What is the rationale behind the prohibition of DBT discussion?
Jul 29, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #91 of 454

Quote:
My point is simple: You don't want to discuss DBT, you want to shove it down people's throats even though you don't understand it, nor science and scientific method.  As you, and others have this attitude, DBT discussion has been restricted in the forums.

You seem, however, to want to try and make my posts to somehow be about cables, which they are not.  My posts are about science.  Without a proper understanding of science, discussing it even is near pointless.

It appears to me that your posts in this thread are an example of a kind of 'smoke-screen' BS that believers of all sorts of magic use to defend their unenviable position in rational discussions. Vague general remarks ('you don't understand science properly' etc), evasion of direct confrontation vis-a-vis the facts relating to subject-matter, and of course, relying on 'endless discussions' argument (which actually become endless because someone tries to defend something magic, where any rational conclusion is impossible by definition) in order to give artificial credence to their position ('teach the controversy!', where there is actually none), at best, or ban, censor or marginalize more critical attitude towards those things, at worst, as we see on Head-fi.

The reality is, however, that there is nothing ambiguous, complex or controversial about the fact: If you really hear the difference with your ears, you should hear the difference with the same ears when your eyes are shut (ceteris paribus). If you don't, well, then the difference was not about hearing. It is as simple as that, you don't need to talk about philosophy of science or statistics to realize that.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #92 of 454
Quote:

...high-fi is not cool...HiFi is suffering even more now because it's even more important for them to be cool than ever before, and peer pressure has never been stronger ... DBT is not the answer ... That side of hifi is just so unbelievably uncool.

The way to get them interested is... for the feeling to grow that good SQ is not nerdy

I think this is the best post I have ever read on Head-Fi.

And I love DBT's! 

I try in my own small way to make good SQ cool ... Folding Senn PX 100s/200s (new ones have better SQ) + a tiny good looking pocket amp (Shadow  ...Pico Slim would be fine too) very discreetly velcro'd (discreet discrete) to a nice iPod connected with a slick low profile right-angle LOD, filled with 16x48 ALACs down-translated from 24x96 tracks ... has worked with fellow employees, airline personnel, hotel clerks, etc.  Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, and The Eagles span enough musical tastes with the typical people I strike up conversations with, although I do have some classical cuts available. Have won a few converts, not many.  I never, never explain the technology.  If they are hooked I typically just give them RSA's web address and also tell them to go to HeadRoom (headphone.com) and/or Amazon for HPs (and I mention head-fi).

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #93 of 454
Dexter -- I think the point many of us have been trying to make is that formal audio DBT's are hard to do properly, very tricky to analyze correctly, and do not often establish general conclusions. In other words, many published studies have rather limited impact on our hobby and our day-to-day audio decisions.

Please understand that I love DBTs, believe in them, and undersand them well -- I am a statistican with world-class credentials (posted previously). I do research on audio DBT in my (unfortunately very limited) spare time.  Because of (my own) DBTs, I do not believe most cable claims.  The jury is still out on hi-res vs redbook.  For buying headphones, no DBT is useful.

Some day in the future large-scale DBTs will provide more answers than they do today.  But for right now they are a small part of the audio purchase decision.

Most of us would agree with you that a difference you cannot detect blindly does not exist except for placebo.  I highly advocate single-subject blind testing on yourself, getting a friend or spouse to help out.  Buying audio without audition or return privs is just dumb.  When I try something new, I work hard to test it blindly in my own room.  If I don't hear a difference blind, or as blind as I can be (you sometimes have to settle for non-blind A/B'ing, but I try hard to set the bias in favor of "new and shiny" aside), I don't pay the money, unless I buy it for looks etc. as previously discussed.

This is very different from discussions of published DBTs, which were really gumming up several forums, or worse, discussion like this thread -- arguing about DBTs!  So we made Sound Science, a great pun, and we are all happy there.  Head-Fi has not banned DBTs, as many other posters have pointed out, we just said: do it in one forum only.

If you read a review in a thread that you think is bogus, and you think the difference discussed cannot exist, and there is a related discussion in Sound Science, you are free to post a link to the proper Sound Science thread in any forum.

