What Kids Think--It's Just Dismaying
Dec 11, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #76 of 364
I would try "If I catch you cheating, your balls are mine!"

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #77 of 364
"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers." - Socrates

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #78 of 364
There is a lot of stupidity out there, and then I look at my 13 year old daughter and her friends, interested in recycling, politics, reading, music and such and see how they sop up learning form their teachers and realize there is hope. May be because with live in "elitist" Massachusetts or both her parents are scientists, but we need to keep encouraging this generation to learn and read and think for themselves. I would mention alot more, but as politi s and religion are not to be discussed, I won't.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #79 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try "If I catch you cheating, your balls are mine!"

My ultimatum when I caught a couple students cheating: "Your papers are exactly the same, including the mistakes. It's obvious that one of you copied the other. If one of you rats out the other, you'll get the marks. If neither of you says anything, then you both get zero. If you both fess up, then I take the grade on one of these papers and split it in half between you. That's my offer. Let me know before tomorrow's class."

Slightly evil, yet fair
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #80 of 364
If it were me, I would allow both to retake the test on the spot. Whichever refuses to take it fails on the spot. If both choose to retake it, the one who obviously scores higher get's half of that score. The other fails permanently. How's that?
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
I still feel the cheater should get more severe punishment and the half score for the one who willingly(or unknowingly) let him cheat. That will teach that individual to take precautions when hiding their own answers.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #81 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers." - Socrates

Only problem is that there's really no evidence that Socrates said anything of the sort. And if there was, it very well could have been Plato putting words in Socrates', by then deceased, mouth.

Besides, Socrates was likely the one teaching those Athenian youths to contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers...

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #82 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me, I would allow both to retake the test on the spot. Whichever refuses to take it fails on the spot. If both choose to retake it, the one who obviously scores higher get's half of that score. The other fails permanently. How's that?
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
I still feel the cheater should get more severe punishment and the half score for the one who willingly(or unknowingly) let him cheat. That will teach that individual to take precautions when hiding their own answers.

The thing was, I knew which one was the smart one, but they always let their friend copy which is just as bad sometimes. So I forced them to make a hard decision.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #83 of 364
Oh. If the smart one is willingly letting the other copy, then I would just fail both on the spot.
smily_headphones1.gif
But you making them choose is rather painful as well.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #84 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ultimatum when I caught a couple students cheating: "Your papers are exactly the same, including the mistakes. It's obvious that one of you copied the other. If one of you rats out the other, you'll get the marks. If neither of you says anything, then you both get zero. If you both fess up, then I take the grade on one of these papers and split it in half between you. That's my offer. Let me know before tomorrow's class."

Slightly evil, yet fair
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do you formally charge them with academic dishonesty ?

I wanted to give my transgressors unofficial warnings (foolishness of youth and all that) and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not do so ! I can see why as well , an unofficial warning means they can keep doing it, whereas if it is on file , even if not on a transcript they might just think twice in future.

Having said that I did once catch the same student cheating twice in two different classes of mine in different terms, stupidity that gross deserves expulsion and as a 3rd offence that is what it got...

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #85 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He starts out with some nonsense, such as saying all other planets, around all other suns, are just rock and gas, with no life. I've never read his books, so didn't know who he was. That statement a few others in the beginning, had me looking him up.

actually, if you listen more carefully, Dawkins says "maybe only one" and "possibly the only one." this is the completely reasonable statement of a scientist who is aware of the current body (and limitations) of scientific knowledge.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #86 of 364
A fine post catachresis. It reminds me of a story my father told me about a class he had in law school. One day, in the middle of the semester, there was a blackout in the middle of this particular class. The students, predictably, were pretty excited by the prospect of ending class early, which was going to happen shortly. But not before the professor silenced the class by banging his hand on the lectern and bellowed:

"This situation only serves to illustrate what I have heretofore experienced as the impenetrable darkness of your minds."

And with that he walked out.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #87 of 364
Could this be the reason why super-hardworking-gunner-type A students from India and China are taking over the world?

I think we all need to have some of that wall-street mentality - meritocracy to the max.

That's the way capitalism should work, too bad main street just doesn't get it.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #88 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we all need to have some of that wall-street mentality - meritocracy to the max.

Heh, Wall Street as meritocracy. Not quite. There are many, MANY unmitigated morons working in high positions in the sectors one would associate with a "Wall Street mentality."

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #89 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, Wall Street as meritocracy. Not quite. There are many, MANY unmitigated morons working in high positions in the sectors one would associate with a "Wall Street mentality."

probably have connections, which implies someone in their prior generation was a smart-super hardworking-gunner-type A, or they were shrewd enough to marry into one
wink.gif

plus, there are always exceptions, even on wall street.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #90 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could this be the reason why super-hardworking-gunner-type A students from India and China are taking over the world?

That's the way capitalism should work, too bad main street just doesn't get it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Wall Street = Meritocracy?

AHAHHAHAHAHAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back