for that to happen). It's ok for you to like that DAC and others not to. Best thing to do is stay calm and not get defensive.
^_^

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #100 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took an interest in the Zhaolu 2.5a but quickly became overwhelmed by all the upgrades, and the people saying it sounds bad without any mods. Any suggestions for a DAC that doesn't require any DIY to sound great, or even some help understanding this Zhaolu business would be very greatly appreciated.

My cans are K701s, so anything considered 'warm' is ideal.

edit: My current sources are an iPod lineout and an X-fi Xtreme Music...so please make sure suggestions are much better sounding than these things!

Look for a used Ack DacK,I have a1.3 version & it fits your requirements.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #101 of 108
My situation is quite different since I made this topic. I thank everyone for all the discussions in this thread that have been helpful. Check the sig =p

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #102 of 108
Ah, so you did decided to go and have Ori mod your DAC. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #103 of 108
No doubt about it, thanks
biggrin.gif

It's on its way and I'm excited as can be.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #104 of 108
Presonus Central Station is around $400 shipped with all kinds of features including a good headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back