What would you pay for Orpheus???
Apr 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #16 of 82
Basically, what all the posts are saying here is that it is a good price compared to other sales of it, but in the overall view of things, that money can be used on so much other stuff.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #17 of 82
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I think HE90 totally worth the price they are going for. It is certainly more of a collector type item and can't be judged by practicality alone. Think about half a million dollar watches, 1 million dollar cars, .... there you are!

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 82
I doubt the HD800 will touch the orpheus from what i've read about it. I think it'll be more likely to be like the he60. Just a guess.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the going market price for the headphone/amp Orpheus package these days?

I ask because I stumbled upon a set at a local shop for what seems to be a great price of $7000 Canadian. (About $5650 US current exchange)

What do you guys think?

Seeing as there were only 300 Orpheus headphones made I think that is a superb price if it's in good nick.

My understanding was that the price had actually gone *up* and the going rate was higher than retail.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 82
Seems like a good price from what I have seen? I would not spend that on headphones though, If I had 5000 I would buy something really useful like a cartridge
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #23 of 82
If I used headphones instead of speakers I would spend the same as I spent on my last two pr. of speakers to get the Orpheus headphones. (HE90).
7K is a good price to have IMO the best sounding headphones made, and less than I spent on my Thiels or my harbeth/Rel speakers.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #24 of 82
If I had the money I'd buy it.
Unfortunately I'd have to give up all the audio gear I have now and then some in order to get that set. Not gonna happen.

But that price is REALLY tempting... If someone was in the market for one, no further thinking would be required!
Its the whole set right? Amp and headphones? Damn, its a great price!

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's less than the HE90 usually goes for around here. Still, I wouldn't pay that much for headphones. I think there's a Magnepan 20R pair going for $4,500 on Audiogon. That's what I'd get. Or I'd buy a vintage car to wrench on or maybe put it down on some real estate.

I agree, unless you REALLY want them. Do they let you try it in store?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #26 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as there were only 300 Orpheus headphones made I think that is a superb price if it's in good nick.

My understanding was that the price had actually gone *up* and the going rate was higher than retail.

Was the second batch of HE-90 released around 2004? Sennheiser sold around 30 units of the headset (no amp included) through Dr. Meier for $4,500 each. Considering the latest listings for the headset have been in the $8,000 range, thats a pretty sharp increase in price in the last few years.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 82
The 7K must be for just the headphones?? I doubt you could get the complete orpheus for that price. if so its a great headphone system and an even better investment.
There are a pr. of HE90s for sale on Agon now for 8500.00.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, but perhaps the HD800 will turn the Orpheus into a Fiat.

I have seen quite a few sets of Orpheus popping up in the FS forum since the beginning of this year.

I wouldn't go that far, but certainly, the threat of the HD800 could hold back many potential buyers of the HE90. If that leads to a drop in its (inflated) resale market value remains to be seen.

I would definitely not consider it as a safe investment, but there are other factors to consider than money for such a unique product.

Additionnally, when you reach those level, I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. So the real question is : would YOU pay this amount of money for the Orpheus... Noone else can answer that question.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 82
I'd pay $200 for the cans and $150 for the Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back