What kind of cheese do you have on your Philly cheese steak?
Dec 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even realize that Jim's had expanded beyond the original South St. location. Again, that's probably an indication of how long it's been since I last set foot in Philly. Based on the comments about Steve's in this thread, I may have to spend a day in Philly and make Steve's a part of the mission. I have no desire to make the trip simply as a sentimental journey (I'm not much into nostalgia), but the idea of a new standard in cheesesteak excellence might induce me to hop the train.

The original Jim's is on 52nd Street in West Philly. IIRC, the South St store was their second location, and the Roosevelt Mall their third.

Grrr!! Here I am snowed in and craving a Whiz wit', extra meat from Steve's.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #77 of 85
Jim's Steaks Philadelphia
http://www.stevesprinceofsteaks.com/

Quote:

The original Jim's is on 52nd Street in West Philly

Sorry, 62nd Street. I didn't know they had a Springfield location:

drooling_homer.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #78 of 85
I was in New York City recently and I noticed that there are some places that serves cheese steak sandwiches. I haven't tried them but I imagine it's probably pretty good since NYC is a good food city.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #79 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original Jim's is on 52nd Street in West Philly. IIRC, the South St store was their second location, and the Roosevelt Mall their third.

Grrr!! Here I am snowed in and craving a Whiz wit', extra meat from Steve's.

Anytime you or anyone wants to meet up at Steve's just PM me. For a Steve's I can be ready at almost any moment. Lmao!

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #80 of 85
Haha, yeah! I'm totally up for it.
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #82 of 85
It's about a 15 minute walk to get to Steve's from where I live.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #83 of 85
I have spent a lot of time in Philly and eaten at many cheese steak places in Philly.

1. WHIZ is the best choice for a Philly cheese steak. I normally do not like Cheez Whiz, period. However, Cheez Whiz has a synergy with a true Philly cheese steak. First, unlike other cheeses like Provolone, Whiz is gooey -- that makes the sandwich texture better (everything from roll to meat to cheese is smooth and soft). Second, although Whiz does have a processed taste, it somehow helps bring out the meat's flavor. Kind of like how salt pulls out flavor in foods. Third, I've tried many styles, and I always go back to Whiz.

2. If I were getting a cheese steak sandwich that was NOT a true Philly steak sandwich -- like one of those places at the mall that puts lettuce and tomato on your steak sandwich, or uses harder rolls than the Philly shops use -- I would NEVER pick Whiz. Whiz works great for the true Philly steak sandwich, but it's not the same elsewhere. Whiz mixed with lettuce and tomato - yuck! Soft Whiz with harder or stale bread - yuck! It's not the same!

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #84 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonchan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about a 15 minute walk to get to Steve's from where I live.

PM me your number whenever you want to setup a Steve's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #85 of 85
Hey Ross, had a blast at Steve's. Thanks again for the Cheesesteak, and lending me some headphones. Auditioning your headphones was fun, but I'm not so sure I made the right decision haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back