what is the best sounding discman (or portable cd player)
Sep 23, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 31
Did you have a read of Duncan's cool Discman over the ages review? Doesn't have the EJ2000, but it's got the EJ1000

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 31
I guess if you search around older threads here you'll find this question discussed at length over and over. And like Patrick says, Duncan's review is a good place to start. The EJ1000 is generally considered quite abysmal, at least from the headphone out, while some recent posts suggest that the EJ2000 may be not that bad at all for a modern...

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 31
I keep promising to update that review, but haven't got around to it in a while
redface.gif

I've made three additions, i've typed up all of the headphone reviews, and just need to do the line out reviews this weekend, and all things considered it'll be up, with the D11, D111 and D465 sitting in their rightful places...

...All three are a shock, probably biggest shock is the D11 - but, still haven't tried those line outs...................

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 31
Call me crazy, but I think that you could get equal or better performance from a $20 1997 Sony D-465. Skip protection and all.

Edit: Oops - Duncan slipped a reply in there just before mine --- I am speaking of the D-465 over the EJ2000....just wanted to clear that up...

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by clandestine
Call me crazy, but I think that you could get equal or better performance from a $20 1997 Sony D-465. Skip protection and all.

Okay... I'll give you a sneak preview
wink.gif

For $20 the 465 would be an absolute steal - great (relatively speaking) 20 second shock protection (better than the D-E905
wink.gif
) and a sound from the headphone out that is cleaner than that of the E905 (from memory, and another head-fi members opinions)... but ultimately doesn't have the resolution, or midrange warmth of the 1992 classics...

Better than the D777 though to my ears... although, as said just up above, i've yet to test out the line out, but others here have said that this is this units weak point...

...Time will tell
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 31
D555...

For pure audio listening, then - yes, the D555 does rank quite highly in my opinion also, but - as we've discussed before, if you're inclined to be a bit of a bass-head, then its probably not such a hot proposition...

In that case, also the D11 fails quite badly... as does the D465 - to be honest, I think if you're really into megabass or whatever, then the D111 is probably your best bet as it sounds clean all the way up the volume dial, even with megabass switched on...

...although I personally don't use megabass - but, plenty of people do
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 31
Any pics of the D465, Duncan?

Sep 24, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by picklgreen
Im wondering what your is a great sounding portable cd player.

I think the D-311, D-777 and D-303 are all really good.

Sep 24, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 31
Paul...

You really need to get your hands on one of these D111s... They appear to be amazingly adept at almost anything thrown at them... and the bass boost - whilst generally I wouldn't condone such attrocity - it really is pretty damned good - so far, i'd consider it to be the best bass boost i've heard on any player... not only does it add the customary weight, but also adds texture - something i've not heard before...

After my last meet with Bangraman, i'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that he is right, that the D111 is more like the D311 than the D211... I'm guessing that the same audio engineer designed both the 111 and 311, whilst another person designed the 211... the 211 really doesn't fit in as part of the family (although I still think its great - just in a different way to the other two)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back