You do make an important point that should be stressed: because of the flaws in today's methodologies, many professional audio reveiwers, and some people here, dismiss DBTs totally, and that is just wrong.  Some professional audio reveiwers may be in moral hazard, since they depend on cable ads for their employment.  DBTs along with physical lab measurements should play a huge role in reveiws, and I hope this becomes true in the future. 

Just as Tyll is working on better ways to measure headphones, people should be working on better ways to run DBTs. Today's formal DBTs are surely not a panacea -- of course they seem at first to be the only scientific way forward, but on closer, more sophisticated analysis, many flaws (well discussed elsewhere) surface: response bias, forced choice, limited listening time, group effects, small sample sizes, inappropriate pooling of individual results, no adjustment for time and fatigue factors, insufficient alternatives, unrealistic settings, abuse of significance testing, lack of power against small but real non-null alternatives, etc.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #94 of 454

Quote:
Quote:
I think this is the best post I have ever read on Head-Fi.

I think this is the best response I have ever read on Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Maybe us head-fiers should all get together and create something cool and trendy to get the ball rolling. Picture the scene…

A group of attractive girls are having an intense conversation. I.e. they’re all on their Blackberries tweeting to absent mates. Then, Stunning Blond (SB) whips out an impossibly slim, sleek, white thingy and starts playing with it. Impressionable Girlie Friend (IG) is curious…

IG: “That looks cool. What is it?”
SB: “It’s an iGeek” she said proudly.

IG: “Never heard of it”
SB: “That’s because you’re not quite as cool and hip as I am”

IG: “Well, obviously. But what does it actually do?”
SB: “Ah. Well, erm, it gives better sound so that you can appreciate music more”

IG: “I didn’t understand a word of what you’ve just said”
SB: “No, I don’t have a clue either. But it has this great accessory called iGlow, which attracts all the hunky young men”.

SB takes inserts a small tube into the iGeek and it starts glowing. “The best thing about these iGlow things is that you can get them in different colours to suite your mood. It’s called tube rolling – everyone’s doing it”.

IG: “AWESOME. But how does it attract the hunky young men?
SB: “Well, just take it to the darkest corner of the nightclub. Plug in the iGlow and all the boys are so curious that they come over and start chatting you up”

IG: “AMAZING. Where can I get one?”
SB: “You have to go to a hi-fi dealer. I think it’s quite safe. They won’t sell you any drugs there, but you have to get a $1,000 cable to connect it to your iPod. But don’t worry, the cable is all shiny silver and looks great around your neck. For $2,000 you can get an extra thick one with gold ends and that one is just out of this world!”

IG: “BARGAIN”

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #95 of 454

Quote:
This is not directed at Prog Rock Man, I'm just throwing it out there.......

If If Ivor Tiefenbrun, founder of Linn can fail a blind test between analogue and digital sources, maybe the differences he was trying to detect were undetectable.......

If you listened to two things and couldn't tell them apart wouldn't that tell you something?

If blind testing was the be all and end all, which it isn't, what there wouldn't be is the enormous load of  BS that is floating around.  The better built, nicer cased equipment would sell just as well as it does now, but the sales would be driven by features, build quality and appearance, instead of patent medicine like claims. Equipment that actually sounded different under DTB, would sell on that basis.

USG

Totally agree. I make many recommendations on price, features etc as opposed to SQ.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #96 of 454

Quote:
Dexter -- I think the point many of us have been trying to make is that formal audio DBT's are hard to do properly, very tricky to analyze correctly, and do not often establish general conclusions.

I am mostly talking about the simplest personal blind testing with 'anonymous' switching, perhaps I should have used simply 'blind testing' instead of DBT in the name of the thread. Of course you are right that when you go the formal way of 'proving' something, this would not be enough and models need to be more complex and so on. But heck, for hobby purposes, you don't need to know anything about confidence intervals or regression analysis - just sit in your chair as you usually do when listening to music, and instead of doing the switching yourself when comparing, ask a friend/spouse to help you. If you do not have any mental dysfunctions, this shouldn't cause you any more anxiety than the same comparison with your eyes staring on your shiny cable. It is easy, and even after ~5 times of listening, if you rightly notice the difference each and every time, this puts you MILES ahead of the guy who did the switching by himself. That way you eliminate a bunch of huuuuuge problems, which render your test useless immediately. Do you agree with me on this?

