What was the last movie you watched?
Aug 24, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #452 of 456
just got finished watching Shaun of the Dead, which is slated to be released here in the us very soon. definitely a must-see if you like zombie films. i think i enjoyed it more than the dawn of the dead remake from earlier this year. hilarious british style and humor, with some decent gore thrown in just for fun.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #454 of 456
Lone Survivor
Intense. Really really good! Everyone was quiet leaving the theater. If you're in the US, go see it. You won't be the same American you were before sitting down to watch...

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #456 of 456
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), directed by Ang Lee. A great story teller. You think the movie is about food, until the plot turns and if you blink you will miss it. Bam, bam, bam, all the way to the end. Amazing film.

Insomnia (1997). Original with Stellan Skarsgard (The Hunt for Red October, Good Will Hunting, Ronin). Much better than the 2002 Al Pacino remake. The ending, face fades darker to red, like a devil, then darker until you only see his illuminated eyes. Unreal.

Mostly Martha (2001). Thumbs up. Stars Martina Gedeck, who at times looks like a radiant Helen Hunt. Simply beautiful. Original version. Don't bother with the K. Zeta Jones remake.

Boudu Saved From Drowning (1932). Directed by Jean Renoir (A Day in the Country, The Lower Depths, Grand Illusion, The Rules of the Game, The Diary of a Chambermaid, The River). Stars Michel Simon (The Passion of Joan of Arc, Port of Shadows, The Train). Hilarious. Documented life in the early 30s.

Another Earth (2011). Looked interesting. I actually didn't hate it and watched it to the end.

The Achievers: The Story of Lebowski Fans (2009). Not good.

Big Night (1996), Minnie Driver, Ian Holm, Isabella Rossellini (Blue Velvet), Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Marc Anthony. Excellent, thumbs up. Top 5 of my favorite food movies. I live under a rock. I didn't know she was Ingrid's daughter (and Roberto Rossellini was her father). Was watching her and thought, she looks like Ingrid Bergman - I should google that later...

One Wonderful Sunday (1947), directed by Akira Kurosawa. Post war Japan Sunday on less than a dollar. Helps if you like Shubert's Unfinished Symphony (one of my favorites). He has 15 yen, she's got 20. They must have train passes because they account for every yen but ride the train a couple times. A rice ball never looked so good. Thumbs up. AK is the master.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013). I liked it. Fish in a barrel with the fda.

The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959). Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Richard Harris. Much suspension of belief during the scuba scenes. Not bad. Hitchcock originally wanted to do it - but turned it down and did North by Northwest instead.

Pusher (1996). Nicolas Winding Refn's first film (Drive). Mads Mikkelsen as the partner in crime. The ups and downs of a pusher. Outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back