What would you pay for Orpheus???
Apr 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, unless you REALLY want them. Do they let you try it in store?

I didn't ask to try them. I would imagine you could, as long as you look the part (ie BIG SPENDA!) After all, what kind of guy would drop that kind of money on headphones without a demo first?

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Orpheus" means it's system with amp\dac unit incleded or just the HE 90 headphones?

Amp included, yes.

Someone on here must be itchin' to buy these at this price...

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen quite a few sets of Orpheus popping up in the FS forum since the beginning of this year...

The headphone market is such a unique niche of consumer product. Demand has grown exponentially yet supply of outstanding quality product has been stagnant. Add in the collector and audiophile 'search for nirvana' mentalities and you get huge increases in price for legendary headphones.

I think along the way we constantly re-evaluate where our priorities are and where we want our money to go. Considering my income, If I bought an Orpheus headset for $4,500 I would constantly re-evaluate its necessity if market price went to $8,000. That happened to me with the Sony R10. I couldn't justify keeping it even though its my favorite headphone I have owned by a great margin.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #33 of 82
So, what would I pay for an Orpheus.... I would give my kidney, and you?
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone actually interested in inquiring about this set, here's their website:

Audio Ark

They aren't listed on the site, but they were there as of yesterday.

Did you give it a listen at the store?

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you give it a listen at the store?

No I didn't. They didn't have it set up for demo. Amp was in one room on display, phones where in a box on a shelf behind the cashier. I didn't ask because I figured they wouldn't take me for a serious buyer (too young, casual, etc.)

I don't think I would want to listen. It would probably ruin my experience with my lesser headphones!

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I didn't.........I figured they wouldn't take me for a serious buyer (too young, casual, etc.)
!

This shouldn't mean anything.

A friend of mine (now sales manager at a major mixer manufacturer) used to be a salesman at a music store in "tin pan alley" in London in the 1980's.

One day a dirty, smelly, tatty chap came in and started to mess around with a £10,000 synth. The manager wanted to throw him out, but my friend said "the shop's empty, it can do no harm" so they let him carry on and he left shortly after.

Later that afternoon they got a phone call "I understand his lordship was in your shop earlier looking at a synth. Please will you deliver it to xxxxx and we'll have the money ready when you arrive".

Nice big sale that the manager almost lost.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Here endeth the lesson.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #38 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's the real mc coy and still works, hell ya. I saw just the HE90s on ebay for 8k.

Link?

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Was the second batch of HE-90 released around 2004? Sennheiser sold around 30 units of the headset (no amp included) through Dr. Meier for $4,500 each. Considering the latest listings for the headset have been in the $8,000 range, thats a pretty sharp increase in price in the last few years.

They were actually $5,000 each, but I'm just nitpicking.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #40 of 82
Just told them I would take them if the price is right. The guy had to verify with the manager. he is calling back.
Tom

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 82
I am waiting for the callback now. But I AM NOT BACKING OUT. Im sitting here with card in hand.
Tom

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 82
Well they called. Turns out i am #2 on the list, if the first guy or gal isnt serious they are mine. This sucks!

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

I think along the way we constantly re-evaluate where our priorities are and where we want our money to go. Considering my income, If I bought an Orpheus headset for $4,500 I would constantly re-evaluate its necessity if market price went to $8,000. That happened to me with the Sony R10. I couldn't justify keeping it even though its my favorite headphone I have owned by a great margin.

I have been doing that constantly. However, the HE90 is pretty much the best electrostatic there is. If I ever sell, I won't get one again. So far, even at its $8000+ value, I can't make myself let it go. The R10 is still my favorite headphone to just listen, and I've held onto two of them. I was able to convince myself that three R10's was overkill, and sold one of them, but two is my bottom limit.

$8000 US was the approximate retail price for the headphone alone, IIRC. With amp, the set went for around $14,000, IIRC. The headphones sold by Jan Meier were actually priced below the original retail price of the headphone, at least in the US. Used value appears to be around the original retail, or a tad higher. The amp has not appreciated in value as much as the headphone, but is still a gorgeous looking and sounding piece.

Whoever buys that set will have a great system, or will be able to resell it easily (and at a tidy profit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back