I think I need to make myself clear why I think that it is not OK to censor blind testing discussions in almost entire forum. I saw a guy claiming that this but not that USB cable makes a big difference to sound quality. I asked - was he testing blindly?  - no reference here to methodology, DBT, or whatever. I suggested that if not - then his extraordinary statements are most probably false. What he did was that he immediately used the 'ban card', and simply threw me out of the discussion. For a casual observer, this all situation may seem like this: blind testing is something very wrong because it's even prohibited to talk about it, so perhaps I shouldn't pay attention to that nutcase with his blind testing ideas, and buy myself that magic usb cable.

This is wrong. Very wrong.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #97 of 454
x2. Why should the forum be bias towards unfounded claims and against evidence?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #98 of 454
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #99 of 454
I guess another way to ask the question would be something along the lines of - "how have you made sure that the difference you heard is attributed to actual differences rather than placebo?" Another effective measurement I think, would be to ask the reviewer to relate the degree of difference to something other people can relate to.  For example, the audible difference between a HD650 and K701 is pretty dramatic; between a DT880/250 and DT880/600, less so. Relating the degree of audible difference to something that others can relate to will help put up a frame of reference.

Jack

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #100 of 454
A better question is, why does it matter if the differences are due to placebo effect?  Are you going to tell doctors to stop prescribing sugar pills to patients because the change in wellness is due to a placebo? 

Quote:
I guess another way to ask the question would be something along the lines of - "how have you made sure that the difference you heard is attributed to actual differences rather than placebo?" Another effective measurement I think, would be to ask the reviewer to relate the degree of difference to something other people can relate to.  For example, the audible difference between a HD650 and K701 is pretty dramatic; between a DT880/250 and DT880/600, less so. Relating the degree of audible difference to something that others can relate to will help put up a frame of reference.

Jack

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #101 of 454

Quote:

I am mostly talking about the simplest personal blind testing with 'anonymous' switching, perhaps I should have used simply 'blind testing' instead of DBT in the name of the thread. Of course you are right that when you go the formal way of 'proving' something, this would not be enough and models need to be more complex and so on. But heck, for hobby purposes, you don't need to know anything about confidence intervals or regression analysis - just sit in your chair as you usually do when listening to music, and instead of doing the switching yourself when comparing, ask a friend/spouse to help you. If you do not have any mental dysfunctions, this shouldn't cause you any more anxiety than the same comparison with your eyes staring on your shiny cable. It is easy, and even after ~5 times of listening, if you rightly notice the difference each and every time, this puts you MILES ahead of the guy who did the switching by himself. That way you eliminate a bunch of huuuuuge problems, which render your test useless immediately. Do you agree with me on this?

I think I need to make myself clear why I think that it is not OK to censor blind testing discussions in almost entire forum. I saw a guy claiming that this but not that USB cable makes a big difference to sound quality. I asked - was he testing blindly?  - no reference here to methodology, DBT, or whatever. I suggested that if not - then his extraordinary statements are most probably false. What he did was that he immediately used the 'ban card', and simply threw me out of the discussion. For a casual observer, this all situation may seem like this: blind testing is something very wrong because it's even prohibited to talk about it, so perhaps I shouldn't pay attention to that nutcase with his blind testing ideas, and buy myself that magic usb cable.

This is wrong. Very wrong.

Yes I agree with you.  I agree with 100% of what you wrote.  All well said.  2nd best post ever on Head-Fi ... speaking of which hey, attorney-man, can we too agree: you take the SB and I'll be happy with the IG as my date?

Being serious again -- I agree you should be able to ask anyone (who is comparing two products head-to-head), in any forum, if they did it blind or not.  Offer to pick it up in Sound Science if they like.

