What is the rationale behind the prohibition of DBT discussion?
Jul 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #121 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

It is the ferrite beads on the cable, which Kimber and others use, that can cause problems with USB 2.0.

GIYF!  Here are some results from a simple search:

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong, but to me the conclusion from your quotes is this: you can screw up the USB cable if you don't make it according to specifications. Normally made USB cable therefore is as good as it can be.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #122 of 454
How do blind testers deal with bias?
I imagined a fictional experience, tell me if it is possible or if it already took place.

Let's say we are testing cable A vs cable B using a second person to do the switch.
The listener doesnt know which cable he listens to.

Yet, he knows the only possible change is between the cables, but he's really skeptic about cable difference.
During the test he does hear any difference, as expected.

Now, it is revealed to him that there never was a cable change but he was listening to two different tracks with a +3 dB bass boost in the second, the average SPL was matched though.
The tester now knows what the difference between A and B, he manages an ABX with a great level of confidence. He was just biased against hearing difference ion the first test.

Has this situation ever occurred? Obviously there is still a bias in DBT or single blind testing if the testing devices are known to the listener.
Removing that information and say were are testing system A vs B without any info on what A or B is is the obvious solution, yet this is quite difficult to set up even in academic testing, and almost impossible in a domestic blind test.

Any opinion?

It is a repost of an earlier post, which happened to be at the bottom of the page :wink:

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #123 of 454

Quote:
Yet, he knows the only possible change is between the cables, but he's really skeptic about cable difference.
During the test he does hear any difference, as expected.

Such a test would probably be a two alternative forced choice design ('pick the one of the two that sounded better') and the statistical analysis would compare the results against a (binomial) distribution of random choices to see if the results were non-random.  So to 'not hear a difference' would mean that the person *made a choice every trial about which sounded better*, but the choices were not statistically different from random.  So you're asking if their belief could make their choices go from random to non-random.

If the subjects make a good-faith effort, the forced choice design is very good at detecting differences with people who insist / believe there are no differences.  There are studies where people (with damaged visual systems) did not consciously discern a difference between two different drawings, and insisted that there was none, but still chose correctly.  But if the differences are very subtle, I'm sure someone with strong beliefs will not perform as well as someone really trying to hear a difference.  Usually this is not the case because human subjects are screened and given the expectation (by receiving a pill, etc.) that something will happen.  Still, the better test would be for people who hear sighted differences with cables to do it blind.  Maybe that's why anti-cablers keep asking cablers to repeat their tests blind  
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #124 of 454

Quote:
Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong, but to me the conclusion from your quotes is this: you can screw up the USB cable if you don't make it according to specifications. Normally made USB cable therefore is as good as it can be.

I think the following is the accurate rendition of your last sentence: cables made within the USB spec are as good as they can be.  Not "normally made".

You see, it is normal NOT to submit cables to the spec organization.  Nearly every cable manufacturer does not bother.  Nor can a consumer generally tell if a cable maker has submitted a sample to usb.org -- there is no badge.  There is a list on usb.org, but it does not appear to be updated on a regular basis (no one cares ... no commercial impact).

Worse -- only a sample is submitted, NOT the cable you bought.  So a manufacturer could have poor manufacturing QA and sell not-in-spec cables even though they are certified as "in spec".  Also, if the manufacturing is really bad, a cable might change over time.  You really have no idea what you're getting.

And the trouble is this: people who know computers make a huge, incorrect leap and say "if the digital cable transmits the 0'a and 1's without changing them, then the cable is working". Wrong wrong wrong!  The 0's and 1's have to be received reasonably on time, even if the DAC re-clocks and buffers.  I have read other people's USB receiving firmware source code, and there is no doubt.  I find this:

If (buffer empty when there should be a bit value from the music source) then (return previously read value that I saved just for this purpose).

I admit these errors are unlikely to be audible.  But for high-end USB cable manufacturers to use ferrite beads when they can slow down transmission is horrible.

