what to get.... hmmmm SRH750, SRH550, ath-m50 ,crossfades, beats, bose
Jan 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #61 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
I personally got the fiio e5 and l3 lod combo on ebay ($40 CAD). Seemed like a good deal and good enough for someone entering the audiophile community (me lol). It says 4-7 days shipping time.. so I should see it next week.

Personally I'm just not willing to fork over 100s of dollars for an amp just yet.

ohhh wat does the l3 lod does?

yea make sense lol im a noob and not sure either on spending much yet

Here you go

Basically it acts as a line-out for your ipod/phone. If you use the headphone jack to your amp then it's amp to amp, if you use the l3 lod then it's line out to amp (better, because then the first amp isn't effecting the second amp). There's an l1 lod too, but I figured I shouldn't cheap on the wire quality (l3 lod is the "better" l1 lod lol). And c'mon, being a noob is fun, then you get to experiment haha.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #62 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I personally got the fiio e5 and l3 lod combo on ebay ($40 CAD). Seemed like a good deal and good enough for someone entering the audiophile community (me lol). It says 4-7 days shipping time.. so I should see it next week.

Personally I'm just not willing to fork over 100s of dollars for an amp just yet.

ohhh wat does the l3 lod does?

yea make sense lol im a noob and not sure either on spending much yet

Here you go

Basically it acts as a line-out for your ipod/phone. If you use the headphone jack to your amp then it's amp to amp, if you use the l3 lod then it's line out to amp (better, because then the first amp isn't effecting the second amp). There's an l1 lod too, but I figured I shouldn't cheap on the wire quality (l3 lod is the "better" l1 lod lol). And c'mon, being a noob is fun, then you get to experiment haha.

yea haha, more to explore ^^ i shall try that too thanks for the info bro

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #63 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
Hey diodiel, for what it's worth, my audio rig will be pretty much the same as yours: FLAC files on a laptop played by foobar, through a Fiio E7 into the 750s. Just wait until I get my hands on that E7...

PS: funny story. Today I had my ex try my 750s on her iPod (she uses stock Apple iPod earbuds). Then when she took them off and used her stock earbuds again she said she it wasn't like hearing the same music xD +1 for audiophiles!!!

nice. and to the op. i recommend getting an amp for your srh750djs because they tend to be a little hard to drive sometimes. the fiio e5 should do i am looking into getting myself one.

Really? You've found the SRH750DJs hard to drive? I haven't had any issues driving them out of my 4th gen iPod Touch. The volume never goes past 25%, even. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #64 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey diodiel, for what it's worth, my audio rig will be pretty much the same as yours: FLAC files on a laptop played by foobar, through a Fiio E7 into the 750s. Just wait until I get my hands on that E7...

PS: funny story. Today I had my ex try my 750s on her iPod (she uses stock Apple iPod earbuds). Then when she took them off and used her stock earbuds again she said she it wasn't like hearing the same music xD +1 for audiophiles!!!

nice. and to the op. i recommend getting an amp for your srh750djs because they tend to be a little hard to drive sometimes. the fiio e5 should do i am looking into getting myself one.

Really? You've found the SRH750DJs hard to drive? I haven't had any issues driving them out of my 4th gen iPod Touch. The volume never goes past 25%, even. 

I think it's more the quality that you'll get from then. With an amp it's capable of sound a whole lot better, but with just an iPod it'll sound ok.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #65 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's more the quality that you'll get from then. With an amp it's capable of sound a whole lot better, but with just an iPod it'll sound ok.

ya thats what i meant if you get an amp/dac it will not distort as much or not at all.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #66 of 80
I thought the external portable amp was to give the extra power you'd need to drive headphones that require more power than the ipod or whatever can give?

I mean, when I've read on here about headphones being hard to drive, they sound too quiet when they aren't amped properly.

Maybe I'm not turning up my headphones enough to notice distortion?

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #67 of 80

Quote:
I thought the external portable amp was to give the extra power you'd need to drive headphones that require more power than the ipod or whatever can give?

I mean, when I've read on here about headphones being hard to drive, they sound too quiet when they aren't amped properly.

Maybe I'm not turning up my headphones enough to notice distortion?

amps are meant for you to be able to drive high impedence headphones. if they dont get enough power they tend to distort. so amps are there to make it have less distortion. my headphones still sound amazing but they sound better if i use an amp from what i can assume from reading around head - fi.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #68 of 80

Here you go

So if I use Lod , the iPod classic and iPod touch will have the same sound quality output?

What's the difference between Dac and Lod?

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #69 of 80
Ok, diodiel, here's audio 101:

You have an MP3 player, right? In your case it's an iPod.
Now what it does is, it has a hard drive, a memory, where the files are stored. Then it has a software that reaches those files and coverts the info (binary code) into a digital signal of sound. It's still binary, but now all those 1s and 0s came into some kind of order. That's the audio software we all use, like Winamp, foobar, windows media player... the iPod has an internal software for that too.