And dex, I am really excited that you do personal spouse-help-me blind tests in your own home.  Right as rain, Right on 'Bro, Way to Go, ... well you know what I mean.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #102 of 454

Quote:

The reality is, however, that there is nothing ambiguous, complex or controversial about the fact: If you really hear the difference with your ears, you should hear the difference with the same ears when your eyes are shut (ceteris paribus). If you don't, well, then the difference was not about hearing. It is as simple as that, you don't need to talk about philosophy of science or statistics to realize that.

Thank you for this piece of common sense ! I just quoted it on a french forum in a 135-pages topic that was supposed to be about blind testing, but that have turned into a pseudo-philosophic dialog for 100 pages now...
That's just what I was needing.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #103 of 454

Quote:
My point is simple: You don't want to discuss DBT, you want to shove it down people's throats even though you don't understand it, nor science and scientific method.  As you, and others have this attitude, DBT discussion has been restricted in the forums.

You seem, however, to want to try and make my posts to somehow be about cables, which they are not.  My posts are about science.  Without a proper understanding of science, discussing it even is near pointless.

Quote:
It appears to me that your posts in this thread are an example of a kind of 'smoke-screen' BS that believers of all sorts of magic use to defend their unenviable position in rational discussions. Vague general remarks ('you don't understand science properly' etc), evasion of direct confrontation vis-a-vis the facts relating to subject-matter, and of course, relying on 'endless discussions' argument (which actually become endless because someone tries to defend something magic, where any rational conclusion is impossible by definition) in order to give artificial credence to their position ('teach the controversy!', where there is actually none), at best, or ban, censor or marginalize more critical attitude towards those things, at worst, as we see on Head-fi.

Quote:
Dexter -- I think the point many of us have been trying to make is that formal audio DBT's are hard to do properly, very tricky to analyze correctly, and do not often establish general conclusions. In other words, many published studies have rather limited impact on our hobby and our day-to-day audio decisions.

Please understand that I love DBTs, believe in them, and undersand them well -- I am a statistican with world-class credentials (posted previously).

Most of us would agree with you that a difference you cannot detect blindly does not exist except for placebo.  I highly advocate single-subject blind testing on yourself, getting a friend or spouse to help out.  Buying audio without audition or return privs is just dumb.  When I try something new, I work hard to test it blindly in my own room.  If I don't hear a difference blind, or as blind as I can be (you sometimes have to settle for non-blind A/B'ing, but I try hard to set the bias in favor of "new and shiny" aside), I don't pay the money, unless I buy it for looks etc. as previously discussed.

This is very different from discussions of published DBTs, which were really gumming up several forums, or worse, discussion like this thread -- arguing about DBTs!  So we made Sound Science, a great pun, and we are all happy there.  Head-Fi has not banned DBTs, as many other posters have pointed out, we just said: do it in one forum only.

Just as Tyll is working on better ways to measure headphones, people should be working on better ways to run DBTs. Today's formal DBTs are surely not a panacea -- of course they seem at first to be the only scientific way forward, but on closer, more sophisticated analysis, many flaws (well discussed elsewhere) surface: response bias, forced choice, limited listening time, group effects, small sample sizes, inappropriate pooling of individual results, no adjustment for time and fatigue factors, insufficient alternatives, unrealistic settings, abuse of significance testing, lack of power against small but real non-null alternatives, etc.

Oh fun, another one of _these_!  

So I actually think that Currawong and Wavoman are both right here, and both make good points.  Since everyone here seems to like Wavoman's, I'll just focus on Currawong's.  

Currawong's point, as I take it, is to say that when DBT is introduced, it quickly becomes established as the ultimate, sine-qua-non of judgment about any given item, as if there is a a coherent and universally-agree-upon methodology for conducting DBT. This turns many people off DBT, because as Wavoman states, there isn't.  Now if we want to make small statements like, when testing, you should listen to each blind, or if you can't tell a big difference between items, you should say so, or something else, no one would argue.  But DBT proponents, and many on the Sound Science Forums I've read, even here, go far beyond such commonsense propositions. 