None of this makes any practical difference.  With modern re-clocking DACs that use buffers, you can be out-of-spec on USB 2.0 timing and still be OK.  But if you are horribly out-of-spec time-wise then bit errors will occur at the receiver, even though all bits are sent without change.

The statement "a USB cable that is in spec is as good as it can be" is correct, a tautology really, since the spec insists on 100% accurate bit transmission on time.

Almost any USB cable you buy will be in spec for USB audio, especially if you avoid those with ferrite beads.

My real point is: the real-world is complicated.  Things are not as easy as they seem.  USB cable error analysis is not trivial.  Designing and running a proper blind test is not simple either.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #125 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

Oh fun, another one of _these_!  

So I actually think that Currawong and Wavoman are both right here, and both make good points.  Since everyone here seems to like Wavoman's, I'll just focus on Currawong's.  

Currawong's point, as I take it, is to say that when DBT is introduced, it quickly becomes established as the ultimate, sine-qua-non of judgment about any given item, as if there is a a coherent and universally-agree-upon methodology for conducting DBT. This turns many people off DBT, because as Wavoman states, there isn't.  Now if we want to make small statements like, when testing, you should listen to each blind, or if you can't tell a big difference between items, you should say so, or something else, no one would argue.  But DBT proponents, and many on the Sound Science Forums I've read, even here, go far beyond such commonsense propositions. 

They believe - yes, "believe" is the correct term here - in Science with a capital S.  Science "proves" things, establishes "facts" that are simply no longer disputable.  

Academically speaking, that's just not correct. But even without getting into the dreaded "philosophical discussion", I think most people will recognize that this sort of thing simply does not obtain in daily life.  Science is great - we have much to thank it for.  But the problem I believe Currawong is bringing up is a real and valid one: it's the worship of Science by those who are not themselves scientists, and don't really understand how complicated science actually is.  It's almost never a matter of having some Big Question that we need Science to answer, and then conducting some tests, and then getting The Answer and then no longer needing to discuss anything anymore.   Just think about it, if that was the case, why would scientists disagree?  Why would there be paradigm shifts every couple of decades where everything that was "established knowledge" within a given sub-field has to get thrown out based on a new model?  But perhaps most of all, you're never going to have anything resembling this hagiographic conception of "Science" when it comes to human beings.  Because human beings are INFINITELY more complicated than anything else we've ever encountered.  And real scientists are not like those hollywood or storybook scientists who are these Leonardo Da Vinci generalists who seem to know everything about everything.  Real science only makes progress by dividing everything up into such infinitely tiny spheres of consideration that virtually anything that anyone ever "proves" about anything is almost entirely meaningless in terms of definitively answering any "real world" question, unless and until we put together with tons of other individual "proofs" which by that very fact of addition becomes contestable, such that by the time you build up a grand theory of anything (esp anything human) based on science, it's no longer really "science" at all, but has a large component of "faith" in the sense I believe Currawong was trying to suggest.  (we could also say, guesswork, or inductive logic.)

Economics thinks of itself as a science.  Yeah, right. We've seen how that turned out.  There are tons of "social sciences" like political science, sociology, etc.  Marxism supposedly provides the most scientific and rational account of human socioeconomic development.  It's not exactly universally accepted.  Now even if you're going to throw all of those out, and say, those aren't "real" science, ok, but what about biology?  Neuroscience?  I can't tell you how many ridiculous articles clog up the world's papers every week discussing some new neuroscientific investigation.  The investigations themselves, outside of a contextualizing discussion relating them to human sociology, culture, etc., are almost entirely meaningless, and the scientists themselves are smart enough to know never to make any real claims for them, but since that wouldn't sell papers, we get endless science reporters who tell us how "X is related to Y batch of cells" or "Z chromosome" as if that means anything, and nine times out of 10, you'll find it all traced back to the "amygdala, the primitive center of the brain that is the seat of emotion."  

