What to get after LCD-2.1?
May 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #16 of 107
Quote:
Hi Chris...

looking thru your profile, have u tot of  the hd600/ K/Q701, Alexandro Mspro type of cans...to go with your expansive hans zimmer music..?

I think out of any headphone that I've had on my ears, the Alessandro MS-Pro left me the least impressed.  It wasn't a bad sounding headphone, but I think I set my expectations too high before receiving them that when they arrived at my home and I connected them up, all I could ask myself was: "Is this all?"  In fact, I'll go as far as making a bold statement that I think my modified Fostex are actually a more fun, and better sounding headphone.  Plus, with the low cost, one doesn't need to feel guilty how they treat the headphones.  If you have an $800 pair of Audeze LCD-2 headphones, you'll certainly be awfully careful about where you place them and how you treat them.

May 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 107
Gonna go ahead and throw out the Fostex T50RP modded as well. I have the Mad Dog mod from mrspeakers (Dan) and have to say
I markedly prefer them over the likes of the HD650 and LCD-2's.

May 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 107
ALexandro MsPro on a LYR sounds amazing...very lifelike and spatial. No sibliance...crystal clear. If thats what someone is looking for.
I heard the stock t50rp, hmmm...not sure how much more clarity that driver can be moded into..or the bass tightened..
justtt wonndering..:p

May 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 107
Quote:
ALexandro MsPro on a LYR sounds amazing...very lifelike and spatial. No sibliance...crystal clear. If thats what someone is looking for.
I heard the stock t50rp, hmmm...not sure how much more clarity that driver can be moded into..or the bass tightened..

hahaa man check out the Fostex thread LFF and mrspeakers take the T50RP to new heights. They've already been LCD-2 capable but now
have been refined. They "topple" the LCD in comparison, just IMO. Though I should mention they're quite a neutral can. Not for everyone.

May 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 107
Quote:
Gonna go ahead and throw out the Fostex T50RP modded as well. I have the Mad Dog mod from mrspeakers (Dan) and have to say
I markedly prefer them over the likes of the HD650 and LCD-2's.

I would trust and buy the T50RP and spend about 50+ Chris_Himself hours modding that headphone, but here's the thing. Half the time it's being pushed by people who don't have nicer gear, have heard nothing but that, and make really cute remarks about how it compares to the LCD-2 when they've never come within a mile of one. (Botbyte) 

I would snatch one up in a heartbeat if someone I trust just let me borrow theirs, I'd do them justice and write whatever review I need, but for now I'm just going to assume it's a can for people with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Til then, it'll forever be on the backburner.

Quote:

I wouldn't trust the MSP because it's a neutral version of the RS-1, the MS-2 is a beautiful headphone with sound to match, but from what I heard from the MSP, I just cannot grow fond of it when I know the RS-1 excites me more with it's more "raw" sound. The MS-P is sort of a finely tuned one, the RS-1 sounds to me like the unplugged version.

Again, don't want to sound like a ******, but I cannot really buy into a headphone where 3/4 of the audience are novices to the hobby who haven't experienced much else. The T50RP is good for trafiic to this site though, I tell you what.

Wayne,

about the LCD-2 thing and how to treat them. Dude I have a dent in my left can from the previous owner. All thoughts about caring for these guys went out the window.

Also loan me your HE-400's, if you do that, I'll loan you some cables :)

May 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 107
Quote:

I would trust and buy the T50RP and spend about 50+ Chris_Himself hours modding that headphone, but here's the thing. Half the time it's being pushed by people who don't have nicer gear, have heard nothing but that, and make really cute remarks about how it compares to the LCD-2 when they've never come within a mile of one. (Botbyte) 

I would snatch one up in a heartbeat if someone I trust just let me borrow theirs, I'd do them justice and write whatever review I need, but for now I'm just going to assume it's a can for people with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Til then, it'll forever be on the backburner.

