What would you pay for Orpheus???
Apr 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #46 of 82
What synth is 10.000 uk pounds???

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I think HE90 totally worth the price they are going for. It is certainly more of a collector type item and can't be judged by practicality alone. Think about half a million dollar watches, 1 million dollar cars, .... there you are!

When you make under 20,000 a yr they aren't. If I had a 6 figure income they would be worth it too..

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #48 of 82
Just got back from auditioning the demo.
biggrin.gif
The orpheus system is a detail monster! I had to pass up on this opportunity though. There's about 5 ppl in line on the waiting list. Mostly from the US. Going to make someone down the border really happy! From what the rep told me, 6 orpheus systems have been sold in Edmonton.

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, Tom! Just don't go LobsterSan on us.

Not sure what that means, but I am setting by the phone waiting. i sure hope the person before me backs out.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #52 of 82
I would easily be willing to pay those $5,600.
Considering that the HE90 alone tend to sell for $7-9,000...

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what that means,

Lobster_king is the a'gon nickname of a notorious scammer. He does nothing but flip headphones, driving prices up in a small market. You really don't seem like the type, but I do hope you're not buying them just to resell them here.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #54 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen quite a few sets of Orpheus popping up in the FS forum since the beginning of this year.

I wouldn't go that far, but certainly, the threat of the HD800 could hold back many potential buyers of the HE90. If that leads to a drop in its (inflated) resale market value remains to be seen.

I would definitely not consider it as a safe investment, but there are other factors to consider other than money for such a unique product.

Additionally, when you reach that level, I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. So the real question is: would YOU pay this amount of money for the Orpheus... No one else can answer that question?

Aaahh, the rabbit hole is finally going to get deeper.

But back to the question. What would I pay for the Orpheus system? How much is the HD800 and Zana Deux combined? That is how much I would pay for the Orpheus, as long as it sounds just a smidgen better than the HD800/Zana Deux combo. Time will tell. Time will tell.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

LobsterSan is the a'gon nickname of a notorious scammer. He does nothing but flip headphones, driving prices up in a small market. You really don't seem like the type, but I do hope you're not buying them just to resell them here.

Tom mentioned to me that the #1 in line was from a "headphone site" according to the salesman.

Now, I wonder what headphone site that could be... hmmmmmm

Let me think, what headphone sites do I know of? LOL

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #56 of 82
I've listened to them for 40mins yesterday through the audio research cd7. Having heard the HP2 and K1000, I was expected to be totally blown away by the orpheus for that pricetag. While the orpheus sounded impressive with its superior clarity and smooth sounding, it didn't swept me off the floor like the HP2 or RS1/MAD combo did :p

Music sounded somewhat thin and sibilant through the orpheus. Maybe a more amp will help? anyways, I'm glad the sound didn't entice me enough or bank account would be in big trouble
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

LobsterSan is the a'gon nickname of a notorious scammer. He does nothing but flip headphones, driving prices up in a small market. You really don't seem like the type, but I do hope you're not buying them just to resell them here.

If I got them. Then someone offered me a price i could not refuse, i would not refuse. How that = scammer, I dont really get?

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #58 of 82
There are some people who pay just to audition them....dont know how they ll pay to actually own one

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #59 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Store is Audio Ark in Edmonton, AB, Canada if anyone wants to check em out.

124 st, 107 Ave.

i bought my first Grados from Audio Ark a few years ago, before i knew about Head-Fi. at the time, they were the only game in town for Grados. i remember feeling a bit sheepish about shelling out $120 for the SR60s, but the staff were really friendly and put me at ease, slid the box across the counter like i was buying a pack of gum from a convenience store.

now if they'd told me they had a $7000 headphone behind the counter, that would have really put me at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back