What would be good upgrades for ESW9s?
Jun 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bryangww

Head-Fier
Hi all, Ive recently sold my ESW9 because they didnt isolate well and were abit uncomfortable due to their size. The sound however was amazing and I really like everything about the sound signature.

Now looking for full sized cans that can deliver same or better sound. Was looking at ATH W1000 and went to audition but apparently as what many have already said. The bass was really lacking, even the little esw9 had much more punch. Any ideas on what would be good, id prefer if they were woodies. But any other suggestions would be taken into consideration.

Thanks people!

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Have you tried the W1000X?  The sound signature between the W1000 and the W1000X is supposedly quite different.  

Sticking with woods with bass but not ATH I would say the Denon D5000 is worth auditioning.     

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 14
FX900 for portable. Pro 900 for full size. I would've been happy with either. But I bought both :D

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
FX900 for portable. Pro 900 for full size. I would've been happy with either. But I bought both
biggrin.gif

You heard the ESW9? Ill go check out the pro 900. thanks

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 14
To my ears the Pro 900s sound nothing like the ESW9s. The mids are thinner and the bass is far stronger on the Pro 900s, and they don't have the warm sound of the ESW9s. CFabian's recommendations seem to be your best bet.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I sold my esw9 after I got the pro 900. Fx700 sound signature is closer to esw9 than pro 900. I was surprised that fx700 actually sounds better than esw9. So all my portable unamped listening is straight out of fx700.

I got Pro 900 to compliment my HD580 when I want more bass. Since it folds nicely, it kind of replaced esw9 as my transportable running out of dacport. Pro 900 is much better than esw9 to me - esp. soundstage, bass, resolution. Thought you can get away with running esw9 unamped but pro 900 unamped will sound thin and shrill.

So my perspective comes from practical usage + general SQ. Not really commenting on sound signature. ESW9 is a really special small headphone that gets your warm tubey sound from unamped DAP, which was the primary reason I bought it in the first place.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 14
Bump, as I want to know too. Which headphone takes the ESW9s' tonality and further refines the sound with a bigger soundstage.

Can anyone compare the W1000X to the ESW9s? OP, you seem to own both. If you could write a few thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Bump, as I want to know too. Which headphone takes the ESW9s' tonality and further refines the sound with a bigger soundstage.

Can anyone compare the W1000X to the ESW9s? OP, you seem to own both. If you could write a few thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, yeah, I finally decided to get the W1000X as upgrades to the ESW9. I can say they would be good upgrades in terms of comfort and soundstage. But IMHO if youre driving out of an iPod jack the ESW9s would be much better sounder than the W1000X. W1000x Would do great if you spend abit more on a better setup if you dont already have one. Im still quite new to the audiophile community so do take my opinions with a grain of salt.

If you are looking for Wood headphones that look superb and have excellent soundstage and clarity these would be great upgrades. Bass is solid and more than enough as well, but I feel its a little less than esw9. All that aside, id still get em cause i think theyre the best looking cans out there (to me). lol

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks. 
Is the overall sound signature similar? To me, the best part about the ESW9s are the mids - how are they on the W1000X? I think I'm pretty well set as far as amping goes.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Thanks. 
Is the overall sound signature similar? To me, the best part about the ESW9s are the mids - how are they on the W1000X? I think I'm pretty well set as far as amping goes.

Mids are very clear. But if i remember correctly the ESW9s mids were more forward that the W1000X. Not that the mids on the W1000X are recessed though. Just a little different i think. But cant go wrong with vocals on audio technica W series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back