The only "fact" is, the human animal, for all our insane amount of research, simply gets more and more complex the further in we go, and while it's certainly possible to say a great many things that we weren't able to before, there are precious few answers to any of the big questions that people most want to know about.  How does this related to audio?  Well, one thing is that you've got electrical engineers on one side, who know very well how to build circuits.  But on the other, you don't have anywhere near a perfect understanding of how human hearing works, whether for musical reproduction or just in general.  Because before the 19th century, people thought we got sense data through our eyes or our ears or our hands, and then all of a sudden, everything went haywire, because the 19th century physiologists realized that more than 90% of our sensory perception was actually happening in our brain, which we know practically nothing about.  Any philosophy has been trying to recover ever since.

As I said before to Crazy Carl in the Sparrow thread, I've read a lot of good reviews on this site where the reviewer will stress that the differences between A and B are incredibly, incredibly minor.  Now if someone chooses to ignore that and go ahead and buy the more expensive one, that's their own fault.  I think the biggest problem on the forum is actually reviewers having the moral hazard wavoman talked about, and I don't know an easy way to deal with that.

But you're never going to convince people that DBT should be the only legitimate way of analyzing gear simply by repeating the words "fact," "science," "rational," etc., over and over and using all caps.  Because, even if they're not egotistical maniacs who have $100k of gear and need to justify their own purchases, and even if they're not making money off of the products you're questioning, just as regular human beings they're smart enough to know that just because you listen to A and listen to B and can't immediately discern a difference between them doesn't mean there isn't a difference to be found.  To many people, all coffee and all wine taste the same.  They learn there are differences only after much training and time.  And it's much easier to say, well look, you can save a lot of money by _not learning_ those differences!

As I think ProgRockMan stated earlier, DBT ultimately proves _far too much_ because it quickly leads to Crazy Carl's position that everything basically sounds the same.  Which I think is true - everything does, at some level of generalization, sound _basically_ the same.  And listening to a great song with friends out of a crappy boom box or an old car stereo while having an amazing time is going to "sound" great.  Even though the SQ, in some abstract sense, would be incredibly poor.  

I think the better reviews around head-fi already make use of blind testing, but I think it would be difficult to chide them for not doing it in an absolutely standardized way, since there's no accepted standard by which it would be done.  And given our present understanding of the human brain and thus the human sensory system, I doubt there could be.

I missed this post. People need to read it again I think. You indeed are correct about what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
Dude, seriously. Since you are already starting to draw my psychological picture (as often happens in discussions when rational talks end), let me ask you something. What is that YOU suggest? What is YOUR methodology? See, you talk about 'poor experiments', call me not interested in science, but what is that YOU suggest instead of blind testing? As many here tried to say, blind testing, even in its rather 'poor' form (meaning relatively few samples and so on), is light years ahead of making your 'impressions' in any other way. There was a guy (pro-statistician) here who confirmed the validity of this point; then another guy made the same point from the perspective of neuroscience. I just tried to talk commonsense here, and this time it coincides with what science has to say. So, please, go forward and suggest a better alternative to blind testing in listening tests, and I will count the flaws in your method.. just this time, unlike in case of blind testing, I suspect they will be quite fatal..

Yet again you have mis-read my posts and are putting ideas into them that are not there.  I did not, anywhere suggest there was a better alternative to DBT, but there are better, more accurate and useful ways to conduct and use DBTs for the benefit of audiophiles (which are thus more complex, as a greater number of variables would be removed). My ideas are larger than just conducting DBTs, however, but would involve carefully conducted measurements as well as attempt to remove psychological factors as well.  Maybe, at some point, I will write up entirely what I have in mind, and we can work on refining it and maybe someone might even what we come up with into practice.  An initial read which will give you a good idea of the potential flaws in DBTs and subsequently how things can be improved can be found here.

