What to get for Xmas (Senn HD800 vs. Grado PS1000, or something else)?
Nov 14, 2010 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jimmyz

100+ Head-Fier
So, I need to choose what to get for Xmas soon as my dad is leaving for Saudi Arabia on Wed and doesn't come back until Xmas, so he needs to buy what I want now.

This is what I own now:

Sennheiser IE8i
B&W P5
JH-16 Pro with JH-3A (coming before Xmas hopefully)
iPhone (my current portable music source)
MacBook Pro and the New MacBook Air (my current stationary music source)

As I have a good universal IEM and one of the best custom IEMs, I am thinking of getting some over-the-ear headphones. I narrowed down my choices to the Sennheiser HD800 and Grado PS1000, but I just don't know what to get! The music I listen to is usually hip-hop, so a powerful low end is important to me, and I want my headphone to play nice with my iPhone (I know I will need an adaptor for both). I also listen to other musical categories, such as alternative/rock, like Maroon 5 or My Chemical Romance. So any advice would be great (my limit on these headphones are 1500, as I want a nice watch as well for Xmas plus some clothing, so anything over that, I will have to bank myself, so it would be nice to save some money and go for the Sennheisers, but if you think the Grados are better for me, then I will spend some money to get them). BUT, as you can see, my portable source is pretty crappy, so should I instead ask for a better source first, like buying a HiFiMAN HM-801, and maybe a few extras like a new GanQi card and maybe a new cable for the JH-16 Pros, and wait to buy the over-the-ear headphones later? And lastly, should I get a lesser watch than what I want and instead have him spend the money on a Sony Qualia 010? Is the Qualia noticeably "better" than the Sennheisers or Grados? Also, how much do 010s usually go for, and where is the best place to look for them, in case I decide to go in that direction?

Thanks guys!

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 22
Would a HiFiMAN HM-801 be considered a good source/amp, or are you talking more along the lines of this guy:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/raptor

?

Also, what do you mean by "why just not get the $1500 set up instead?" Do you mean I should instead spend less money on some over-the-ear headphones and more money on a stationary amp?

Also, any good DACs that I can use with my MacBooks that you can recomend would be great (ones that would go well with the HD800s or PS1000s)!

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 22
Your iPhone could never truly bring out the sound of the 800s or ps1000s. That being said you could get a much better source and amp that would make your current collection sound better. you could get a Hifiman 801 plus the Headroom Portable Micro Amp (with the built in DAC for $400). this would make your collection sound better while allowing you to upgrade without fear of not having adequate equipment. Then you would be set for an 800 or ps1000 
L3000.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Would a HiFiMAN HM-801 be considered a good source/amp, or are you talking more along the lines of this guy:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/raptor

?

Also, what do you mean by "why just not get the $1500 set up instead?" Do you mean I should instead spend less money on some over-the-ear headphones and more money on a stationary amp?

Also, any good DACs that I can use with my MacBooks that you can recomend would be great (ones that would go well with the HD800s or PS1000s)!

HM801 is a pretty good source + amp combo, but the HD800 will require more than it to really shine, never heard PS1000, so I can't comment about them.

yes what I mean is make a set up (dac + amp + cans) with $1500.

there're so many DACs out there, and it also depend on your preference too to pick the right one.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks. Can anyone compare the two on their low end? Also, would just a HiFiMAN be good enough with an HD800 or would I need an amp as well?

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 22
I think you really need to do your homework on these headphones.

First, the HD-800 needs a serious amp. Not a toy, but something that weighs at least 20 lbs., sits on a desktop and generates a lot of heat. But before you get to that point, why would you want the HD-800 for rap or hiphop? Have you read any reviews of the HD-800? These kick butt when you're listening to classical on SACD, old jazz LPs, and all manner of things acoustic and natural. Further, I think that you and I would have entirely different definitions of "good" bass. You probably want impact and thump, right? You won't get that from a HD-800. Though I think the HD-800's bass is near perfect (as I similarly worship my Quad ESL-63s), I am reasonably sure you'd hate it. The bass is tuneful, fast, accurate, and textured. It doesn't "punch" the way a car subwoofer does. I like that. But I don't think you would.

