what so special about Ultrasone headphones?
May 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

TheAwesomesauceShow

100+ Head-Fier
The reason is, I went to Amazon and found that they have relatively high prices compared to my Denon entry level headphone(D2000 @ $220 on the same site)  What is S-logic? Does it make the SQ better?

May 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 57

Quote:
The reason is, I went to Amazon and found that they have relatively high prices compared to my Denon entry level headphone(D2000 @ $220 on the same site)  What is S-logic? Does it make the SQ better?

In my opinion...to answer your thread title based on my experience...NOTHING.

I just don't get the Ultrasones. The only one that I do like is the Ed.8, but I did prefer the Denon D7000 to them for much less $$$.

May 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 57
Depends. S-logic supposedly  tricks the brain into thinking that the sound you hear is 3D. There is an explanation on the Ultrasone website. FWIR/experienced It generally either works for you or doesn't. There is also something about Mu metal shielding which apparently blocks radiation but I haven't heard any evidence that the radiation from headphones is substantial enough to cause damage. The Ultrasones are also relatively newer so I'm guessing the price hasn't really had a chance to drop like the Denon has. The current model (HFI 780) was introduced in late 2007 while the D2000 was released in mid/early 2005. I honestly prefer the Pro 750 to the Denon D2000 but like both more than the HFI 780. It's really a matter of personal preference. They also tend to be a polarizing can, most people either love them or hate them. I listen mainly to trance so mids generally aren't that important to me. For me both brands excel with trance and bass heavy music. In the end though it boils down to personal preference. 

May 10, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 57
I thought the S-logic is an additional bass driver
confused_face(1).gif
  I guess it's just marketing speak(which I hate).  Anyone else have/tried them and just blew the other headphones you own?

May 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Imo it's actually going to reduce raw analytical detail, in exchange for an "interesting" interpretation of soundstage. The Ultrasones I have all do soundstage differently, but they all have, in different degrees, a soundstage similar to surround sound speakers.

Quote:
I thought the S-logic is an additional bass driver
confused_face(1).gif
  I guess it's just marketing speak(which I hate).  Anyone else have/tried them and just blew the other headphones you own?

S-logic is an off-set driver, and, for some models, holes across the top of the bufferboard.

If you ask what's s-logic plus, well I dunno :) supposedly it is a combination of internal mods but the only thing I see is bigger earcups and random glue splotches on the earcups and two black plastic stickers on the bufferboard. I've sent a few emails to ultrasone about the glue and if it is a part of s-logic plus and no response.

May 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 57
S-Logic is nothing special. As far as I can tell it's simply angled drivers plus ports at the bottom. It doesn't do much for me and the 3D presentation in the marketing talk is BS as far as I'm concerned.

That said they do have nice soundstage... but nothing I haven't heard before in cans like the AD700 (which also have angled drivers) or, hey, the Bose Triport OE (which also has angled drivers).

May 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 57
I owned the 550s now I own the 750s.  I loved the 550 and love the 750 even more but I agree with every1 that the S-Logic is just stupid maketing buzz words.  The pro 750 has the best and hardest hitting bass while still perfectly controlled.  Perfect for pop/electronica/rap/hip hop genres.  Im sure it does rock and classical ok too but Ive got other headphones for that stuff.

May 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 57
I just got a pair of Ultrasone 900s about a week ago and have diligently been burning them in. They are amazing after even about 120 hours so I can't wait for a couple hundred hours! S-Logic is unique but not really a pro or con IMO it's just preference so it'd be best to give them a try yourself.

May 11, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 57
yes displaced not angled.It can redirect the audio behind the buffer board which creates some of the surround effect. Cover the middle hole and you will notice some of the magic gets lost though the treble sound better.

May 11, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 57
I don't know what's special about Ultrasone. I've listened to several pairs at meets and still haven't been compelled to buy a pair. Which is odd, because I've been through a couple dozen models by now. But nothing has ever struck me as special from Ultrasone. YMMV, of course.

May 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 57
The S-logic is marketing garbage. Ultrasones are the ultimate rock/metal closed backs. They have stronger mids and are MUCH faster than the Denons, abeit still not on the level of an open back. In a way they are the closest you can get to closed back Grados. But yes they are not as all rounded as the Denons, but I would say that the HFI-780 is easily on the same level as the D2000, it's just an issue of preference and what you are looking for.

May 11, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 57
I think that ultrasones really do well with certain types of music. I really like them for hip hop or like dance music. They have very impactful(is that a word?) bass which is similar to speakers. I think that the s logic is more marketing than anything substantial. But they do have an interesting sound stage. I really think that if you are looking for more "fun" cans then it is worth looking into some ultrasones. To my ears they are like grados with bass.

May 11, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 57
I have been using my Pro900 for few months and love every minute. I didn't care for the S-Logic malarkey when I bought them but I am forced to admit it works extremely well for me. With all the other closed cans I tried it feels like the sound is produced within a certain space surrounding your head. I can sense the size and boundaries of it depending on the ability of each  phones. With the Pro900 there is no clear edge and it sounds more natural, closer to speaker listening. Many people will prefer to feel the delimitation of the head-space as it usually lead to better instrument positioning. On the Pro900 the positioning is more blurry because of the S-Logic but I find it more natural. My limited experience with headphones tells me the Pro900 is ultimately a remarkable can which bring together some of the strong aspects of other brands: Energetic and great treble similar to Grados, bass as good or slightly better than D2000, and very detailed and precise as K701, and a fantastic head-stage for a close can. And it is build like a tank. But as said in other threads they require time to experiment with positioning and to adjust to the presentation to benefit from the S-logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back