What was the last movie you watched?
Aug 29, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #107 of 456
King Rat, 1965 B&W. George Segal. Just got this DVD the other day. Based on James Clavell's novel, the movie follows this excellent book pretty well. A great movie about survival during WWII in a Japanese prison camp in Singapore. Some stomach churning scenes when you see what the prisoners eat to avoid starvation and any number of tropical diseases while incarcerated. I have to say that having the book as one of my favorites has allot to do with my high opinion of this movie, but reading the book is not required to enjoy this film.

Aug 29, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #109 of 456
Gangs of New York.

Now, don't kill me...

...but what the hell was that? I can easily say everything was pretty well done, especially being immersed in the 1860s, acting was pretty good, effects and fight scenes (I liked the style), all solid. But the presentation of the story...the rise to the last great fight scene, Bill dies, and then it's over. I completely feel it skimped out on the ending in a way that almost ruins the movie. Everything is enjoyable and memorable till the end, and then it feels like the whole thing was just nothing.

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #110 of 456
Watched this 1998 film because Sam Rockwell stars in it. I was not prepared for the incredible story that unfolded.

How have I missed seeing this small masterpiece?

The performances of 10 year old actress Mischa Barton and Sam Rockwell are astonishing.

Beautifully shot, with uneasy sexual tension throughout that is not for everybody and a fantastic finale.

This one I will buy to add to my small collection. The cover art is very missleading. Much as I like Kathleen Quinlan.....Mischa and Sam OWN this film.

John

lawndogs.jpg

Aug 31, 2003 at 1:00 PM Post #112 of 456
Samurai Rebellion. Very good story to this chanbara film. Toshiro Mifune is especially good as the avenging family head. You may also recognize Tatsuya Nakadai from Ran and Sanjuro (the guy with the pistol). All I can say is if you liked the showdown between Sanjuro and Hanbei Muroto at the end, you'll love this movie. That's all, no spoilers.

Aug 31, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #113 of 456
HK Flix is key for certain releases -- also as a way to pick up a region-free player, if you've tastes like mine and don't happen to live near Kim's Underground.

Here's a tip -- those who live in NYC should go to Chinatown and scour the DVD stores near the Manhattan Bridge. I picked up copies of Ichi the Killer and Battle Royale for $6.50. (BTW: a more complete version of Ichi is going to be released in the States fairly soon, if you can wait).

Here's another: The cheapest way I've found to order French DVDs is through the Amazon.fr site (Fantômas!).

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #115 of 456
Loved it in the theatre.....the DVD soundtrack gave my HT system quite a workout. It's like it was on steroids. Watched it with a good friend who had not seen it and seeing his enthusiasm during the movie made it even more fun the second time around for me.

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #116 of 456
Yesterday I took the family to see "Pirates of the Caribbean." What a fun movie, great effects, great soundtrack (gotta pick that one up), a lot of action. And Johnny Depp's character absolutely made the movie.

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:36 PM Post #117 of 456
Finally picked up the the Blue Underground release of Daughters of Darkness (topsoil-cheap at Deep Discount DVD), by that eclectic Belgian, Harry Kumel. Though I hadn't seen it in quite a spore, the film is still beautiful in its Crepax's-Valentina-meets-Dietrich-as-a-Cabaret-Nosferatu fashion. The interview with Andrea Rau is utterly endearing -- I've never seen a fifty-something-year-old former pin-up model have so much fun talking about pretending to be a spider. She even makes arthropod sounds ("R-r-r-r-aur!") and hee-hees liberally when gleefully describing her various suggestive vampire/spider moves. I do hope some fifty-something gent is benefitting (lasciviously) from her extra ageless verve.

Baba Yaga is even more stylized than that film, by the way. It's flawed but still a must-grab for fans of Guido Crepax. There's a documentary about Crepax himself as well.

Sep 2, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #118 of 456
Last film I saw was "28 Days Later". I thought it was a great film. I know some friends who thought it was one of the worest movie and a total waste of 2 hours of their life.. i dont know why they would think it's that bad??

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #119 of 456
In the last few weeks beginning with last night and working back:

*First Knight - own
*Mr. Wong, Detective - borrowed
*How to loose a guy in 10 days - rented, funny but won't buy
*The Great Escape - own
*Gods & Generals - rented and will probably buy

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #120 of 456
Hey... for being shot on DV I was damned impressed... & I hate feature film on DV...

Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Last film I saw was "28 Days Later". I thought it was a great film. I know some friends who thought it was one of the worest movie and a total waste of 2 hours of their life.. i dont know why they would think it's that bad??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back