Then you have a unit, a hardware piece, inside the player that converts that digital signal into an analog signal (or electric, how you prefer to call it). It's hard to explain and I myself don't understand it very well, but it's like you take the info made up of binary code and associate an electric impulse to it. Anyway, that hardware piece is called the DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

Now you have an electric signal, but when it comes out of the DAC it's very weak. So you need another piece, which really is what uses most of your iPod's battery life, that is the amplifier. This piece takes that electric signal and increases the amplitude. Just imagine a sound wave stretching up.

And then that amplified electric signal gets inside the headphones and makes a diaphragm vibrate, thus creating sound.

So just to catch up: Binary sound files --> Music-playing software --> Digital signal --> DAC --> Electric (or analog) signal --> Amplifier --> Amplified electric signal --> Headphones --> Your head

Now, you have different ways of upgrading this. The E7 and E5 aren't better versions of the same thing. They are different.
One thing to have in mind: I don't think you can use an external DAC on an iPod or any other MP3 player. Think about, what would be the point of the iPod in that case? Just store and play the music? Basically the DAC is something you plug into a laptop and it works as a soundboard. That way all the laptop does is store the music in its memory, and play it on a music software (foobar, Winamp...), while the conversion/amplification is made by the DAC.

The E5 is an external amp, that means the signal it amplifies is already converted into an electric one. An amplifier can't improve the sound signal. The electric sound signal is only as good as the DAC, because, that's where it is created. The amplifier can however improve sound quality because it makes that electric sound signal "bigger", and you can use all of it on your headphones, with no distortion. The signal might have already been great and the headphones just couldn't play it very well, understand?

The E7 is a DAC/AMP. It takes the software playing the music, turns the digital signal into an electric one and amplifies it, usually much much better than the onboard sound card could do.

A LOD (Line-out dock) is basically a cable, or dock (like those speakers you plug into the line-out of the iPod). When you plug an audio device into the Line-out of a portable player, it acts as an amplifier. All the iPod does is read the files and convert the signal. This is called bypassing the internal amp.

So if you use a LOD and both the iPod Classic and Touch have the same audio-player software and the same internal DAC, yes, the sound should pretty much be the same. Plus it should improve a bit.

Now I need some coffee.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #70 of 80
Hey thanks for all these info lmao its clear now! Enjoy that coffee! So Wat ur saying is that I would only get the 100% functionality of the e7 from a Pc cuz the Pc has no amp and Dac?
And if I use the e7 on my iPod, It only function as an amp? My conclusion, e7 and e5 will be equal when used in an iPod besides the more energy and buttons of e7 for tweaking?
Well just showing how I understood Wat u said. Thanks bro

Ok, diodiel, here's audio 101:

You have an MP3 player, right? In your case it's an iPod.

Now what it does is, it has a hard drive, a memory, where the files are stored. Then it has a software that reaches those files and coverts the info (binary code) into a digital signal of sound. It's still binary, but now all those 1s and 0s came into some kind of order. That's the audio software we all use, like Winamp, foobar, windows media player... the iPod has an internal software for that too.

Then you have a unit, a hardware piece, inside the player that converts that digital signal into an analog signal (or electric, how you prefer to call it). It's hard to explain and I myself don't understand it very well, but it's like you take the info made up of binary code and associate an electric impulse to it. Anyway, that hardware piece is called the DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

Now you have an electric signal, but when it comes out of the DAC it's very weak. So you need another piece, which really is what uses most of your iPod's battery life, that is the amplifier. This piece takes that electric signal and increases the amplitude. Just imagine a sound wave stretching up.

And then that amplified electric signal gets inside the headphones and makes a diaphragm vibrate, thus creating sound.

So just to catch up: Binary sound files --> Music-playing software --> Digital signal --> DAC --> Electric (or analog) signal --> Amplifier --> Amplified electric signal --> Headphones --> Your head

Now, you have different ways of upgrading this. The E7 and E5 aren't better versions of the same thing. They are different.

One thing to have in mind: I don't think you can use an external DAC on an iPod or any other MP3 player. Think about, what would be the point of the iPod in that case? Just store and play the music? Basically the DAC is something you plug into a laptop and it works as a soundboard. That way all the laptop does is store the music in its memory, and play it on a music software (foobar, Winamp...), while the conversion/amplification is made by the DAC.

The E5 is an external amp, that means the signal it amplifies is already converted into an electric one. An amplifier can't improve the sound signal. The electric sound signal is only as good as the DAC, because, that's where it is created. The amplifier can however improve sound quality because it makes that electric sound signal "bigger", and you can use all of it on your headphones, with no distortion. The signal might have already been great and the headphones just couldn't play it very well, understand?

