What kind of cheese do you have on your Philly cheese steak?
Feb 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
Spareribs started an interesting and amusing thread about cheese, and someone brought up the miracle of science known as Cheez Whiz. This got me to wondering about which kind of cheese most people order on their Philly cheese steaks.

I am a hardcore Whiz guy. Provolone won't cut it. If it ain't got Whiz, it ain't a cheese steak.

Please don't participate if you haven't had a Philly-style steak. I would especially like to hear from our Philly head-fier's on this one.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spareribs started an interesting and amusing thread about cheese, and someone brought up the miracle of science known as Cheez Whiz. This got me to wondering about which kind of cheese most people order on their Philly cheese steaks.

Please don't participate if you haven't had a Philly-style steak. I would especially like to hear from our Philly head-fier's on this one.

Provolone!

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 85
I would prefer a homemade cheddar cheese sauce similar to Cheeze Wiz because the actual Cheeze Wiz has a subtle after taste that I don't prefer. But that being said, Cheeze wiz is perhaps one of the greatest cheeze sauces ever made. Try it on a greasy burger or on some crispy fries. YUMMY.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would prefer a homemade cheddar cheese sauce like Cheeze Wiz because Cheeze Wiz has a subtle after taste that I don't prefer. But that being said, Cheeze wiz is perhaps one of the greatest cheeze sauces ever made. Try it on a greasy burger. YUMMY.

It's pretty strange. I take a dim view of most processed foods, but there are some huge exceptions, and Whiz is one of them. There's just something about the way it melts into the meat on a cheese steak that works for me. I've tried provolone and mozz, but I always go back to Whiz.

I've never had it on a burger; in fact that never occured to me...but it sounds promising. My next trip to the supermarket will include chop meat and whiz. I'm thinking toasted white bread instead of a roll. Damn, now I'm hungry.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 85
Provolone, occasionally Swiss.

Is Cheez Whiz actually a food product? I always thought it was something you sprayed on the car that belongs to an obnoxious neighbor.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 85
Provolone! Unless it is from the trucks then it is American. Nothing beats a $3.75 cheese steak
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 85
Philly cheese steak is an easterner thing and I have never seen any restaurant out west here offer it on the menu. I saw a show about famous sandwich restaurants in the U.S. and know philly cheese steak is very popular in some areas of eastern U.S. I've never had one myself but wouldn't mind trying one. I don't think I would want cheese whiz on it though, probably swiss cheese.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philly cheese steak is an easterner thing and I have never seen any restaurant out west here offer it on the menu. I saw a show about famous sandwich restaurants in the U.S. and know philly cheese steak is very popular in some areas of eastern U.S. I've never had one myself but wouldn't mind trying one. I don't think I would want cheese whiz on it though, probably swiss cheese.

I've seen a Philly cheese steak shop in San Francisco once and I've heard that there is a place in Los Angeles that serves a good Philly cheese steak.

That being said, it's a very simple concept. It's thin slices of fully cooked beef (pan fried like style) with cheese on bread- the long roll which is somewhat like a baguette but not as crusty. Every other topping is just an additional and purely subjective.

I live in the Philly area and I am not a purist when it comes to the Philly cheese steak. I believe a great version can be made anywhere on the planet. As long as you have good quality beef, bread and cheese, you can make a great cheese steak sandwich-maybe even the best.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't participate if you haven't had a Philly-style steak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had one myself but ...

... fail.

It's whiz or nothing. whiz is how it is made. I'll happily eat another sandwich with provolone, but in my mind that sandwich is not a cheese steak.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 85
Aged cheddar cheese. I like cheez whiz sometimes depending on my mood, more often than not I taste that strange whiz after taste though. I ate a philly cheese steak with provolone yesterday. Tasted pretty good.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 85
Perhaps this may be a sacrilege, but I've made a great steak sandwich with no cheese but instead, I used a great southern style barbecue sauce on the steak sandwich. I would simply pour it on the sandwich. It was excellent and you can experiment with this too. I like the BBQ sauce combination with no cheese so the flavor becomes more up front in the palette. It's a very different interpretation but I love it.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whiz is just absolutely horrific. Organic unpasteurized raw cheddar cheese for me.

You keep eating organic, unpasteurized food and I'll keeping eating whiz. We'll see who dies first
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back