What is the best possible sound quality for around $200 ?
Jan 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

yrcrazy

New Head-Fier
Hey , I have been looking at headphones on a budget of about £150 (Just over 200 dollars).I was wondering what the best sounding headphones were for that price.

I have been particularly interested by the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO after reading Internet reviews.I have heard they are some of the highest quality headphones for my budget and from a very good reputable German company

I have also been interested in the V Moda Crossfade LP2 , however , from what I have read , these suffer from 'Beats Syndrome' , not being as high quality sounding as they look and being overpriced.I really would not want this.They are however supposed to be very durable  , which is a big positive.

Please give good suggestions.

Note : I have a preference for over ear.I listen to a mixture of music , I would like clear deep bass , but I do not want it to overpower other things.I would like them to be comfortable and not hut my head.They have to be at least somewhat portable , but I am willing to compromise a bit.I do not really want wireless headphones.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 22
ahhhhhh , decisions 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 22
Buy the DT990's if you want to be able to hear what's going on around you, and the DT770 Pro-80's if you don't. I'm a mad evangelist for the 770's Pro's, having owned a pair for 5 years and truly feeling that not only are they vastly underrate, but that there's nothing that can touch them in their price range. No, they aren't as "flat" as some phones (such as the DT880's for that matter) but they have a surprisingly big soundstage for being a closed design, fun detailed treble, and insanely deep (not boomy, just really, really teeth-rattlingly deep) bass. Plus, comfort on all of the 770's is supreme, and if the Pro's are too tight (they're supposed to be tighter than the Premium models) you can just bend the headband out until they fit comfortably. They have a sturdy steel band in the headphones, so you won't hurt them and you can always bend them back if you go too far. The earcups are very deep so the speaker grille won't put any pressure on your ear, and the cup is wide enough that it should fit around your ears with room to spare.

I should mention that for the past 2 years, I've worked a desk job where I listen to music, TV shows and audiobooks about 7 hours/day 5 days/week with my DT770's. I'm very, very familiar with these headphones.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Buy the DT990's if you want to be able to hear what's going on around you, and the DT770 Pro-80's if you don't. I'm a mad evangelist for the 770's Pro's, having owned a pair for 5 years and truly feeling that not only are they vastly underrate, but that there's nothing that can touch them in their price range. No, they aren't as "flat" as some phones (such as the DT880's for that matter) but they have a surprisingly big soundstage for being a closed design, fun detailed treble, and insanely deep (not boomy, just really, really teeth-rattlingly deep) bass. Plus, comfort on all of the 770's is supreme, and if the Pro's are too tight (they're supposed to be tighter than the Premium models) you can just bend the headband out until they fit comfortably. They have a sturdy steel band in the headphones, so you won't hurt them and you can always bend them back if you go too far. The earcups are very deep so the speaker grille won't put any pressure on your ear, and the cup is wide enough that it should fit around your ears with room to spare.

I should mention that for the past 2 years, I've worked a desk job where I listen to music, TV shows and audiobooks about 7 hours/day 5 days/week with my DT770's. I'm very, very familiar with these headphones.

Will now definitely consider DT770's , the 250 ohm version is the same price online as the DT990's. I guess its between those two , unless I get some audiotechnicas.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 22
I can't speak for the 250's. I think the 80's are spectacular, plus they're cheaper and known for their amazingly deep bass. Mine sound great straight out of the headphone port of my home and work computers (Mac Pro and iMac) but I hear that the 250's aren't terribly hard to drive either.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 22
What is the best possible sound quality for around $200 ?

Modded T50RPs and an O2 amp can give world class sound for around $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back