They believe - yes, "believe" is the correct term here - in Science with a capital S.  Science "proves" things, establishes "facts" that are simply no longer disputable.  

Academically speaking, that's just not correct. But even without getting into the dreaded "philosophical discussion", I think most people will recognize that this sort of thing simply does not obtain in daily life.  Science is great - we have much to thank it for.  But the problem I believe Currawong is bringing up is a real and valid one: it's the worship of Science by those who are not themselves scientists, and don't really understand how complicated science actually is.  It's almost never a matter of having some Big Question that we need Science to answer, and then conducting some tests, and then getting The Answer and then no longer needing to discuss anything anymore.   Just think about it, if that was the case, why would scientists disagree?  Why would there be paradigm shifts every couple of decades where everything that was "established knowledge" within a given sub-field has to get thrown out based on a new model?  But perhaps most of all, you're never going to have anything resembling this hagiographic conception of "Science" when it comes to human beings.  Because human beings are INFINITELY more complicated than anything else we've ever encountered.  And real scientists are not like those hollywood or storybook scientists who are these Leonardo Da Vinci generalists who seem to know everything about everything.  Real science only makes progress by dividing everything up into such infinitely tiny spheres of consideration that virtually anything that anyone ever "proves" about anything is almost entirely meaningless in terms of definitively answering any "real world" question, unless and until we put together with tons of other individual "proofs" which by that very fact of addition becomes contestable, such that by the time you build up a grand theory of anything (esp anything human) based on science, it's no longer really "science" at all, but has a large component of "faith" in the sense I believe Currawong was trying to suggest.  (we could also say, guesswork, or inductive logic.)

Economics thinks of itself as a science.  Yeah, right. We've seen how that turned out.  There are tons of "social sciences" like political science, sociology, etc.  Marxism supposedly provides the most scientific and rational account of human socioeconomic development.  It's not exactly universally accepted.  Now even if you're going to throw all of those out, and say, those aren't "real" science, ok, but what about biology?  Neuroscience?  I can't tell you how many ridiculous articles clog up the world's papers every week discussing some new neuroscientific investigation.  The investigations themselves, outside of a contextualizing discussion relating them to human sociology, culture, etc., are almost entirely meaningless, and the scientists themselves are smart enough to know never to make any real claims for them, but since that wouldn't sell papers, we get endless science reporters who tell us how "X is related to Y batch of cells" or "Z chromosome" as if that means anything, and nine times out of 10, you'll find it all traced back to the "amygdala, the primitive center of the brain that is the seat of emotion."  

The only "fact" is, the human animal, for all our insane amount of research, simply gets more and more complex the further in we go, and while it's certainly possible to say a great many things that we weren't able to before, there are precious few answers to any of the big questions that people most want to know about.  How does this related to audio?  Well, one thing is that you've got electrical engineers on one side, who know very well how to build circuits.  But on the other, you don't have anywhere near a perfect understanding of how human hearing works, whether for musical reproduction or just in general.  Because before the 19th century, people thought we got sense data through our eyes or our ears or our hands, and then all of a sudden, everything went haywire, because the 19th century physiologists realized that more than 90% of our sensory perception was actually happening in our brain, which we know practically nothing about.  Any philosophy has been trying to recover ever since.

As I said before to Crazy Carl in the Sparrow thread, I've read a lot of good reviews on this site where the reviewer will stress that the differences between A and B are incredibly, incredibly minor.  Now if someone chooses to ignore that and go ahead and buy the more expensive one, that's their own fault.  I think the biggest problem on the forum is actually reviewers having the moral hazard wavoman talked about, and I don't know an easy way to deal with that.

But you're never going to convince people that DBT should be the only legitimate way of analyzing gear simply by repeating the words "fact," "science," "rational," etc., over and over and using all caps.  Because, even if they're not egotistical maniacs who have $100k of gear and need to justify their own purchases, and even if they're not making money off of the products you're questioning, just as regular human beings they're smart enough to know that just because you listen to A and listen to B and can't immediately discern a difference between them doesn't mean there isn't a difference to be found.  To many people, all coffee and all wine taste the same.  They learn there are differences only after much training and time.  And it's much easier to say, well look, you can save a lot of money by _not learning_ those differences!

