what is the best sounding discman (or portable cd player)
Sep 25, 2003 at 10:26 AM Post #16 of 31
LOL, somewhere in the early 90s ('90-'92, the jury's still out when exactly
wink.gif
), quality of PCDPs begann to decline, and took a nose dive later. The 311 is considered by some to be right at the top. In any case, if it's in reasonable condition, you should be able to sell your piece of crap for more than the price of a new EJ2000...

Sep 25, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by picklgreen
Ok so I own a D-311 (back in those days who didn't?) You mean to tell me the D-EJ2000 isn't better sounding than that peice of "crap"???

lol!

We are talking relatively of course...

Sure, there is no way that the 311 (or any other Discman) can sound as good as decent quality full sized gear, but - for out on the road (which the D311 can just about manage) i'd like to know of anything that sounds better....

...Could be a new phase of PCDP buying coming on
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by picklgreen
Ok so I own a D-311 (back in those days who didn't?) You mean to tell me the D-EJ2000 isn't better sounding than that peice of "crap"???

Though the non-Euro D-EJ2000 is better sounding than what Sony had produced since the advent of their G-Protection anti-skip system back in 1999, it still doesn't sound any better than what they've produced 10 years ago. Furthermore, most current-model PCDPs actually sound worse than a mediocre model from 10 years ago! You see, the reliance of compressed anti-skip that cannot be defeated at all, combined with the desire for extra-long battery life, extra-low cost, and extra-slim design - all contribute to this deterioration in sound quality. Sure, 50+ hours of battery life on just two internal 1350mAH NiMH rechargeables is attractive - but then, they've cut corners on their headphone outs (they can barely drive even the stock freebie 'phones that came with them!
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Combine the battery life with the tendency to pile on more bells and whistles in a smaller player, and even the line out performance will usually suffer, as well.

Hope this explains the downfall of PCDPs,
Eagle_Driver

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Sure, there is no way that the 311 (or any other Discman) can sound as good as decent quality full sized gear, but - for out on the road (which the D311 can just about manage) i'd like to know of anything that sounds better....

I've never heard the D-311 and am curious how it compares to D-303 (my favorite of the Sony's I've heard). The best sound I've heard from a pcdp so far is the Denon DCP-150.

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by was ist los?
I just scored a D-111 off ebay!

Cool
smily_headphones1.gif

The 111 certainly shares a lot of the lifeblood of the D311... My only criticisms against it are that the soundstage is a little closed in, and that the bass can be (on occasion, with the 'wrong' kind of music) a little boomy - but don't let those criticisms put you off.. all in all its a pretty classy unit
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 31
Hi,
I'll chime in here a little. Based on my experience w/ the D-465, it is a fine Discman w/ an excellent built quality. It has many qualities of the D-E905 but falls a bit short. In general, D-465 is a bright sounding PCDP with very good midrange. The bass line is about the same as my D-E905, just adequate, and not as punchy as the D-777. I rate the D-E905 a notch higher in term of headphone out.

The line out/optical output on the D465 is good, but not excellent like the D-R905. On my portable Meta42 setup, the D-465 sounds comparable to my Panasonic SL-S651C, and just a notch behind the D-777. I still rate my D-E905 as having better line out and headphone out performacne than the mentioned unit. But the active user might prefer the 20sec ESP of the D-465. Size wise the D-467 is almost twice as thick to the thickness of D-777, D-311, and D-E905.

At the top of my Discman world, I vote for D-303, D-311, and D-515. The D-303 definitely has the best line out of any Sony discmans period. The D-303's line out is simply packed w/ details, soundstage, bass notes, and treble energy of full sized unit. "Yes" the full sized player is a bit better, but believe me you won't miss much from the full sized player with the D-303.

On the headphone out, D-311 and D-515 are at the top in my book, both exhibits similar traits in sound quality. I found that the D-311 is slightly better, having slightly warmer sound and smoother frequency throught out. Both D-311 features DSP settings (3 step DDS, and Bassboost), which also works in the line out mode. D-515 is the fisrt Discman to have 3 sec ESP.

Purk

Oct 3, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 31
Just got the D-111 today. It's a pretty good all around player, lacks a little with the bass boost off, but way too bassy with it on, for me. In the brief time i listened to it, nothing really caught me. Soundstages is pretty good, albeit better than an unmodded D-25S, but it lacks the punch of the D-25S imo. I like it, but i am considering selling as i have no use for it, i thought it would be less sensitive to hits than a D-25S or D-555.

Oct 4, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #24 of 31
lol was ist los - how contradictory are our opinions?

it could be because you've spent more time with the D25S - I personally don't favour it very much, it sounds a little scratchy, a little peaky... not really my thing... whereas the D111, give it some time, and its good qualities come out...

I have to say though, if you think the 111 is bass light, you definetly wouldn't like the D311 - that is even more, what I would call 'neutral' - hence my boomy reference up above...

Oct 4, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 31
Hrm, maybe i should wait a while before deciding whether or not to sell, i want to get a transport and build a DAC.
Well Duncan, i don't think your D-25S is the same as mine, unless it has Black Gates caps and an AD8620.

Oct 4, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Well Duncan, i don't think your D-25S is the same as mine, unless it has Black Gates caps and an AD8620.

Ahh... gotcha - lol, you didn't say that initially - but I understand why now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Hrm, maybe i should wait a while before deciding whether or not to sell, i want to get a transport and build a DAC.

Where did you put that AD8620? The servo control?

Oct 4, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #28 of 31
I had a pleasure of listening to Mekanoplatic's D-25S. His D-25S was mod w/ new caps, and dual dacs. I was very impressive by it, and the line out performance was on par to my D-303. I slightly prefer my D-303's line out to it. I'm not quite sure if he changed the op-amp or not. It was almost 8 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back