What is the first LP/CD you bought with your own $
Mar 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #46 of 117
The first music I ever owned was a couple tapes made for me by my friend.

Queen's Greatest Hits.
AC/DC Back in Black.

First CD I ever bought was Soundgarden's Superunknown.

The first LP I bought (much later) was Miles Davis' Porgy and Bess.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #47 of 117
first record bought -- a 45 rpm: Terry Jack, "Seasons in the Sun" (approximately ten)

first album bought -- Eagles, "Greatest Hits 1971-1975" (approximately 13)

first album to every own -- Partridge Family (I was probably around eight, but still very embarassing)

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #48 of 117
First Single ( 45 ) - Heart of Glass - Blondie

First Album ( LP ) - Grease - The soundtrack ( VERY SAD )

First CD - The Who - Quadropenia ( Loved this on Vinyl and had to make it my first Buy and I still love it Know !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #51 of 117
Some great reply's.....as earlier stated, the feeling you got was one of being an adult for the first time...at least for me it was. Keep 'em coming
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #52 of 117
Errol Garner, Concert by the Sea.

I grew up in a small fishing and tourist town, Buzzards Bay, MA, and when I was a sophmore in H.S, some friends and I hitched to Newport, R.I for the jazz festival. Slept on the beach at night, shared food with people we met, and had a grand old time (this was before hippies, so it was just new friends making nice).

Saw some great acts - Brubeck, Miles, Dizzy, etc, but when I got back home, the only record in the store was Errol's, so I spent all my cash ($3.99), and bought it. I love it to this day.

One thing, though - I thought the "sea" in the title was Narraganset Bay/Atlantic Ocean where Newport is. Turns out it was Carmel, CA on the Pacific. An early, but often repeated illusion ...

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #53 of 117
Very first album on cassette: Snow - Informer.
- please don't laugh

Very first CD: I bougt 4 - Mozart - Greatest Hits (2 CD set) and Big Band Hits (2 CD Set)

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #54 of 117
Okay there's a few first's here

1. 1st 45 was either Blondie single "Call Me'' or Survivor "Eye of The Tiger" - this was before I owned a stereo
2. 1st LP was either Judas Priest "Turbo" or Metallica "Ride The Lightning" - this was when I got a stereo a Sanyo combo turntable, cassette, am/fm tuner.
3. 1st CD purchased was Living Colour "Vivid" - this was prior to actually owning a cd player. Shortly after this I would purchase an Onkyo receiver, Aiwa single disc cd with Design Acoustic PS6 speakers...

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #55 of 117
Most probably the Van Halen "1984" LP, which I bought in..... 1984

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #56 of 117
First LP - Sign o' the times and Around the World in a Day both by Prince. I bought both at the same time.

First cassette - Cooleyhighharmony by Boyz II Men

First CD - Crazysexycool by TLC

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #57 of 117
I am the youngest of 6, and my older sibs had a lot of music around, so I didn't buy much at a young age. Still, I am pretty sure that the first purchase I made for myself was in 1974 at age 11. It was a 45 of Terry Jacks, Seasons in the Sun. Nice.

tj_front.jpg
200px-SEASONS_IN_THE_SUN.jpg

Perhaps the coolest part of this record purchase (given that I am competing for youthful coolness with very cool people like markl and Jahn
eek.gif
) was the B-side Put the Bone In. After the sappy hit single, that song would make most moms snap that vinyl in two (although mine survived!). Here are the tasty lyrics, although all I remember is "Put the bone in she yelled out once more" being sung way too often.
blink.gif

Put the bone in
She yelled at the store
'Cause my doggie's been hit by a car
And I do want to bring him home something
Put the bone in
She yelled out once more
Because the meat from the pork is so sweet
And the bone from the pork give to me
Put the bone in she begged him
As she paced across the floor
Put the bone in she yelled out once more

Put the bone in
She yelled at the store
Cause my doggie's been hit by a car
And I do want to bring him home something
Put the bone in
She yelled out once more ...

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #58 of 117
My first music buying was an album by a scottish bubblegum group called Rosetta Stone - on cassette - when I was in 5th grade. Back then Ian Mitchell, the band leader, was god for all I care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back