what kind of sounding iems are perfect for me?
Mar 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NightRyder

Head-Fier
I'm not sure whether i like analytical sounding iems or (what ever else there is...).  I like a lot of hip hop/ rap that usually has middle to fast paced beats ( wiz, kanye, lupe, to name a few artists).

i also like u2 which is more of a softer version of rock, they have some bass but mostly focuses on vocals and guitars. 

iems im considering right now are:

Dba-02
re0
rezero
ck10
re262

price range <250$

Can anyone lead me to the right direction as to what kind of sounding iem i would prefer?  Thanks in advance!

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
I'm not sure whether i like analytical sounding iems or (what ever else there is...).  I like a lot of hip hop/ rap that usually has middle to fast paced beats ( wiz, kanye, lupe, to name a few artists).

i also like u2 which is more of a softer version of rock, they have some bass but mostly focuses on vocals and guitars. 

iems im considering right now are:

Dba-02
re0
rezero
ck10
re262

price range <250$

Can anyone lead me to the right direction as to what kind of sounding iem i would prefer?  Thanks in advance!

hm....everything you have listed seems a bit light for most of the music you listen to.

DBA-02 is treble focused (dual armature based, very quick and clean)
re0 is the same with about the same level of bass
rezero (have not heard, but it seems to be a bassier version of the re0 from reviews)
ck10, treble focused again
re262, (haven't heard this one either, but it seems to be a bassier version of the re252

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 20
The IEMs you've chosen are relatively flat earphones. I listen to the same kind of hip-hop music as you, and I must admit, that I was hesitated of the sound when I got Etymotic ER-6 (which are another flat sounding IEM).

I own TF-10's right now, and I am pretty satisfied with the overall sound, but it doesn't have enough punching bass for hip-hop music.

For your price range, I think you should consider the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, Monster Turbine, or Radius DDM. Sennheiser IE8 will be pretty good if you can get a deal on it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
The IEMs you've chosen are relatively flat earphones. I listen to the same kind of hip-hop music as you, and I must admit, that I was hesitated of the sound when I got Etymotic ER-6 (which are another flat sounding IEM).

I own TF-10's right now, and I am pretty satisfied with the overall sound, but it doesn't have enough punching bass for hip-hop music.

For your price range, I think you should consider the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, Monster Turbine, or Radius DDM. Sennheiser IE8 will be pretty good if you can get a deal on it.

turbine pro's go for $170, coppers $220, radius ddm's for about $140, and $250 for the IE8's from onecall.com

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 20
I wouldn't call those earphones flat, they are pretty treble-focused.

You could try the Monster turbine coppers, find that they give decent bass and highs are pretty clear for a dynamic phone. Definitely gives more punch than tf10 but tf10's highs sparkle. Radius DDM is pretty good as well and it's roughly about 140 usd.  

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
I wouldn't call those earphones flat, they are pretty treble-focused.

You could try the Monster turbine coppers, find that they give decent bass and highs are pretty clear for a dynamic phone. Definitely gives more punch than tf10 but tf10's highs sparkle. Radius DDM is pretty good as well and it's roughly about 140 usd.  

personally, I found the TF10's sparkle a bit tiresome, the slightly recessed./recessed mids didn't help either. but that's a discussion for another day
anywho, there are many reports of fitment issues with the DDM so I would read more into that.
and also, knightrider, in order to find those prices, you need to call both onecall.com and jr.com asking for the best price

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 20
New Radius DDM TWF21 is already available and according to the recent review by ijokerl the fit has been improved over the DDM #1

Check the multi IEM Review thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-158-iems-compared-westone-4-radius-twf21-added-03-27

Tip: Dimitri from Musica Acoustics is offering a promo - Special on this.  for about 250$

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 20
are onecall.com and jr.com legit sites?

Quote:
personally, I found the TF10's sparkle a bit tiresome, the slightly recessed./recessed mids didn't help either. but that's a discussion for another day
anywho, there are many reports of fitment issues with the DDM so I would read more into that.
and also, knightrider, in order to find those prices, you need to call both onecall.com and jr.com asking for the best price

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 20
I can vouch for the Monster Turbine Pro Gold working very well for hip-hop. You can indeed get them from 170 at either onecall or J&R. Call them and ask for the price, and if they don't give it to you just say you found it at the other for 170 and they should mark it down to at least that much (that's what worked for me at (J&R).

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 20

how are the microphonics on them?  I also live in canada so im not sure if the deal still applies.
Quote:
I can vouch for the Monster Turbine Pro Gold working very well for hip-hop. You can indeed get them from 170 at either onecall or J&R. Call them and ask for the price, and if they don't give it to you just say you found it at the other for 170 and they should mark it down to at least that much (that's what worked for me at (J&R).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back