What would be a significant upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro for music?
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 35
1st generation T1?

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 35
The Auteurs are very good and they look gorgeous!

I have both an auteur and a hd800 and love them both with my tube amps.

I would say the auteur’s great strength lies in its excellent tone. Music sounds lush and just…right. Yes, they’re also nice to look at! The technicalities are strong, without being at the ultimate level. Overall a very nice headphone that has withstood my constant need to buy and sell In order to hear new things :).

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 35
Never heard of it. Don't think i am willing to even look at something from a brand i know nothing about
Whether you've heard of them or not shouldn't matter; it's a headphone forum dude, have you heard of Abyss, Avatone, Stax, Dan Clark, LSA headphones, all excellent and well respected here. They'll blow you mind, unless that's not what you're interested in.
Open your mind, and do the research.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 35
hmm not really much out there in that price range that would have enough magic for me and would be a significant enough upgrade over what the OP has imo - unless you go used at least.

Well a lot depends on music type, system synergy etc. but if you really want something that is a significant upgrade I'd test out some STAX, Abyss or higher end Hifimans.
Within your budget you could probably easily get a used HE1000 V1, Arya or similar which easily beat everything mentioned in this thread if you ask me :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #23 of 35
Never heard of it. Don't think i am willing to even look at something from a brand i know nothing about

You'll never learn new things thinking like that.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #24 of 35

One of the most popular brands here, and for good reason.

I remember when I didn’t know what chicken tikka masala was…now I can’t imagine living without it. Delicious.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 35
Not a big fan with how on occasion the treble on the dt 1990 will be too much and hurts my ears a bit.

I just enjoyed the amount of detail and the soundstage capabilities of the dt 1990 and how i could seemingly hear almost anything though one complaint would be maybe voices didn't appear to be exactly centered depending on the audio track.

Initially i had considered maybe HD 800 from Sennheiser but probably not good as i never / almost never listen to classical or those kinds of music. I mostly listen to i.e. Imagine Dragons, italian pop, The Weeknd, James Bay, Lindsey Stirling, Of Monsters and Men, Sia, Harry Styles and older rock/metal from AFI, The Killers, Tenacious D, Disturbed, Eric Johnson to name a few.

Was thinking to maybe go all out on HifiMan Arya, was comparing it to Focal / Sennheiser / Beyerdynamic but am not 100% convinced on it. If I do purchase it it'll likely be the last pair i buy for the next 20+ years.
Your tastes seem pretty similar to mine. I had the DT 1990s for a good while but ultimately tired of their edge. Something like a Hifiman HE-500 is a step down in comfort but step up in tonal quality while retaining a ton of detail.

I will also say that I picked up a pair of Audeze LCD-2c and am very, very happy with them. I really like how they start out warm but still detailed and layered, and take EQ well and can bring the treble and subbass if you want it. It's almost like having 2 pairs of headphones.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 35
Whether you've heard of them or not shouldn't matter; it's a headphone forum dude, have you heard of Abyss, Avatone, Stax, Dan Clark, LSA headphones, all excellent and well respected here. They'll blow you mind, unless that's not what you're interested in.
Open your mind, and do the research.
Yes, I have heard of most of those.

And it does matter to me if i've heard of the brand or not.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #29 of 35
At some point in the past you'd never heard of Beyerdynamic either. I know I'd be missing out on my favorites without a little digging, and sites like Head Fi are fantastic places for information. You're in the right place.

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 35
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back