Whatever 50+ Chris_Himself hours are. haha 
wink_face.gif

What exactly qualifies as "nicer gear?" 
As far as cute remarks regarding the LCD-2 comparatively, I'll only say it's been shown to measure "better" than the LCD-2. Whatever that's worth.
And to my ears, it's a "better" can than any LCD I've heard. Now this is subjective YMMV. 
tongue.gif

Anyways, it was just another +1 to a recommendation that was made earlier. 

May 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 107
Quote:

Chris I'm a mid fi guy, most of the music I listen to is guitar driven blues and rock. Started out with an SR60 a couple of years ago, spent too much time on head fi and ended up with an HF2. Other than another members MS Pro's as well as that same members V4 Magnums, and a short stint with a pair of D2000's my frame of reference isnt all that vast. I woodied my SR60's and a pair of 225's too. How my T50's compare to a pair of LCD2's I have no idea. They sound pretty damn good though. I've missed the last 700 posts or so in the T50 thread, looks like I may have to go catch up based on a couple of the comments here, like I have no idea what Mr. Speakers Mad Dog mod is; but I do know for $74 and 50 plus Chris_Himself hours you will end up with a pretty enjoyable headphone

May 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #24 of 107
Quote:

It can get frighteningly both tight and deep. It has been shown on graph too, like Paradoxper said.

I did take about 35 devouringone3 hours on mine, but achieved almost nothing.

It took me a KODA^2 (MK-II), full re-housing of the drivers in CNC machine cut hard acrylic, Thunderpants inspired, to understand better why others were being so serious about this headphone.

May 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #25 of 107
Quote:

Chris I'm a mid fi guy, most of the music I listen to is guitar driven blues and rock. Started out with an SR60 a couple of years ago, spent too much time on head fi and ended up with an HF2. Other than another members MS Pro's as well as that same members V4 Magnums, and a short stint with a pair of D2000's my frame of reference isnt all that vast. I woodied my SR60's and a pair of 225's too. How my T50's compare to a pair of LCD2's I have no idea. They sound pretty damn good though. I've missed the last 700 posts or so in the T50 thread, looks like I may have to go catch up based on a couple of the comments here, like I have no idea what Mr. Speakers Mad Dog mod is; but I do know for $74 and 50 plus Chris_Himself hours you will end up with a pretty enjoyable headphone

Brian, I'd say your statement is about 100% right on.  While I may not have tried a $1,000 pair of headphones, I've had my share of Grados modified with wooden cups, then wooden cups with the Magnum drivers, a pair of HF-2s, and now the HifiMAN headphones.  Maybe my tastes in headphone product are good, maybe not.  I'm not sure how it would qualify me in regards to an opinion on the T50RP by Fostex.  However, they would probably be the last pair of headphones that I would sell off at this point - and, I don't have plans to sell any of them.  Also, while the demographics of the typical Fostex modder might be a person with a beer budget and champagne tastes - but, I do also see plenty of posts from members in that thread who do own higher end headphones, and are quite amazed with their pair of Fostex after the modification process.  Plus, as I mentioned before, the Fostex are a pair of headphones that you can own without guilt.  You can toss them around and they'll take the wear and tear.  Unlike a pair of $800 headphones that you have to take extremely well care of in the event you decide to put them up for sale.

May 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 107
Quote:

Brian, I'd say your statement is about 100% right on.  While I may not have tried a $1,000 pair of headphones, I've had my share of Grados modified with wooden cups, then wooden cups with the Magnum drivers, a pair of HF-2s, and now the HifiMAN headphones.  Maybe my tastes in headphone product are good, maybe not.  I'm not sure how it would qualify me in regards to an opinion on the T50RP by Fostex.  However, they would probably be the last pair of headphones that I would sell off at this point - and, I don't have plans to sell any of them.  Also, while the demographics of the typical Fostex modder might be a person with a beer budget and champagne tastes - but, I do also see plenty of posts from members in that thread who do own higher end headphones, and are quite amazed with their pair of Fostex after the modification process.  Plus, as I mentioned before, the Fostex are a pair of headphones that you can own without guilt.  You can toss them around and they'll take the wear and tear.  Unlike a pair of $800 headphones that you have to take extremely well care of in the event you decide to put them up for sale.