As you state that you are a scientist, you should, as people love pointing out whenever various audio debates come up, be aware of the ways you can be deceived and deceive yourself, so those things don't cause you to become a bad scientist in the future. If you cannot even read my posts correctly, what happens when you become as passionate about the field of science you are involved in as you are about the subject matter of this thread and cannot correct read what other scientists write?  Think about this, it will help you in the future.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #126 of 454

Quote:
Such a test would probably be a two alternative forced choice design ('pick the one of the two that sounded better')...If the subjects make a good-faith effort, the forced choice design is very good at detecting differences with people who insist / believe there are no differences.  ...  
tongue.gif

Good explanation of forced-choice, and this lets you see how response bias creeps in.  That is why I favor non-forced-choice designs, especially the four-question protocol (which others here do not like, btw):  no difference / difference but no preference / prefer A to B / prefer B to A.  (yea yea I keep repeating this, sorry).

The analysis is quite complicated.  And it can be improved too, with the introduction of C, known to be inferior, and with false comparisons (swindles),  Even more complex to analyze, and in fact proper analysis as not been published as far as I can see in the literature. 

There are good and bad reasons to use forced-choice.  You are balancing different kinds of bias. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #127 of 454

Quote by dexter3d commenting on AVU's long post
If that's directed towards me - I am a scientist, young but experienced enough to find many clichés in your unnecessarily philosophical post  ...And in what way worshiping science by non-scientists is problematic for you? As I see it, it is far more productive than worshiping some shaman or star-metal cables ...

Dex, I think you might be missing the essence of what AVU is saying.  Let me try:

First of all, as Currawong and others (including me) have pointed out, blind tests have problems of their own, and are hard to do correctly.  Much work remains to be done to improve the methodology.  In the food industry, where it really matters, there are dozens of research workers cranking out academic papers on this topic.  So, while we are all in favor of blind tests, we also see the darker side, the potential flaws, and therefore proceed with caution.

Grant us this.

Now AVU makes the brilliant point that some posters here on head-fi show the same (mis-placed) fanatic zeal for DBTs that cable-believers show for cable voodoo.  Let me call it "blind faith in blind testing", and it is as bad as snake oil.  Bravo AVU.  So, to answer you directly, no -- the worship of science by people who do not understand its limitations is not better than the worship of shamans by science-haters.  They are equally troublesome.

The enthusiam of youth collides with the experience of age.  Allow me to rip off Churchill: "A scientist in his twenties who does not believe 'science can conquer all' has no heart; a scientist in his sixties who has not learned the falsity of this belief has no head"

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #128 of 454

Quote:
I missed this post. People need to read it again I think. You indeed are correct about what I'm trying to say.

Yet again you have mis-read my posts and are putting ideas into them that are not there.  I did not, anywhere suggest there was a better alternative to DBT, but there are better, more accurate and useful ways to conduct and use DBTs for the benefit of audiophiles (which are thus more complex, as a greater number of variables would be removed). My ideas are larger than just conducting DBTs, however, but would involve carefully conducted measurements as well as attempt to remove psychological factors as well.  Maybe, at some point, I will write up entirely what I have in mind, and we can work on refining it and maybe someone might even what we come up with into practice.  An initial read which will give you a good idea of the potential flaws in DBTs and subsequently how things can be improved can be found here.

Currawong's points have been very well stated, valid and focused in what they should be focused, in the particular instances of DBT's that have been performed and in people concluding far more than what is pertinent. 

Yet many people on both sides of the argument get that wrong! Radical anti-cable guys take a (huge) leap of faith concluding that there is no difference and that is a fact. Radical pro-cable guys criticize the principle of DBT itself instead of the (many) issues of large scale DBT's so far. 

If anything the reasonable conclusion that I've tried to say in both this thread ant the music lovers one is that so far we have not found evidence to doubt that all persons hear all cables the same. Null hypothesis tests (that don't want to be sensationalistic) conclusions are done that way so to not give the false idea that they have demonstrated that there is no difference.

DBT is not the end of it all, even a very good designed and performed test still has a probability of being wrong, it is statistics after all. But it is a very useful tool to minimize the risks of committing big mistakes, that's it.

