What koss models use the same "speakers" as the PortaPros?
Oct 20, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 25
Thanks AlphaOmega, that was actually a question I wanted to ask!

I worked in RadioShack last year while in college and did a lot of research with headphones at that time. It was then that I came across the Koss headphone product line, though I've known about their speakers for years.

Funny thing is, in the beginning (like when I was 13) Koss was an amazing company that made quality equipment. Then gradually over the years I saw advertisements from RadioShack and other resellers in Toronto, selling REALLY inexpensive Koss computer speakers, which when compared to other computer speakers available were like 1/2 or less of the price! I then developed a bad image of them since I started equating the low prices with inferior quality..

...but that's where it ends and my appreciation, and love, of Koss begins (esp. after having the PortaPros for almost a year).

The Koss brothers (and brethren!), John and Michael have a simple mission statement: "To have a Koss stereophone on every head." Simply, that is the reason that their headphones are so inexpensive. I tell ya I'll walk down any street proudly wearing my Portas, and feel good about owning a set of quality headphones that don't break the bank. It's amazing though, that they DID NOT sacrifice quality, customer care, and value in the process. That's why people can pick up a pair of KSC-75s for $20, and then compare them to their low end Grados (even mid-level ones?) and say the have 80% of THAT (!?!) sound!

AND, as an icing to the (inexpensive, yet filling in oh so many ways) cake, they throw in a lifetime warranty!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Thanks AlphaOmega, that was actually a question I wanted to ask!

I worked in RadioShack last year while in college and did a lot of research with headphones at that time. It was then that I came across the Koss headphone product line, though I've known about their speakers for years.

Funny thing is, in the beginning (like when I was 13) Koss was an amazing company that made quality equipment. Then gradually over the years I saw advertisements from RadioShack and other resellers in Toronto, selling REALLY inexpensive Koss computer speakers, which when compared to other computer speakers available were like 1/2 or less of the price! I then developed a bad image of them since I started equating the low prices with inferior quality..

...but that's where it ends and my appreciation, and love, of Koss begins (esp. after having the PortaPros for almost a year).

The Koss brothers (and brethren!), John and Michael have a simple mission statement: "To have a Koss stereophone on every head." Simply, that is the reason that their headphones are so inexpensive. I tell ya I'll walk down any street proudly wearing my Portas, and feel good about owning a set of quality headphones that don't break the bank. It's amazing though, that they DID NOT sacrifice quality, customer care, and value in the process. That's why people can pick up a pair of KSC-75s for $20, and then compare them to their low end Grados (even mid-level ones?) and say the have 80% of THAT (!?!) sound!

AND, as an icing to the (inexpensive, yet filling in oh so many ways) cake, they throw in a lifetime warranty!
eggosmile.gif

Curious... the Koss name was sold about 10 years ago... right? Doesnt Recoton or Sound Around??... or the likes own them now?

Garrett

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Titanium coated driver:
KSC75/55/50, KTX-Pro1, UR40. I think the PortaproII and sportapro also use tis one.

The Portapro2 definitely does not, at least if you can see the titanium coating. The drivers on mine are clear, like 'normal' headphone drivers. You asked me about this on another thread, remember?
tongue.gif

Could be wrong, but I think the Sportapro is too old, i.e. been around too long to use the titanium drivers.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The Portapro2 definitely does not, at least if you can see the titanium coating. The drivers on mine are clear, like 'normal' headphone drivers. You asked me about this on another thread, remember?
tongue.gif

Oh yeah... Post above edited!!!
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by noorudeenshakur
Dont know why the porta pros arent popular around here I think they sound great, especially for the price.

Probably because at full price (close to $50) they come too close to other cans that sound better. The KSC-35 is very popular around here, and they use the same drivers.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 25
Besides the titanium and non-titanum polymer drivers with neodymium magnets (in the ksc-75 and portapro), the ksc-35 used ferrite magnets with paper drivers acording to some people I read.

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
I have a pair of PortaPros. I'm thinking about buying a pair of KSC75s for the gym because of the less bulky size, and it won't mess up my hair.

Would the sound of the 2 be equivilant?

KSC75 has less bass because it doesnt push your ears as tightly
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious... the Koss name was sold about 10 years ago... right? Doesnt Recoton or Sound Around??... or the likes own them now?

Garrett

Sorry for the late reply... I'm moving!!!

Looked online for info; go to inc.com and read the articles that results from a "koss" search. Quite a bit of interesting reading
icon10.gif

Although it really doesn't say the current ownership hive of the corporation... it leads one to assume that the Koss Corporation is still a family business.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 25
I own a pair of TD/80 and the drivers are of the "shiny" type, that is, titanium coated, with a red ring surrounding the central dome. Not sure if the same as the Porta Pros, since I've never seen one of those (they're extremely rare here at Argentina). Here is a pic of the driver (not mine):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/202122/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread/240

They are damn good if you're in a gloomy mood. They sound really sweet, with a dark and aggressive if somewhat murky sound, and gobs of bass (mind you, Porta pros are semiopen, these are fully closed). If you feel curious about them, my full review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/koss-td-80-closed-ear-home-stereophone/reviews/8780

Koss TD85, currently on the Koss catalogue, seems to be a rehaul of the TD/80, and I do think shares the same driver. TD/80s were discontinued almost a decade ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back