I do think you'd sell the HD-800 after a few months. You'd probably end up going after a Denon or JVC model.

Likewise, I'm not sure you'd enjoy the PS-1000. I've listened to them a bit, but don't think they're anything special. I can't think of any reason to buy one for myself. Maybe you'd like them or maybe not, but $1,700 is a bit ridiculous when cheaper headphones are much better.

You should read up on the necessity of an amplifier. You will need one with full-sized headphones. Also, tailor the headphones you want to your musical tastes. My guess is that you'd settle on a Denon or a Beyerdynamic DT770. Or maybe a Sennheiser HD-650, even. But I do not think a HD-800 would suit you and you do not have the equipment to run it, anyway. Don't get $3,000-$4,000 into a setup you won't enjoy.

I don't know if bragging rights or needing to own the "best" enter into the equation, but forget that stuff. Buy what you enjoy and will listen to. Personally, I'd rather have an old K-501 than some of the $1,000+ headphones out there. The difference is that I'd actually listen to and spend a lot of time enjoying a K-501. That's the kind of headphone you want.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Get a Denon AH-D5000, a HeadRoom Micro Amp, and save the rest of the budget to go towards the watch and clothes.  I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy that headphone-amp setup a lot.  Neither the HD800 nor the PS1000 is considered ideal (at least from what I've read) for the music you listen to.

The Sony Qualia 010 is discontinued so you're going to have to get one used.  And IIRC, they go for more than $1500.

You're lucky that you still get Christmas presents.  :)

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 22
Glad you get what you want.....

dt770? m50? T5p? pro900?  chekemout

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 22

AI think you really need to do your homework on these headphones.

First, the HD-800 needs a serious amp. Not a toy, but something that weighs at least 20 lbs., sits on a desktop and generates a lot of heat. But before you get to that point, why would you want the HD-800 for rap or hiphop? Have you read any reviews of the HD-800? These kick butt when you're listening to classical on SACD, old jazz LPs, and all manner of things acoustic and natural. Further, I think that you and I would have entirely different definitions of "good" bass. You probably want impact and thump, right? You won't get that from a HD-800. Though I think the HD-800's bass is near perfect (as I similarly worship my Quad ESL-63s), I am reasonably sure you'd hate it. The bass is tuneful, fast, accurate, and textured. It doesn't "punch" the way a car subwoofer does. I like that. But I don't think you would.

I do think you'd sell the HD-800 after a few months. You'd probably end up going after a Denon or JVC model.

Likewise, I'm not sure you'd enjoy the PS-1000. I've listened to them a bit, but don't think they're anything special. I can't think of any reason to buy one for myself. Maybe you'd like them or maybe not, but $1,700 is a bit ridiculous when cheaper headphones are much better.

You should read up on the necessity of an amplifier. You will need one with full-sized headphones. Also, tailor the headphones you want to your musical tastes. My guess is that you'd settle on a Denon or a Beyerdynamic DT770. Or maybe a Sennheiser HD-650, even. But I do not think a HD-800 would suit you and you do not have the equipment to run it, anyway. Don't get $3,000-$4,000 into a setup you won't enjoy.

I don't know if bragging rights or needing to own the "best" enter into the equation, but forget that stuff. Buy what you enjoy and will listen to. Personally, I'd rather have an old K-501 than some of the $1,000+ headphones out there. The difference is that I'd actually listen to and spend a lot of time enjoying a K-501. That's the kind of headphone you want.

Thanks! That is some great advice!

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 22
I think I decided to just get a HiFiMAN HM-801 and pass on the HD800 for now. Thanks guys!

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 22
nice!  solid choice
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back