What is the best possible sound quality for around $200 ?
Jan 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 22
Jan 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 22
Ok , I have finally ordered the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm from Hifi-Headphones.co.uk.They were only £139 ($215) including Fed Ex or Royal mail express delivery 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 22
I suspect that you're going to love them. Make sure to report back on this thread to let us know what you think! Oh, and give them some time to "break in" before passing judgment. This can be a matter of you getting acclimated to a new sound as much as the drivers physically limbering up through use. I can't even remember what my Pro-80's sounded like brand new, (must have been pretty good, because I kept them) but 5 years later the sound is fantastic.

Also, and I hope this was mentioned on the site, I'm pretty sure that the Pro 250 (unlike the Pro-80 and Premium models) comes with a coiled cord, which some people like and some don't. I prefer the straight one. Also, remember if it clamps too tightly on your head, you can always lightly bend the headband out to loosen it up. Partly through use and partly through manual adjustment, mine seem quite a bit looser than stock but extremely comfortable.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 22
Generally, a 250-ohm headphone is going to benefit greatly from (if not require) an amp. It's supposed to "tighten up" the bass, especially in the higher-impedance phones. The 32's and 80's are friendlier plugged straight into the headphone port. Do plenty of research before purchasing an amp-- there's a lot of bad information and overpriced/overhyped products.

Some people claim that tube amps, which have a reputation for "warming up" the sound (in part, boosting the midrange a bit) pair really well with Beyers, but I've never tried any of them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back