What is the ideal headphone for reentry into audiophilia?
Nov 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
A little over a year ago, I sold off my setup of a Little Dot Mk3 and Grado HF-2. Before that, I've had numerous headphones and even had the pleasure of owning an older pair of Stax. In addition, I've been to a few meets in my area and have heard many grand setups. I realize now that I dearly miss my headphone setup. I miss hearing a song and having chills roll down my spine. 

I currently have a pair of M50's (which I intend on selling because they are slightly bass heavy and they lack articulation across the spectrum) and will be receiving an O2 amp shortly. I retained my original DAC, a Gamma1. So I am in the market of headphone to pair with my setup. Currently, I would like to set my budget to $200 because I know that it gets you a lot of headphone, as long as you have an adequate source and amp (which I believe the O2 is for my purposes, for the moment at least). I am in between the DT800 (600ohm) and the new K612 but I am open to suggestions. I don't really have a preference on the sound but I want to enjoy it and I want to be impressed again. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 10
I would have suggested SR225i, but you've already tried them and it seems as if you're looking for something new. Have you tried a planar magnetic? I can definitely recommend Fostex, but you'll have to make at least some internal modifications yourself or buy a modded pair. (ZMF is reasonably priced; I confess the reviews have made me curious.)

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 10
A used lower-end Stax in the SR-5/Gold range and some old speaker amp to run them. Alternatively, a nice used ortho in the Yamaha HP-1 range or better - a small-ish mod and they should articulate chillingly across the spectrum.

Can't quite recommend the HD 600 for audiophilia - seem a bit grainy to me.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I liked the SR-225i but I found the soundstage too narrow and the sound to be too forward. The only Grado I've really liked was the HF-2 (paired with tubes). I like the HD600 but I have yet to find one for a reasonable price around here or elsewhere. The ZMF seems like it might be a good choice, but I'm not sure. 

Anybody have experience with the K612 or DT880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back