What was the last movie you watched?
Sep 5, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #136 of 456
Spider Man...it was kind of fun but the CGI looked very...CGI-ish...Kristen Dunst was nice...

Star Trek Insurection...it was just like watching a long version of the TV series...nothing special

Star Trek Nemisis...better than Insurection but not by much...Still nothing original...

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #137 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Here's a key word for you to keep in mind when taking recommendations, fractus2: *camp*. A movie that's being called camp is a movie that's not to be taken completely seriously. I've an interior designer friend who would doubtless giggle himself to death at Tokyo Drifter, but I suspect he'd love the art direction.

You know, I was thinking that with the DVD cover art work but I enjoyed the movie. That drain pipe hit with the Mauser is memorable in BTK. And all of the gratuitous T&A was welcomed. Not really a spoiler, but I loved the part where he shoots while driving right through the windshield without making any holes.

Sep 6, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #140 of 456
Just watched Finding Nemo. It's amazing to see how computer graphics advance with every Pixar release.

Sep 6, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #141 of 456
El Espinazo del Diablo

Amazing movie, it's now in my top ten favorite movies ever.

http://www.elespinazodeldiablo.com/

B000066C6I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sep 6, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #142 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Ran. The Stephen Prince commentary is much better than Peter Grilli's. I think this is the first Kurosawa movie with a special effect (not counting arterial spurts), and that lasted a few seconds.

edit: link

Do you have the newly remastered verion? The picture quality have been improved noticably.

P.S. The chick who got decapitated in the end is hot. I especially liked her psychotic laugh.

Sep 6, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #143 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Do you have the newly remastered verion? The picture quality have been improved noticably.

P.S. The chick who got decapitated in the end is hot. I especially liked her psychotic laugh.

I think so, it say Masterworks Edition on the cover. Yeah, Kaeda I think? She's an unusually powerful character for a Kurosawa film. Brought that house down big time.

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #144 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
El Espinazo del Diablo

Amazing movie, it's now in my top ten favorite movies ever.

<<<<<<<<<<< adds to Film Caddy rental list
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #146 of 456
I liked The Devil's Backbone (El Espinazo del Diablo) but was annoyed by it as well. While the film was beautifully storyboarded and executed, and the cinematography was gorgeous, the tone seemed bathetic and sentimental in ways that Ran's, for example, did not. (For those who are interested: the DVD contains multiple comparisons of storyboarded scenes with the final cinematic versions.) Del Toro has also gone on record as saying he's a die-hard Mario Bava fan, which earns points in my one-man neighborhood.

The film had many virtues, though. And it played out like an adaptation of the supernatural gothic magic realist novel that Marquez never wrote.

I do think Del Toro is a man to watch. And I approve of his having made The Devil's Backbone outside of the Hollywood system, since he seems to shuttle in and out of that pabulum-spewing world.

Sep 7, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #147 of 456
Just now on SciFi...typical "giant insects invade the subway" flick..."Mimic" is much better. The fun surprise part for me was seeing one of my favorite clients from my days as an agent in a really nice supporting role. Romano Orzari is his name, he is a really interesting actor

SPOILER AHEAD>>>>>>

and he actually doesn't get offed by the bugs till 1:30 into the film
smily_headphones1.gif

bugs_02.jpg

bugs_08.jpg

Sep 9, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #148 of 456
The Last Detail (1973). It's been awhile since I last saw this and it's always a great movie to watch. Always reminds me of that Ghost Busters quote: he's a Sailor, he's in New York, we get this guy laid we won't have any trouble.

Sep 9, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #149 of 456
"Mansfield Park" and "Orlando"....I watched them both last night and really enjoyed them, especially Mansfield Park. Both films are so well acted and beautifully photographed...it was a great way to spend several hours.

The art direction, set & costume design of Orlando knocked my socks off. And Tilda Swinton is astounding.

Thanks to jpelg for his suggestion I might like these after my reaction to Lawn Dogs.

mans.jpg

orlando.jpg

John

Sep 10, 2003 at 1:09 PM Post #150 of 456
Loved it. Super directorial debut by George Clooney. Sam Rockwell is an acting god and one of our national treasures. Drew Barrymore is just perfect in the film as well.

confessions.jpg

also watched Bulletproof Monk which is fun if you just pop the popcorn and sit back and enjoy the comic book aerial ballet fight sequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back