Quote:

Currawong's point, as I take it, is to say that when DBT is introduced, it quickly becomes established as the ultimate, sine-qua-non of judgment about any given item, as if there is a a coherent and universally-agree-upon methodology for conducting DBT. This turns many people off DBT, because as Wavoman states, there isn't.  Now if we want to make small statements like, when testing, you should listen to each blind, or if you can't tell a big difference between items, you should say so, or something else, no one would argue.  But DBT proponents, and many on the Sound Science Forums I've read, even here, go far beyond such commonsense propositions. 

Economics thinks of itself as a science.  Yeah, right. We've seen how that turned out.  There are tons of "social sciences" like political science, sociology, etc.  Marxism supposedly provides the most scientific and rational account of human socioeconomic development.  It's not exactly universally accepted.  Now even if you're going to throw all of those out, and say, those aren't "real" science, ok, but what about biology?  Neuroscience?  I can't tell you how many ridiculous articles clog up the world's papers every week discussing some new neuroscientific investigation.  The investigations themselves, outside of a contextualizing discussion relating them to human sociology, culture, etc., are almost entirely meaningless, and the scientists themselves are smart enough to know never to make any real claims for them, but since that wouldn't sell papers, we get endless science reporters who tell us how "X is related to Y batch of cells" or "Z chromosome" as if that means anything, and nine times out of 10, you'll find it all traced back to the "amygdala, the primitive center of the brain that is the seat of emotion."  

Do you want to be my friend?
tongue.gif
  Sometimes we humans can  be so arrogant and think we know and explain far more than we actually do. Your post was full of awesomeness (and this coming from a mathematician, not an anti science guy).

What you say about about papers (or investigations) seems to reflect an interesting phenomenon of science (at least in academia) today. Everybody wants to publish as much as possible, since it seems people think you are Erdös if you publish a lot and give a lot of importance that you have published. Even some academic rankings (very) heavily weight publication and citations in their algorithms.

There is a lot of noise in scientific papers due to this. The quantity of journals, conferences and stuff is very big, and sometimes the quality lacks from this (I'm not talking about Nature, SIGGRAPH or the heavyweights). To put things into perspective, a computer generated paper was accepted as a non reviewed paper in one of the smaller (and of dubious quality) conferences!

Quote:

Dex, I think you might be missing the essence of what AVU is saying.  Let me try:

First of all, as Currawong and others (including me) have pointed out, blind tests have problems of their own, and are hard to do correctly.  Much work remains to be done to improve the methodology.  In the food industry, where it really matters, there are dozens of research workers cranking out academic papers on this topic.  So, while we are all in favor of blind tests, we also see the darker side, the potential flaws, and therefore proceed with caution.

Grant us this.

Now AVU makes the brilliant point that some posters here on head-fi show the same (mis-placed) fanatic zeal for DBTs that cable-believers show for cable voodoo.  Let me call it "blind faith in blind testing", and it is as bad as snake oil.  Bravo AVU.  So, to answer you directly, no -- the worship of science by people who do not understand its limitations is not better than the worship of shamans by science-haters.  They are equally troublesome.

The enthusiam of youth collides with the experience of age.  Allow me to rip off Churchill: "A scientist in his twenties who does not believe 'science can conquer all' has no heart; a scientist in his sixties who has not learned the falsity of this belief has no head"

Maybe at heart I've always been an old scientist at heart
frown.gif
 (hopefully I'm still considered young at 24), I've never believed that 'science can conquer all', but what you say is full of wisdom. Churchill's phrase encompasses what I believe is the difference between wisdom and knowledge in a way.

Science is (or should) not be a belief system. Believing that science knows all basically defeats its purpose. Science is a dynamic body that changes constantly to improve. Without being (heavily) critical of what it is thought as scientifically valid that would not happen and Newton's law of universal gravitation would have been the last word and general relativity wouldn't have been developed. That is just a simplistic example to make my point that believing that 'science explains it all' actually cripples science growth.