Perfectly stated! I've had my LCD-2's RMA'd multiple times, maybe I got the short end of the stick with my luck (doubt it) but it's unfortunate when you spend
that amount of money and have to "carefully" handle your cans in a paranoid manner. 

Also, I think what these mods can and do achieve should make some of these headphone manufacturers/boutiques feel shame/guilt.
There's just no way they should be allowed to continue with price gouging. But I suppose the hobby is a niche and somehow that warrants/justifies the inflation.
I'll also admit, yep, I do contribute. So don't take this as the DIY-er rant or anything. I just think after a while we should stop looking at gear or headphones 
and focus more on buying music. 
biggrin.gif

On another note: The HE-400 is a pretty fun headphone. Wouldn't recommend it as your one and only or main can. But it's definitely nice for a change.

May 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 107
It's a shame I no longer have my modded T50RP however when modded they are quite capable. I had mine modded to the Rastapants 2 based on mrspeakers configuration and imo it was quite close to the HE500 in technical ability. I know there are posts somewhere that the T50RP can be better than that but at that point I no longer cared about technical ability and well I wasn't using the T50RP. I never compared them to the LCD2 since well I never owned the LCD2 but meet conditions did tell me they sounded similar in signature. I don't know if I qualify for those having heard good gear but I do own pretty decent stuff.

However I'm not sure where you want to go. If modding the T50RP sounds like some fun then it's a pretty cheap project of probably around 120 or so with some basic mods. However something like the markl D7k is a pretty good headphone where it does very little wrong and also the best looking headphone I've ever owned. 

Are you happy with your dac and/or amp since that could be another option.

May 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #29 of 107
Talking about Markl modded D7000, the Fostex TH900 although not seen as an amazing and doing a splash in our community like the HD800 have done, is a "perfectly" good headphone. It's superior to the D7000 specs-wise.

I will return read about it in the thread, but I don't think MuppetFace could pinpoint any flaw to this headphone what so ever.

Actually that was her main argumentary, that it does every thing very good, some things extremely well, but nothing was bad on it, so to speak (except maybe the headphone stand it comes shipped with).

May 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #30 of 107
I may have to get some T50RP's now, I want to mess with more stuff  >_>

Chris, this may be hard to hear, but I would take a small break from ALL headphones, or switch to a budget pair. I had this problem (well similar, not your price range :p) and I felt like everything had a flaw of some sort, like there was always "something" missing (hence why I sold off my Crack, 600's, and have in all respects basically downgraded).

It kind of hit me that it's the music. You can upgrade everything to extremes, but it becomes a game almost. Your brain (at least mine) subconciously finds flaws and things you don't like about every pair you try, just so the game continues. 

I actually got a pair of VModa M-80's right now, my other pairs are sold or borrowed by friends. And you know what? My music still sounds great. Sure, it may not have the technical badassery of other headphones I may have tried, it may not be a soundstage giant or have 242534524524 catchphrases attached to it's sound. 

And that's okay, it's merely a medium to the music. Music is supposed to inspire feelings, emotions, and thoughts. With our hobby, we can get caught up worrying about technicalities, and it's not that simple, and I doubt it will ever be that simple unless you get off by reading graphs :p

So find your sweet spot, and enjoy the bliss that goes through to your soul, whatever that be. Can it come from Portapro's just as easily as SR-009's with Sacred Whalebone beaded headband, lamb's blood cable, and premium snake oil finish? 

screw yes it can, as long as it makes you move :)

TL;DR: Find something that sounds cool, screw the technicalities, turn that s*** up and headbang :D

In other words, this (excuse language for whoever has sensitive eyes)
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4089322_460s_v1.jpg

P.S.- Not saying I will be able to live with ONLY the M-80's forever. There are still limitations to everything I suppose XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back