What kind of cheese do you have on your Philly cheese steak?
Feb 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #31 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the Pat's wrapper and the side of cheese fries (with Whiz, of course) I could have started a thread about the Jim's/Pat's/Geno's question, but I was afraid people would kill each other. I was always a Jim's man, but Pat's was always welcome. Only went to Geno's once.

Yo! DrBenway. Jim's, no doubt. If ever in Philly, try Ishkabibble, across the street from Jim's, a little east on South. Outdoor window, and inside dining with 3 barstools. Place is great.

Any former Philly folks won't recognize South St., as all the trees with gum stuck to them have been cut down. In fact, all the trees are gone, new ones planted. Seems way to bright there in the daytime.

Anyway, Jim's rules.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #32 of 85
Never had a Philly cheese steak...
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #34 of 85
Whiz, no doubt.

That being said I always got a kick out of all the Philippinos bringing back Cheez Whiz from home that was made in like 1982. I guess the stuff doesn't expire. Even in tropical heat and humidity for 20 plus years. :O

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yo! DrBenway. Jim's, no doubt. If ever in Philly, try Ishkabibble, across the street from Jim's, a little east on South. Outdoor window, and inside dining with 3 barstools. Place is great.

Sounds good. I haven't been to Philly since shortly after finishing school, and that was, umm, a long time ago. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit in the neighborhoods that I used to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any former Philly folks won't recognize South St., as all the trees with gum stuck to them have been cut down. In fact, all the trees are gone, new ones planted. Seems way to bright there in the daytime.

Anyway, Jim's rules.

I always thought Jim's made a great steak. Sounds like the neighborhood has really changed. Do you happen to know if the Book and Record is still there on South St.? I spent a lot of my spare cash (what little I had) on used records there. They had a great selection; I really miss that place.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #36 of 85
American cheese no doubt. That's the tradition and the best tasting.

My order is:
Steak and Cheese, with mushrooms, green peppers and onions; and mayonnaise spread to one side of the sub bread.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a Philly cheese steak shop in San Francisco once and I've heard that there is a place in Los Angeles that serves a good Philly cheese steak.

Yes, but I am in Canada and have never seen them sold anywhere here. Hmm, maybe i should open a Philly Cheese Steak joint up. Could be profitable seeing as I might be the only Western Canadian joint selling them. I think it is Pizza Hut that has a Philly Cheese Steak pizza and I have had that.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... fail.

You fail for not sending me PM about which bass guitar to buy!

I have had roast beef and cheese sandwiches many times so close enough. BTW, us Brits invented that and the only cheese we use is cheddar on roast beef sandwiches, oh yea, we invented the sandwich too.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you living? I know at least a couple dozen places around LA that offer them. If you come out for CanJam, I'll take you to get one in El Segundo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Canada, too far away to pay you a visit but thanks anyway. I should check out Arby's and see if they sell them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a NJ native I feel qualified to put in my two cents. Cheez Wiz is plastic cheese. If that's what you use it should be called a "processed food spread & steak swndwich". Provolone is the way to go.

[size=x-small]
PhillyCheesecake2.jpg
[/size]

Just realized I have had that at subway so I can get those in Canada.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #41 of 85
Spent some time in Philly. Genos had nice lighting but a so so CS. Pats looked like it was older than the stanley steamer but at least the sandwiches were better than Geno's. My favorite was Jim's was my favorite. Must be Provalone "wit" onions and sometimes some MLT. Whiz (for me at least) was just a good way to ruin the sub. I hope someone from Philly clues us in on were to get the best in town.

southstreetphoto3.jpg

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #42 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You fail for not sending me PM about which bass guitar to buy!

You besmirch me, good sir! I sent that PM at 15:32 on the 4th of February. It contained useful followup questions, which have as yet gone unanswered.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #43 of 85
Damn! You all made me really hungry...
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spent some time in Philly. Genos had nice lighting but a so so CS. Pats looked like it was older than the stanley steamer but at least the sandwiches were better than Geno's. My favorite was Jim's was my favorite. Must be Provalone "wit" onions and sometimes some MLT. Whiz (for me at least) was just a good way to ruin the sub. I hope someone from Philly clues us in on were to get the best in town.

It is a much heated debated on who has the best in town. There are a lot of places that I have yet to order cheese steaks from but I feel I have gone to most of the more popular ones.
My order would be:
1) Jim's
2) Rick's
3) Tony Luke's
4) Pete's Lunchbox (truck at 33rd and Lancaster)
5) Ishkabibble's

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You besmirch me, good sir! I sent that PM at 15:32 on the 4th of February. It contained useful followup questions, which have as yet gone unanswered.

Sorry, but I sent two follow ups. The 2nd was because I ws wondering why you had'nt replied to the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back