What was your first Headphone?
Jan 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #61 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pioneer, with white plastic cups that when over the ear. I bought those some time around 1968/69.

Apart from some christal earbuds, these were my first also. Pretty sure they were labeled SE-205.
Decent sturdy cans they were. Gave me hundreds of hours of listening pleasure, some 35 years ago...

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #62 of 115
My first real headset that didn't come with a cassette or CD player was the Koss Porta Pro. For the past 4 years I have been using a Senn 497. This past week I placed an order for an AT AD900 - can't wait to try them out.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #63 of 115
Be found Many people's first headset come with portable player such as Sony walkman.

For me the first hearset also is from Sony walkman, which No. is MDR-808. And then upgrade to HP890 ,KSC-75, then HD600 and K501.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #66 of 115
I was lucky. My first headphones were quite good for the time -- a Superex ST-PRO-B that my father purchased for me in 1968 or 1969. I think Superex and Koss were the biggest players back then. I remember spending quite some time comparing both the Koss Pro/4A and the Superex ST-PRO-B. Both were very good, considering the technology of the time. The Superex was $10 more -- quite alot of money at that time! As I recall, the Koss was priced at $40. Anyway, I decided on the Superex because of my perception of a more dynamic bass response.

For those that may be interested, here is a quotation from the brochure (yes, I still have it!) regarding the top model (PROB V) at the time:

"Bass response is spectacular -- without "bottom of the well," boomy sound. Highs are sweet, clear and sharp. The total effect is a performance excellence heretofore unobtainable -- and made possible by SUPEREX's exclusive woofer/tweeter concept, utilizing a calibrated and matched 2-way speaker system in each cup. Each "system" is tuned and ported."

Interesting, don't you think?

I still have the Superex, believe it or not, but can't wear them for more than a few minutes due to a vice-like grip that can cause a headache in short order. Of course, the earcup cushions wore out years ago. But that clamping pressure seems to have been characteristic of the time, borne out by jclinton46's post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclinton46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first decent phones I listened to were Koss Pro4a in the late 60's. I was in college so I couldn't afford them and spent what little money I could scrape together on a good turntable/cartridge combination then amps, speakers, etc. What I remember was how great the Koss sounded and the headache they gave me after 30 minutes or so of vice like grip. My first purchase was a pair of Pioneer headphones about 1973. They were uncomfortable from the moment I put them on. Finally dropped a lot of money in 1978 for a pair of Audio Technica electrostatics. They were comfortable and sounded great.

Sure didn't realize then that I would become a head-fier some 40 years later! I can't help but wonder if some other head-fiers have some Superexs lying around.

AV8TR

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #67 of 115
prolly some stock headphone that came with a PCDP player. My first "real" set of headphones are my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's. I got them about 3 months ago and love them so much.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #68 of 115
I was actually fairly lucky as well. besides cheap earbuds that came with my CD player, I bought E-888s as my first earbuds and after I broke about 4 of them, I moved onto AT Pro700s - which aren't as bad as say-V700s

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #69 of 115
First pair: probably the pair that cam with a Walkman back in the 80's.

First good pair: Sony MDR-V6.

First pair respectable at Head-Fi: Sennheiser HD-650.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #70 of 115
First: Those that came with ye ol' Sony Cassette Walkman.

First good pair: Audio Technica ATH-CK7

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #71 of 115
My first pair of headphones was a yellow colored "headbud" style looking thing mom bought me in 1993. No clue of the make and model. I think I had them up until around 1996.

The first pair of Full Size headphones I ever had was a Koss TD-65 in 1996. Headband adjuster broke about 6 months after getting them. Totally broke them in 2001 after I accidentally stepped on them.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #73 of 115
My first headphones were Philips SHP2000 which I got for about £12, had quite a lot of fun listening to those, but then I bought these Sennheiser HD 595 and have now given the Philips SHP2000 to a friend (and he tells me he likes them too)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #75 of 115
1st ever came with a maroon gpx am/fm cassette walkman for xmas when I was 6 or 7, we're talking early 80's. Fast forward to 1991, closed supra aural 60 ohm koss to go with my collection of megabass walkmen. Can't recall the model # CD3 maybe, I'm dying to find a pair for old times sake. Memory lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back