What kind of burning-in do M50's really need to do their best?
May 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ckunke002

New Head-Fier
First off, I know this kind of question has been asked, but from everything I've read I still am wishy washy on a few things...

1. I just downloaded a 5 minute song (lol) of pink noise. What is the best way to get this repeating for hours on end through headphones to "burn them in" the right way?

2. At what volume do I need to have this "pink noise" playing to burn them in properly? 

3. How many hours (in your experience) should it take?

Thanks everyone!

May 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 8
With any headphones I've ever had, I usually just listen to them at normal listening volumes and enjoy the slight changes that usually come with burn in. I can say though, if you love them now you'll love them post burn in, however the same can be said for the negative side of that spectrum. If you dont like them now, you won't like them after burn in. Changes from burn in in my opinion are subtle, sometimes it makes the bass come out in some headphones, sometimes it smooths the treble, with others it does relatively nothing. At any rate, enjoy your new headphones, just enjoy them... Not worry about burning them in and welcome to head-fi

May 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 8
1.) Play the file and put it on repeat?  Is this a trick question?
2.) Play the file at normal listening volume.  Definitely do not crank the volume.
3.) 100 hours is a good place to start.

Burn-in is controversial.  Some people say it exists and others say it doesn't.  I personally like to just listen to music through my headphones.  If you can hear it burning in, that's great.  If you can't, then you can't.  It's not a big deal.

Just enjoy the music.  :)

And welcome to Head-Fi.

May 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm awaiting the arrival of my m50's, first headphones ever, excluding my altec lansing ear buds which doesn't count obviously. I kept on reading about burn in times and running pink noise and all that junk. I think burn in time is prevalent but I'm not going to spend this much money on headphones and not notice the changes myself.

I was going to run pink noise, but where's the fun in that. Just listen to music, watch tv and movies; everything I can get through them. That is my burn in process; also listening at normal volume I typically have it at. EQ on my laptop will stay the same how it is with my bass setting I use; slight elevation nothing dramatic.

May 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I'm awaiting the arrival of my m50's, first headphones ever, excluding my altec lansing ear buds which doesn't count obviously. I kept on reading about burn in times and running pink noise and all that junk. I think burn in time is prevalent but I'm not going to spend this much money on headphones and not notice the changes myself.

I was going to run pink noise, but where's the fun in that. Just listen to music, watch tv and movies; everything I can get through them. That is my burn in process; also listening at normal volume I typically have it at. EQ on my laptop will stay the same how it is with my bass setting I use; slight elevation nothing dramatic.

Just use them... and then eventually they'll be burned in- and you'll never even notice. I think burn may not be a myth, but in my experience as a audiotechnica fan boy... it's not really notable on these cans- although I'm sure more elite audiophiles may say otherwise. I think it's more of a brand dependant thing. Welcome to head-fi.

May 22, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
1.) Play the file and put it on repeat?  Is this a trick question?
2.) Play the file at normal listening volume.  Definitely do not crank the volume.
3.) 100 hours is a good place to start.

Burn-in is controversial.  Some people say it exists and others say it doesn't.  I personally like to just listen to music through my headphones.  If you can hear it burning in, that's great.  If you can't, then you can't.  It's not a big deal.

Just enjoy the music.  :)

And welcome to Head-Fi.

Hahahahahaha. Sorry, didn't mean to ask such a dumb question! I was sort of just asking what's the best way to do that, like through an iPod or computer or what, because things run out of batteries and such and people suggest 100's of hours of burning in so I jst wanted advice.

Thanks for the good answers so far everyone else!

May 22, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
From my experience, it takes about 200 hours before the soundstaging reaches their peak and the mids become their fullest.

There is a huge improvement at the 1 hour mark... somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back