What Made You Change & Why?
Dec 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TIMITS

100+ Head-Fier
Background Information: I just happen to reside where access to headphones (IEMs or full size cans) is limited / impossible. Having just investing in a set of speakers which had excellent reviews and finding them not at all to my taste I'd like to try and minimize the risk of something similar happening.

Rather than ask what you think about a particular brand, price or type of technology I thought perhaps a more generic question would be helpful in finding something enjoyable to listen to.  So, my question is directed to those of you who have had both full size cans and IEMs and have chose to swap from one type to the other.  What factors influenced you in deciding?  Have any of you completely gone the IEM route or gone back to listening to full size cans?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I exclusively had Full Sized Cans for almost 2 years but I found myself switching to IEMs just a few months ago because of the portablility that they provide.
Well for me , the main reason I switched is because I wanted to listen to music on the go. Yes you can obviously do them with full sized cans but the sound leak ALOT and it'll be a hassle because of the long cables their big sizes plus some of them need huge amps to drive them.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 8
I personally started out with IEM first. While I haven't completely swapped away from IEM due to their awesome portability, I have recently built a nice desktop setup for the spacious-ness of full size cans. Now, I use IEMs exclusively when I am on the move. :p

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I exclusively had Full Sized Cans for almost 2 years but I found myself switching to IEMs just a few months ago because of the portablility that they provide.
Well for me , the main reason I switched is because I wanted to listen to music on the go. Yes you can obviously do them with full sized cans but the sound leak ALOT and it'll be a hassle because of the long cables their big sizes plus some of them need huge amps to drive them.

That's pretty much my reasoning as well. I also needed isolation and my Grado SR80i's just don't have that capability 
gs1000.gif
 (they're great cans, don't get me wrong). In addition, portable amps are kind of a PIA to haul around and most IEMs sound great without them. My ER6i's pretty much live in my pocket nowadays and go everywhere with me. Once I got used to having something shoved in my ear without experiencing pain, I haven't used full size cans since.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 8
I actually prefer all 3 aspects of audio. I started with an IEM(metro.fi 200) nearly 2 years ago. Back then I didn't care much about audio. It was until I got interested in audio and got some pretty decent home theater speakers. My friend bought an AD700 and when I listened to it, I was stunned at the quality. That led me to buy the AD300. Now I have a M-Audio AV40 paired with a subwoofer I made, Monster Turbine, UE TF10, and ATH-AD300. 

When I'm at home, I use my cans and when I'm tired of them, I move on to my speakers. I use IEMs mainly for portability.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 8
^I share a similar approach.
My modest desktop rig comprises an Audio Technica ad700 with a Nuforce udac, with my PC as source or straight off the CD player.
For portable use, its a Sansa Clip Plus with hifiman RE-2/Soundmagic PL30.

You cant replace the isolation of some iems . OTOH  (generally) iems cant give you the claustrophobia free soundstage of a large open can.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I use IEMs and earbuds while on the move (earbuds in traffic because iems isolate too much). I only use circumaural phones outside the house when it is really cold in winter, because my ears stay warm underneath.

At home, I use normal headphone 80 percent of the time an iems 20 percent. I use iems at home when I want more isolation than normal closed phones can provide.

At work, I use normal headphones because my coworkers overlook my iems and don't realize that I can't hear them.

If I would be limited to one can, or one type of headphone, it would be a tough decision. IEMs are much more versatile, but I tend to enjoy normal cans more. I'd probably chose normal cans.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 8
My main issues were fit, comfort and portability.  I've got a small head so most headphones just were too big and not comfortable for me.  Plus lugging around those things was a pain, cord constantly hanging on things and sound leaking, just not right for iPhone either.  Read about Shure, Ety's, Westones and decided to go for something that was highest rated for comfort and never looked back from my Westone UM1's. I never get tired of using them sound-wise or physically having them in my ears.  I rarely get out the Grado's or PortaPro's anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back