The E7 is a DAC/AMP. It takes the software playing the music, turns the digital signal into an electric one and amplifies it, usually much much better than the onboard sound card could do.

A LOD (Line-out dock) is basically a cable, or dock (like those speakers you plug into the line-out of the iPod). When you plug an audio device into the Line-out of a portable player, it acts as an amplifier. All the iPod does is read the files and convert the signal. This is called bypassing the internal amp.

So if you use a LOD and both the iPod Classic and Touch have the same audio-player software and the same internal DAC, yes, the sound should pretty much be the same. Plus it should improve a bit.

Now I need some coffee.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #71 of 80

Quote:
Hey thanks for all these info lmao its clear now! Enjoy that coffee! So Wat ur saying is that I would only get the 100% functionality of the e7 from a Pc cuz the Pc has no amp and Dac?And if I use the e7 on my iPod, It only function as an amp? My conclusion, e7 and e5 will be equal when used in an iPod besides the more energy and buttons of e7 for tweaking?Well just showing how I understood Wat u said. Thanks bro

Coffee was awesome ^^
Now... your computer already has everything. It has the memory, the software to play music, a DAC and an AMP (these 2 are included in what is called a soundboard). So does your iPod, by the way. The E7 is just much better than most soundboards of the already-comes-with-the-motherboard kind. Check the specifications and search for your soundboard on Head-Fi or other audio forums because you might have been blessed with a good one, but if it is integrated on the motherboard, it probably isn't that good. If it is Realtek HD, you can do much better =P

I'm not even sure you can plug an E/, or any other DAC/AMP into a portable player like the iPod, but if you do, it probably only works as an amplifier, yes.

And using the E7 just as an amp isn't the same as using the E5 lol, since the E7 is considerably better at amplifying than the E5. Not a day-to-night difference, but it's there. The E5 was made to use with portable players to just boost the sound (mostly the bass) a bit and drive higher impedance headphones better. The E7 is more of a sound system by itself. If you will only use it with your iPod, I would suggest the E5. The iPod's internal DAC isn't that bad, and from what I've read the Line-out is pretty good (meaning if you plug an amp into the line-out, the signal being amplified is pretty good).
However if you plan to use it on a laptop or computer, by all means get the E7, the difference is huge from what I've read. Remember, you could have a 1,000$ amplifier, with tubes and all kinds of crazy expensive stuff. If your source, or more specifically your DAC isn't good, you will just be amplifying bad sound.

In audio there is a rule: your sound is only as good as your weakest link. So if you have a fantastic desktop rig, with a Mac computer, using FLAC on foobar, through those expensive amps and all that, and arelistening to it all through some Skullcandys, forget it =)

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #73 of 80

Quote:
pc has good audio qualiy.. you guys are over hyping mac computers. which is over prced.

i agree. but still if its integrated audio its most likely going to suck. does anyone know how good the conexant hd audio onboard audio card is. it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #74 of 80

Quote:
pc has good audio qualiy.. you guys are over hyping mac computers. which is over prced.

I don't own a Mac and I agree they are overpriced, but that was 1 comment, not a million of them. And Macs do have great sound quality.
As for PCs, you can't just say they have good audio quality, there are hundreds of combinations and possibilities. I can promise you a PC with a Realtek HD onboard sound card will suck compared to some of the PC-based rigs I've seen here on Head-fi.

Quote:
Quote:

i agree. but still if its integrated audio its most likely going to suck. does anyone know how good the conexant hd audio onboard audio card is. it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me.

Well most uninformed people (as myself) will tell you that onboard = crap. That's usually true, but maybe not (I've heard an onboard soundcard that sounded really good). How about just listening to some music on good audio files (FLAC) on your iPod or something like that, with good headphones, and then compare it to the same files being played on the best player software (I suggest foobar) through the same headphones. If the sound does not difer much through an iPod compared to the PC's soundcard, then it's a very acceptable onboard card =P

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #75 of 80

Quote:

Quote:

I don't own a Mac and I agree they are overpriced, but that was 1 comment, not a million of them. And Macs do have great sound quality.
As for PCs, you can't just say they have good audio quality, there are hundreds of combinations and possibilities. I can promise you a PC with a Realtek HD onboard sound card will suck compared to some of the PC-based rigs I've seen here on Head-fi.

Quote:
Quote:

Well most uninformed people (as myself) will tell you that onboard = crap. That's usually true, but maybe not (I've heard an onboard soundcard that sounded really good). How about just listening to some music on good audio files (FLAC) on your iPod or something like that, with good headphones, and then compare it to the same files being played on the best player software (I suggest foobar) through the same headphones. If the sound does not difer much through an iPod compared to the PC's soundcard, then it's a very acceptable onboard card =P

ok thanks. how good is winamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back