As I think ProgRockMan stated earlier, DBT ultimately proves _far too much_ because it quickly leads to Crazy Carl's position that everything basically sounds the same.  Which I think is true - everything does, at some level of generalization, sound _basically_ the same.  And listening to a great song with friends out of a crappy boom box or an old car stereo while having an amazing time is going to "sound" great.  Even though the SQ, in some abstract sense, would be incredibly poor.  

I think the better reviews around head-fi already make use of blind testing, but I think it would be difficult to chide them for not doing it in an absolutely standardized way, since there's no accepted standard by which it would be done.  And given our present understanding of the human brain and thus the human sensory system, I doubt there could be.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #104 of 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It appears to me that your posts in this thread are an example of a kind of 'smoke-screen' BS that believers of all sorts of magic use to defend their unenviable position in rational discussions. 

Because you are reading into my words exactly what you want, instead of paying attention to what I say.  I could equally say that your posts are exactly the kind of behaviour that people use to justify making gross generalisations from information, not just about DBT or tests. For example:

Quote:
 If you really hear the difference with your ears, you should hear the difference with the same ears when your eyes are shut (ceteris paribus). If you don't, well, then the difference was not about hearing. It is as simple as that, you don't need to talk about philosophy of science or statistics to realize that.

This is exactly the kind of gross generalisation I have been talking about.  

Quote:
 I saw a guy claiming that this but not that USB cable makes a big difference to sound quality. I asked - was he testing blindly?  - no reference here to methodology, DBT, or whatever.

I saw a guy talking about how DBT was censored and how he should be justified in talking about it everywhere on Head-fi, but when I asked him about whether he understood about scientific experiments he just made a generalisation that a person should be able to hear something equally if sighted or blind, no reference to methodology. 
tongue.gif

The correct theory should be, IMO: If you are capable of hearing a measured difference in music when your hearing is tested, then you should be able to hear that same difference in that music if it is caused by changing a set of cables with an equally measured difference.  Maybe that's too obvious, but then, shouldn't it be?  It doesn't go against what you're arguing, nor what I am.  Think about it.

Now, there's a guy who is interested in testing cables, as Nick_charles did before, and is willing to buy them.  My question for you is: Do you want to make yourself useful and possibly learn stuff in the process or do you want to just continue whining and crying that you can't shove your beliefs down people's throats on the forums?  And before you have another go, I'm actually thinking of starting a thread with ideas for a DBT that would eliminate some of the flaws I've seen in DBT experiments and have been thinking of doing DBTs on myself, to test my own capabilities, because, I want to know, rather than just flog some or other belief system to satisfy my ego.  However, you are so blind-sided by your own obsession with this, you refuse to acknowledge anything I say, only attempt to make out my posts to be clearly what they are not.  Again, unless you are a: interested in finding the truth (not proving a point) and b: understand science properly, then you are just doing everyone a disservice.  If you can change these two things, then you can actually use your DBT obsession productively, for everyone's benefit.  I'd like to see this happen.  
smile.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #105 of 454
How do blind testers deal with bias?
I imagined a fictional experience, tell me if it is possible or if it already took place.

Let's say we are testing cable A vs cable B using a second person to do the switch.
The listener doesnt know which cable he listens to.

Yet, he knows the only possible change is between the cables, but he's really skeptic about cable difference.
During the test he does hear any difference, as expected.

Now, it is revealed to him that there never was a cable change but he was listening to two different tracks with a +3 dB bass boost in the second, the average SPL was matched though.
The tester now knows what the difference between A and B, he manages an ABX with a great level of confidence. He was just biased against hearing difference ion the first test.

Has this situation ever occurred? Obviously there is still a bias in DBT or single blind testing if the testing devices are known to the listener.
Removing that information and say were are testing system A vs B without any info on what A or B is is the obvious solution, yet this is quite difficult to set up even in academic testing, and almost impossible in a domestic blind test.

Any opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back