What Kids Think--It's Just Dismaying
Dec 10, 2009 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 364

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thick into the last throes of grading end-of-term composition papers. I teach the second stage of English Composition--the one where I'm supposed to take off the training wheels and get everybody to analyze arguments. This is hard for most students. Even the students who are up for it are often testosterone-combusting geeks. Of course, in nearly every class there's an older student, or an especially well-trained student who is stepping in an orderly fashion through the BSC into Med School. She writes more measured, more considerate, and better articulated (perhaps) essays than I.

But there are quite a few students--they're required to write analyses of opposing opinions on a controversial issue towards the end of the course--who *alarm me*, or *make me very worried*, or, more frankly, scare the bejeezus out of me because they are not only hard-core ideologues, but they can't even fathom that they *are* dyed-in-the-wool inveterate ideologues.

Premise: I teach a course on different approaches to argumentation. These include propositional logic, standards of empirical evidence, critique of ideological context, and good-old-fashion Aristotelian play with the old rhetorical triangle of ethos, pathos, and logos. I'll even dash in a bit of 18th-century skepticism/ post-War Deconstruction to be the Devil's advocate and keep the alert but complacent better students hopping. A required course on the argumentative essay--that's what they sign-up for.

And yet I have ostensibly alert, middle-class students who have stared at me and said things like, "What do you expect. You can't change what somebody believes."

A few years ago, the more refractory students identified themselves with the hip-hop critique of bourgeois America, and I was cool with that, with the exception that I was a White college instructor and therefore a primary hegemon of the ******** coming down from the oppressor race. I'd say, "Fair dues--fair dues. . . " and try to talk about basic tenants of class warfare, or even the ideological history of the post-bellum Deep South. They just hung onto the who anti-intellectual resistance to discourse that evinced the fact that they were "keeping it real." I didn't make any progress with that stance and just had to take my lumps. And really, just about the time that Fiddy Cent was saying "Get Rich or Die Tryin'," Dick Chaney and Tom DeLay were advocating the same simplified Darwinian ethos for everybody who reads US News and World Report. Even Jesus perked up enough to rewrite the New Testament with the Prosperity Gospel.

Anyhow, none of my Black students are claiming to keep it real any longer. Everybody is grinding for that elusive future job in the service industry. But the White students I've got now just take the cake--and all of the candy as well. I just graded a final essay in which a woman explained that not only should abortion be treated as a form of "elective surgery," but the law should account it no more important to women's health care than is a "tummy-tuck." Indeed, she seemed to imply that she'd support the necessity of federally funding the coverage of botox injections and breast enlargement for Charro over permitting any insurance policy to partially cover abortion. I'm not saying that I'm a great advocate of abortion, but I'm not a reductive, simplistic dismisser of its potential legitimacy either.

And the student didn't even bother to actually pull out a full-fledged analysis that would have offered some sort of rational grounds for the stance. Instead, she found two guys who were pontificating on Helium.com to be her credible sources, and she read off the "talking-notes" teleprompter. Implicitly, she suggested that truth itself was something that was now decided by plebiscite--like the winners of Dancing with the Stars. If the vocal and voting majority believe that girls with epilepsy are possessed by Satan, or that the President is Hitler and Mao at the same time, or that, basically, poor people get what they get because that's what they deserve, and poverty is God's special way of advertising that the punishments wreaked upon the unrighteous are justified by their sin, just as the fortunes acquired by the local CEO of the State Health HMO--recently indited for corruption--are proof of his godly election, and I'm supposed to take all of these verities as being impervious to any reasoned argument--then I want to be transferred to the Intro to Creative Writing Class where we write poems about the special magical qualities of rainbows, unicorns, and BFFs.

Thanks for letting me rant. I know that this post will be gone in ten minutes. Respects to the Mod. I'm off to grade a few more essays before bed.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 364
Would you like me to send you my IRP for you to look at? Hopefully it'll bring your spirits up.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 364
Its not much better here. Some of my peers are so stupid. Example:

Me: What do you read
Guy: I don't read much
Me: Ok what ever

2 minutes later

Guy: I have so much homework, like 50 pages of reading
Me: Dude that is like an hour tops, that is not that much
Guy: No, I read slow, It takes me like 3 hours.
Me: Oh, thats because you don't read much.
Guy:I know

lol

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 364
Don't you think Aristotle isl #1 when it comes to arguing? He sure makes the most sense to me... Once I read some of his and Machiavelli's books right after each other I never looked at politicians in the same way. It was right before Obama's campaign as well, so that was quite interesting for comparison. Aristotle even made me join a political party
tongue.gif

Anyway, I feel your pain! It's a rant I hear quite often from others who teach. But you should take satisfaction in the fact that you're teaching the people who actually need it! You sure ain't preaching to the pope bu the sound of it
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 364
Good read and most enlightening on many levels!

I see no thing wrong in writing of those subject matters in this context here.

/ Just refrain from red inking my posts, sir
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 364
Kirosia lost faith in people many years ago. He saw the horrors of ignorance and stupidity, and vowed to rid himself of such things. Kirosia also thinks that downing a fifth of scotch before bed is sometimes okay, cause life's a ***** and people need to get shot in the face.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 364
catachresis: Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed the read with both amusement and dismay.

If it make you feel any better, I can offer a few gems of my own in a display of empathy. Keep in mind, I am an Earth Science teacher who majored in Geography...

Student looking at a map: "where is the United States?"

"I have 20-20 hearing."

"If I stuck my hand in lava, how much of it would be burned?" <---- the students really liked that topic
icon10.gif

My favorite...

Student (totally straight-faced during this entire exchange): I am bored. Talking about volcanoes is boring.
Me: Why?
Student: I do not believe in science.
Me: Why is that?
Student: I believe in God.
Me: You do know that they are not mutually exclusive. You can believe in both.
Student: Okay, well, I am bored, and I still do not believe in science...

*I had to do my best not to bash my head against the wall on this one. It was in the middle of a lecture about the types of volcanoes. Of all the times to offer that little turd of wisdom...

Mods, you can edit the last one of you find it offensive. Personally, I find it to be funny as hell.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 364
I must say that as a student in a public high school, some teachers are competent, some aren't.

I walked past a science class and overheard the teacher say "So the bacteria produces yeast, and that's called fermentation."

I stopped dead in my tracks. How exactly did this teacher make it through collage? How is he teaching science at my school?

I dread next year. AP Physics is taught by this teacher. I don't know how I will deal with this sort of stuff every day.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 364
All I can do is this after reading. *facepalm*

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I walked past a science class and overheard the teacher say "So the bacteria produces yeast, and that's called fermentation."

I stopped dead in my tracks. How exactly did this teacher make it through collage? How is he teaching science at my school?

I dread next year. AP Physics is taught by this teacher. I don't know how I will deal with this sort of stuff every day.

Your AP Physics teacher also teaches life science?...

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 364
IBTL
popcorn.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IFTL
popcorn.gif

Why would this be In Fore The Lock?

Social commentary is perfectly acceptable. Hell, if the girlie picture thread is still up, this should not even be on the mods' radar.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 364
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that as a student in a public high school, some teachers are competent, some aren't.

College?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back