What koss models use the same "speakers" as the PortaPros?
Oct 20, 2005 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
What Koss models use the same speaker drivers, or whatever it's called, as the PortaPros? Also, will all these models have identical sound considering they are the same speaker driver?

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
What Koss models use the same speaker drivers, or whatever it's called, as the PortaPros? Also, will all these models have identical sound considering they are the same speaker driver?

SportaPros, KSC35, KSC55, KSC75, PortaPro2

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
SportaPros, KSC35, KSC55, KSC75, PortaPro2

So the sound from all of these will be identical? The only difference is the exterior design?

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 25
there are KSC-35, KSC-75, SportaPro, and maybe few others.

although they have the same drivers, they wont sound exactly the same since they have different forms so they fit differently to different ears.

edit: oops - 35, not 55.

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 25
I have a pair of PortaPros. I'm thinking about buying a pair of KSC75s for the gym because of the less bulky size, and it won't mess up my hair.

Would the sound of the 2 be equivilant?

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 25
The KSC-35 is discussed quite a bit, IME (although I think it's officially out of production). The Sportapro is not too popular around here for some reason, and the Portapro2 is definitely out of production. Any further questions?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 25
Some Koss headphone drivers have titanium coatings, such as
the KSC-75. Some DON'T have titanium coatings, such as the Portapro.

The drivers with titanium coatings tend to sound brighter (harsher to
some people). The non-coated drivers sound warmer.

You need to carefully read the fine print on the specifications on Koss's
website. The one's with titanium coatings say so.

Most people don't realize this because they don't carefully read the fine print
on Koss's website.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
KTX-1 Pro has the Titaniumzzz

KTX-Pro1 sounds crap to my ears (I own a pair)... can't even stand it for portable use anymore, IMHO it's not much better than stock headphones that come free with players. No extension up top, and bottom is plain muddy. So is this the standard "titanium" drivers that Koss are using in many of their lower-end cans these days?
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
KTX-Pro1 sounds crap to my ears (I own a pair)... can't even stand it for portable use anymore, IMHO it's not much better than stock headphones that come free with players. No extension up top, and bottom is plain muddy. So is this the standard "titanium" drivers that Koss are using in many of their lower-end cans these days?
confused.gif

The 75s have the titanium and don't sound good also?

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 25
There are other problems with the KTX Pro1 that could be contributing to its poor SQ... namely the terrible quality cable + volume control, and the design of the earcups. Haven't heard the KSC-75 myself.

P.S. the Portapro, Portapro2 and (pretty sure) KSC-35 definitely use the non-titanium drivers.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
Some Koss headphone drivers have titanium coatings, such as
the KSC-75. Some DON'T have titanium coatings, such as the Portapro.

The drivers with titanium coatings tend to sound brighter (harsher to
some people). The non-coated drivers sound warmer.

You need to carefully read the fine print on the specifications on Koss's
website. The one's with titanum coatings say so.

Most people don't realize this because they don't carefully read the fine print
on Koss's website.

That sir, is one heck of a first post! Thanks for that information. I use 35's for portable and presently at the office until my Ety's are resurrected. The 35's look like crap but sound amazing. They are also bus and subway (and heck sidewalk) safe, particularly in big metros. No one will anticipate a nice audio player with those ugly things hooked to it. I use an iPod Photo, not exactly cheap. Folks must think I'm using some cheap am radio. Heh if only they knew I was getting some of the best portable sound around
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 25
Carefull everyone... there are two different Koss 60 ohm drivers:

Clear transparent driver:
KSC35, Original portapro, PortaproII. I think the TD80, TD61 full size cans use this driver as well... But dont quote me on it.

Titanium coated driver:
KSC75/55/50, KTX-Pro1, UR40. I think the sportapro also use this one. I have a Sportapro coming in a day or 2 and will know for certain. There are a couple Radio shack cans that use the Ti driver too.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back