What kind of amp (SS or tube) for Denon headphones
Feb 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 21
Here's my take on it: 

I would buy the phones first and the amp second. You'll love the Denon's right out of your computer. Secondly, that amp is discontinued so that half price at musicdirect is in place until they sell out. Because of this, the value of used models will fall drastically. Odd's are you'll be able to pick one up some months down the road anyway. 

Were I you, I'd go for the phones. Then you are even better off because you can take your phones and audition amps. The combo may be less magical for you. 

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 21
I, too, have never liked Denons with tube amps. Even with powerful valve rigs like the WA6SE and appropriate tubes, the bass is just too syrupy for my tastes.

IMO, there is no better bargain these days than the Purity Audio KICAS. It's made in Canada (for the OP's benefit) and pairs very well with Denons. I'd suggest the standard (non-Caliente) model. This would be a very nice pickup to go with D5000s.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Here's my take on it: 

I would buy the phones first and the amp second. You'll love the Denon's right out of your computer. Secondly, that amp is discontinued so that half price at musicdirect is in place until they sell out. Because of this, the value of used models will fall drastically. Odd's are you'll be able to pick one up some months down the road anyway. 

Were I you, I'd go for the phones. Then you are even better off because you can take your phones and audition amps. The combo may be less magical for you. 

Good luck!

Yea I think I agree, the way you put it makes the most sense. I had no idea the item was discontinued, so you're probably be right in that I'll likely be able to find it similarly priced later down the road. Thanks!

Quote:
I, too, have never liked Denons with tube amps. Even with powerful valve rigs like the WA6SE and appropriate tubes, the bass is just too syrupy for my tastes.

IMO, there is no better bargain these days than the Purity Audio KICAS. It's made in Canada (for the OP's benefit) and pairs very well with Denons. I'd suggest the standard (non-Caliente) model. This would be a very nice pickup to go with D5000s.

Thanks for the input! From the reading I've been doing, the K.I.C.A.S. sounds like it could be a winner, though my sonic preferences would direct me towards the Caliente model.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

But please help me decide, do I take the $400 amp or do I order the Denon AH-D5000's.
If I was to order the amp, I would be using it with a pair of Shure SRH 840's, which typically don't benefit too much from amplification due to their low impedance. It would be a number of months before I'd be able to afford the Denon's, and in the meantime I wouldn't be enjoying the amp anywhere near its potential.
If I order the headphones, I'll be able to have an immediate increase in quality that will satisfy me for a while, but there is absolutely no chance I'll be able to afford the amp in the future since it retails for $1000.

I have SRH840 & D5000 and would say that they do indeed benefit from amplification.  Low ohms does not mean that they don't need an amp, just that they need more current relative to voltage (amperes=volts/ohms).  I also agree that the Denons sound better with a solid state amp.  Get the inexpensive amp- imo the return on $ for headphones is much larger than for an amp.  That way you could afford both the amp & the Denons.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:

I second this...I have the KICAS paired with a LA2000 and they synergize really well. Bass is tight and controlled, mids and highs are more pronounced and soundstage is bigger. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 21
I too would suggest the Kicas Regular version, I just got it for my D2000's with wood cups, J$ pads and markl mod (basically D5000) and couldnt be happier. I originally ordered the Calente but had them switch to the normal version after reading people thought there was too much bass with the D5000's and Calente. You can always EQ if you feel the bass is lacking... couldnt be happier with my purchase, just put the icing on the cake by ordering a Audio-GD NFB-3 to complete my setup :) cant wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back