What would you pay for Orpheus???
Apr 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought my first Grados from Audio Ark a few years ago, before i knew about Head-Fi. at the time, they were the only game in town for Grados. i remember feeling a bit sheepish about shelling out $120 for the SR60s, but the staff were really friendly and put me at ease, slid the box across the counter like i was buying a pack of gum from a convenience store.

now if they'd told me they had a $7000 headphone behind the counter, that would have really put me at ease.

One of the reasons I went there was to audition the Grados. I think they are still one of the few that actually sell them around here. Gramaphone apparently does as well.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #62 of 82
Just to update on this:

I went back to Audio Ark today and the Orpheus was gone. They wouldn't tell me who bought it, but it sounds like a Head-Fier did pick them up.

The guys at the store were baffled at how many offers they got on these phones, which had been sitting there for quite some time now, by just mentioning them on this forum!

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #63 of 82
...a bit of advertising usually helps!
biggrin.gif

Especially when the price is right.

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #65 of 82
I'm just happy that they went to a Head-Fi'er and that nobody did the (*usual*) stupid thing of complaining vigorously to the sales people about how much more they would have paid for them, etc.

It's not often that you can find a deal like this, and to be 110% honest, if I had run across this thread right way, I would have bought them in a heartbeat even though I already have a complete Orpheus system in Cayman! I could "use" another one for my motorhome in the US.

As I was reading through this thread, I knew I was dead in the water the minute I saw the link to the company's website! Too bad Tom Hankins didn't get the Orpheus. He's one of the good guys around here.

I'm dumbfounded that the sales guys didn't bother to do a simple Google search to find out what an Orpheus system goes for these days. Anyone who still thinks the marketplace is defined by who walks through their doors has been asleep for at least 10 years. Even after the phone started to ring off the hook all at once, they still didn't do their homework.

Had they found this thread, they could have doubled the sales price and it still would have been a pretty good deal for a Head-Fi buyer at about US$11.5k, assuming that the amp and cans are both in good shape.

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #66 of 82
I'm too late to say "$12 and a cheeseburger"?

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #67 of 82
i emailed them saying i was interested about 40 mins-1 hour after the link was posted and was told there were a few people ahead of me.

congrats to whoever got it - a great deal.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #68 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just happy that they went to a Head-Fi'er and that nobody did the (*usual*) stupid thing of complaining vigorously to the sales people about how much more they would have paid for them, etc.

It's not often that you can find a deal like this, and to be 110% honest, if I had run across this thread right way, I would have bought them in a heartbeat even though I already have a complete Orpheus system in Cayman! I could "use" another one for my motorhome in the US.

As I was reading through this thread, I knew I was dead in the water the minute I saw the link to the company's website! Too bad Tom Hankins didn't get the Orpheus. He's one of the good guys around here.

I'm dumbfounded that the sales guys didn't bother to do a simple Google search to find out what an Orpheus system goes for these days. Anyone who still thinks the marketplace is defined by who walks through their doors has been asleep for at least 10 years. Even after the phone started to ring off the hook all at once, they still didn't do their homework.

Had they found this thread, they could have doubled the sales price and it still would have been a pretty good deal for a Head-Fi buyer at about US$11.5k, assuming that the amp and cans are both in good shape.

Funny thing is these guys really seemed to know there headphones. We talked for quite a while about Different Senns, Ultrasones, UE-10s and so on. They had never heard of Head-Fi though!

I also wish they had gone to Tom. I think whoever got them may be looking to flip them (probably not on this site anytime soon!) because he/she hasn't identified themself yet... That would be a shame.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even if they were a bit beat up doesnt Senn still service them? Even after repair costs its a bargain.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #70 of 82
The headphone appears to be in mint condition except for one fairly deep fingernail mark on top of the black leather head band and there's like a 6 inch scratch mark on the left side of the wooden box. The amp was covered by a thin layer of dust. Apparently, it hasn't been demoed in years and just been sitting there since.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #71 of 82
I wonder (even though they are old) if they are still under warranty since they were an in store demo?

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder (even though they are old) if they are still under warranty since they were an in store demo?

There's no warranty for the demo pair they were selling since the store is no longer an authorized Sennheiser dealer. Those were the only Senns product they have left. Original price of $18,000cad down to a clearance of $6999.00cad.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #73 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the going market price for the headphone/amp Orpheus package these days?

I ask because I stumbled upon a set at a local shop for what seems to be a great price of $7000 Canadian. (About $5650 US current exchange)

What do you guys think?

Ok, so here's the deal: the next time someone finds an Orpheus system for under US$6k, send me a PM immediately for a $1k finder's fee (assuming that I'm able to buy the system at that price). Consider it your reward for being my pal. That, and I won't ever ban you no matter what you do or say...
duggehsmile.png

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #75 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to believe that the Audiogon seller you are referring to is Lobster_king, who regularly violates the TOU on Audiogon.

Shoot shoot shoot! I always get that backwards, and inadvertantly slander the gentleman from KuboTen, who is an excellent seller and resource for Japanese headphones. Thanks for the correction, Monkey, I'll edit it immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back