What movie did you just see?
Aug 28, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #632 of 648
I just watched The Pianist for the first time (although it's a couple of years old). Actually, I bought the DVD some time ago but the first copy I had was defective and about half way through it, the screen froze! No matter which DVD player I used, it was just a bad disc!@#! Living outside of the States, I had to wait until I get back up to Florida to exchange the disc, and then to make matters worse, I foget about it for 2 or 3 trips in a row... fast forward until tonight, and thankfully I had the good sense (some 6 months later) to watch it from beginning to end.

For those of you who have not seen this movie, it was nominated for 7 and won 3 acadamy awards (best actor, director and screenplay) in 2003. What can I say that hasn't been said by so many others? Very sad, and yet ever so touching all at the same time. Not only did it give you a horrifying insight to the plight of Jewish families in Nazi infiltrated Poland, but it spoke more broadly to the stuggle of all men through the eyes one man with a will to live and a love for music. It's right up there with Schindler's List and A Beautiful Life, and as tortured as such movies are, I'd welcome another similar effort at some point in the future if it is done from such a wonderful, humanitarian persective as this one.

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #633 of 648
This thread is old but.....War of the Worlds! See it on the big screen while you can!! It is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #635 of 648
watched most of batman begins . . . not bad. Although I thought bruce and the scarecrow needed to mellow out.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #636 of 648
I kinda forgot about this thread. I haven't had much time to watch movies since school started.
frown.gif

Oldboy - Korean movie, I don't know any of the actors' names, but I thought the main actor was great in his role and I know I've seen him in other movies before. He has such a great suffering look, there are scenes where he doesn't really do anything but stare or smile but you can still feel his character's pain.

This is the ultimate revenge story, Asian style of course.
icon10.gif
Which means you don't just go and kill the guy, but you let him live with a suffering greater then death. There's a great twisted and disturbing ending... and that's all I'll say for now so I won't spoil it for anyone else.
icon10.gif
Also the hallway fight scene was wonderfully done, must have taken a long time to get it right.

"When you laugh, the world laughs with you. When you cry, you cry alone."

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #638 of 648
Woah! Not the thread that ate up more of my time last year than any other.... NOOOOOOOOO! It's back and I can't resist:

Chronicles of Riddick - I hate to admit liking this movie... but I simply do! This movie has largely been critically ripped apart, IMHO, because it is neither the complex, subtle space opera that some wanted it to be nor is it a bog simple action movie that others wanted it to be. (In other words, most critics either demanded too much from it or were too slow to follow it.) Instead it walks a tight rope between appealing to a general audience and a hardcore sci-fi audience. This is what I like about it... it is a simple action movie that doesn't make you feel like a total moron for enjoying it.

That said, whether you enjoy this movie or not will largely depend on whether you dig its asthetic. If the concept of a film that contrasts incredibly quick-cuts with a Roman-esque, baroque look interests you... then you will likely enjoy it... if not then it will probably feel a bit too heavy handed. (And it is, I just happen to find that amusing).
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Better Recommendation: Equilibruim - Strikes a better balance between plot and action. Plus it is better directed and acted, more intelligent and generally more fun. If the Matrix had not come up in roughly the same time period, this movie would have been a classic that everyone would have seen.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

I also saw Titus. It is an interesting rework of Shakespeare that is visually lush and almost flawlessly acted. Unfortunately, it simply drug on too much for my taste. After a while the unrelenting, often absurdly sexualized, visual assault became tiresome. By the time that the movie ended I was happy that it was over. But before I finish this review, let me say again that the acting is superb and for the first hour or so it had me more enthralled than any movie I've seen in the last few months.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #639 of 648
Just got to see The Greatest Game Ever Played, a golf drama based on the true story of the 1913 US Open, where 20-year-old Francis Ouimet defeated reigning champion Harry Vardon. I enjoyed the movie and thought it had a good story line to it. The movie kept me interested and the acting was also good.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #640 of 648
Casshern - Japanese movie. I saw this a while ago, but its still worth mentioning. Visual this movie was great. Not just a lot of pretty colors and things blowing up, but also some nice softer and slower moments.
icon10.gif

Casshern has a great story and this is one of the reasons I disliked this movie. The story is simply too much for one movie. It tries to touch on subjects of life, death, ghost, war, psychology, philosophy, war, economy, science, God, evolution, etc, etc, etc... It was just too much. If this movie was broken up into two or three parts and slowed down to give each subject adequate time I would have loved it.

Another problem I had was with the characters. There was simply not enough time for character development. The characters were pretty much introduced the way they were, except for the main character none of them really showed much change. I wanted to know who these people were and what made them tick.
confused.gif

I heard that Casshern was based on an anime but I never saw it, maybe it would help to see it flesh out all the characters and story.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #642 of 648
Went out and saw Serenity today. It was pretty good, though not exactly what I had expected. Something was lost in translation from TV to film, though I guess that's gotta happen when you've only got 2 hours to tell a story as opposed to an hour a week for 26 weeks.

I was a fan of Firefly going into the movie, so I'm not sure how exactly the movie would come across to someone not familiar with the characters and general setting.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #643 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Wallace and Grommit! It had a giant rabbit! 'nuff said.

Yeah - no spoilers here!

Fun show, one I'd been waiting for for years... Worth the wait.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #645 of 648
I saw Serenity, the movie offshoot of Firefly the tv series last weekend. Absolutely loved it, really good movie. I was a big fan of the tv series, and thought the movie was pretty well done. I liked how they took what I thought was one of the weaker parts of the series and made it into a key revelation in the movie. Can't say I was happy about what happened to one person in particular (or at least how it happened), though one of my friends was way more upset than I was about it, actually pretty comical to see his reaction. Other than that, great movie, I'll definitely pick it up on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back