What Kids Think--It's Just Dismaying
Dec 19, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #361 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am completely different than both of you. I found in school I had to learn and understand the central theme of a course and then let it radiate outwards. Quite often when I started a new school year I would really struggle to grasp the subject at hand but by the end of the second month I would be right at the top of the class and I would stay there even if I shut the engines down.

A great skill to have in school. This allows you to not have to kill yourself studying, and instead of relying on logic and problem solving skills combined with your grasp of the central themes of the course to guide you through exams.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #362 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am completely different than both of you. I found in school I had to learn and understand the central theme of a course and then let it radiate outwards. Quite often when I started a new school year I would really struggle to grasp the subject at hand but by the end of the second month I would be right at the top of the class and I would stay there even if I shut the engines down.

I cruised though high school with a similar way. I never studied and only did homework when it was 100% of the grade or the teacher gave the homework assignment at the beginning of class. I remember in trig, I handed in the homework at the end of class every day.

My grades weren't great but I did learn it all. I even tutored people in classes that I was getting Cs and Ds in. The French teacher go so frustrated with me, she didn't let me take French in my senior year. Since I was fluent, she still let me go on the class trip to France.

It killed me in college though. I didn't have bad study habits, I had no study habits. I went to a fairly hard school and struggled. I ended up dropping out and never got my degree. It hurt my job prospects short term, but not in the long term.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #364 of 364
Slash47 said:-
Don't you think Aristotle isl #1 when it comes to arguing? He sure makes the most sense to me... Once I read some of his and Machiavelli's books right after each other I never looked at politicians in the same way. It was right before Obama's campaign as well, so that was quite interesting for comparison. Aristotle even made me join a political party

Anyway, I feel your pain! It's a rant I hear quite often from others who teach. But you should take satisfaction in the fact that you're teaching the people who actually need it! You sure ain't preaching to the pope bu the sound of it .

They wouldn't be Plato's "The Republic" and Machiavelli's "The Prince" would they?
Next you'll be into Ayn Rand, George Orwell, and The Club of Rome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back