Being categorical about subjects that concern human experiences (which as AVU very well stated, are complicated to say the least) can lead to either limiting our growth as species and individuals or at least to reduce the usefulness of scientific tools like DBT's, due to causing just arguments of "I'm right-you're wrong" instead of constructive criticism and enlightening arguments.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #129 of 454

Quote:
Almost any USB cable you buy will be in spec for USB audio, especially if you avoid those with ferrite beads.

That's what I'm trying to say, as we're discussing only audio here, aren't we. Now, where does this leave star-metal $500 USB cables? Or, where does this leave a guy who hears big differences in sound quality when switching different cables?

Quote:
I did not, anywhere suggest there was a better alternative to DBT, but there are better, more accurate and useful ways to conduct and use DBTs for the benefit of audiophiles

Fine, that is what I am saying. Returning back to the original question of this thread - how can you justify the _prohibition_ even to talk about it in regular discussions? If there is no better alternative, and if the question is only about details but not about the principle - What? 'Long discussions' argument? Come on..

Quote:
If you cannot even read my posts correctly, what happens when you become as passionate about the field of science you are involved in as you are about the subject matter of this thread and cannot correct read what other scientists write?

Don't blame me on this, I took your posts for what they are. Let's go back and read what you wrote in your very first post:

Quote:
If you take away the subject from your original post, what you're asking is, in effect, "Why is my belief system banned from discussion in the main forums?"

Now you kinda conceded that there are no better alternatives to DBT, but when you first saw this thread your first post was labelling blind testing as a 'belief system'. Make up your mind, because you are full of contradictions.. Belief system may be something totally unfounded or based on laughable evidence, usually based on wishful thinking. Best available explanation/method has nothing to do with belief systems, otherwise gravity is also a belief system.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #130 of 454

Quote:

My real point is: the real-world is complicated.  Things are not as easy as they seem.  USB cable error analysis is not trivial.  Designing and running a proper blind test is not simple either.

On the one hand, you admit that almost any USB cable will be as good as it can be for USB audio. But in the next paragraph, you start talking again about USB cable error analysis and emphasize complexity of all this.

We are discussing audio here. Why not stop with your first paragraph? There are veeeery good reasons for that: all sorts of snake oil THRIVE on this idea of 'unintelligible complexity' of cables, marihuana finders and so on. The truth is, however, that this complexity has almost no importance on anything that they claim, as in case of USB cables. 'It is complex! And you still don't know everything about this, right? Here's some more bull for you! Don't forget to come back later!'.

Quote:
blind tests have problems of their own, and are hard to do correctly.  Much work remains to be done to improve the methodology.  In the food industry, where it really matters, there are dozens of research workers cranking out academic papers on this topic.  So, while we are all in favor of blind tests, we also see the darker side, the potential flaws, and therefore proceed with caution.

Grant us this.

Oh, I grant you that. The question is about the details, not about the very principle. Why then is the entire forum compulsorily biased against the blind testing altogether? Why do I see a proud 'DBT FREE FORUM' inscription in the cable forum? :))) Isn't it weird that this 'DBT FREE' is proclaimed in the section where there is obviously most snake oil flowing around? :))) To make a better ecosystem for bull?

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #131 of 454
Jul 31, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #132 of 454

Quote:

Uncle Erik, I'm impressed with the way you you can turn absolutely any topic into a rant about the audiophile cable industry. But why be so coy?  Just speak your mind and let it all out.
wink.gif

But I don't agree with your view that it's the snake oil and BS that is keeping youngsters away. Sure, this may sometimes get onto their radar, but the real reason is simply that high-fi is not cool. It never was. Youngsters primarily want to have a good time and get laid (don't we all). HiFi is suffering even more now because it's even more important for them to be cool than ever before, and peer pressure has never been stronger. Now the HiFi industry has failed to gain their attention, but most of the people most of the time are oblivious to the high prices and snake oil.

But DBT is not the answer. Look, if you talk to a non-audiophile youngster and mention high priced cables, then they will probably think you're even more of a nerd than they had originally suspected. But if you tell them that, in order to get entry into the audiophile world, they need to participate in DBTs and read measurement graphs, then they won't just walk away - they will run. Very fast. That side of hifi is just so unbelievably uncool.

The way to get them interested is for the likes of Apple to be bothered with producing something really cute and for the feeling to grow that good SQ is not nerdy. If people started thinking that buying a good sounding hi-fi system would help get them laid, then that would be the biggest boost the industry has ever had.

Just think of cosmetics and fashion. Huge amounts of expensive snake oil and BS. But that doesn't stop girls of all ages buying it by the $billions.

Eric's posts are like snazzy cables.  You can get so easily lured into giving credit to the central points all because of how wonderfully and poetically he writes.

I'm with you here fully 'The Attorney' with regard to what motivates the youth today and yesterday, BTW.  Don't forget the computing and telephony industry.  There are billions being spent on them phones and computers for varying non-practical reasons.  A lot of snakeoil there too!!

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #133 of 454

Roger -- great post.

Dex -- we actually agree on most things.  Just as the complexity of getting USB audio right does not actually impact most USB cable decisions in the real-world, the complexity of blind testing that I keep harping on does not mean we should avoid DBT discussions.

This is your point, and I agree.  It's just -- as AVU and Currawong said so well -- that some here go too far in favor of blind testing, ending up as fanatic and non-logical as the snake oil believers themselves.

We should not be proud of the fact that we had to ban DBT discussions.  We were forced to do it just like town fathers have to install traffic lights to slow down speeders who are making the roads inhospitable.  In the end, that's the answer to your OP.

To understand the real "bent" of this community, read the post I quote below, from another thread yesterday (I'd wager the mistake of "too me" instead of "to me" was a Freudian slip -- he expects a lot of "me too!" replies).

Quote:
I don't do DBT or ABX. Why? Cause all these tests are hoo-wee. All that matters is what I hear and I'm secure enough in myself, to trust myself. If too me it sounds better, then it sounds better.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #134 of 454

Quote:
We should not be proud of the fact that we had to ban DBT discussions.  We were forced to do it just like town fathers have to install traffic lights to slow down speeders who are making the roads inhospitable.  In the end, that's the answer to your OP.

If that is the rationale behind this, can you give me a link to such 'unbearable', 'inhospitable' discussions, where cable believers were sodomized in writing by crazy DBT maniacs?

Quote:
I don't do DBT or ABX. Why? Cause all these tests are hoo-wee. All that matters is what I hear and I'm secure enough in myself, to trust myself. If too me it sounds better, then it sounds better.

That reminds me of comments of the sort 'Leave your government hands out of my medicare!'. Whatever, whatever, I do what I want! :) If that attitude is adopted, then there is really nothing to compare and evaluate here. There are 7 billion 'to me's' on earth..

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #135 of 454

Quote:
Now you kinda conceded that there are no better alternatives to DBT, but when you first saw this thread your first post was labelling blind testing as a 'belief system'. Make up your mind, because you are full of contradictions.. Belief system may be something totally unfounded or based on laughable evidence, usually based on wishful thinking. Best available explanation/method has nothing to do with belief systems, otherwise gravity is also a belief system.

I was labelling the attitudes of people, including yours, as treating science as religious people do their religion, not DBTs. I'm trying to get to the heart of the underlying problem to address your question more thoroughly.  Have you noticed that whenever science is discussed, you try and change the subject to be about cables, and when cables are discussed, you try and switch back to science?  I didn't want to address cables at all, but the heart of science, and the behaviour of people, including yourself, as it's ultimately a good idea to do so.  Really, if you look at the rules on Head-fi, they state that the discussion of topics which cause endless, forum-trashing arguments are not permitted to be discussed.  People are not capable of discussing politics, religion or DBT in a way that is useful to anyone. If you look at that fact, you could say, a great many people get so emotional and are so passionate about the topics they have a large ego investment in that they go about trashing forums when those topics are discussed, with the attitude that only their beliefs are the truth. Thus forums tend to forbid the discussion of those topics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back