what is the best portable music player to have?
Aug 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #347 of 383
Same for me, though I spent $40 on a sansa clip+ that measures better than the pono! Imagine how my mood is every day :)

Since you stated that, I went and look at the Pono measurements in the Stereophile review. It is surprising to see the roll off in the frequency response for 44.1 sampling rate audio:

It's obviously designed to "cheat" and make you think that high res audio provides more detail so you'll buy it from them. LOL

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #348 of 383
Since you stated that, I went and look at the Pono measurements in the Stereophile review. It is surprising to see the roll off in the frequency response for 44.1 sampling rate audio:

It's obviously designed to "cheat" and make you think that high res audio provides more detail so you'll buy it from them. LOL

Post that in the pono thread and you will get banned or killed lol. Don't forget the 4ohm output impedance.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #349 of 383
Post that in the pono thread and you will get banned or killed lol. Don't forget the 4ohm output impedance.

No way. I posted it a thread in the sound science forum for discussion. :D

As for the output impedance, that's poor design. But the frequency response roll off? Impossible for me to believe that's not intentionally deceptive.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #351 of 383
Having a heavy and expensive player with a large battery that gets short battery life is supposed to make you think the sound quality is superb. The Sandisk Clip Sport gets something like 4 times the battery life of the Pono player(okay, the Clip Sport is measure playing mp3 files, and Pono is likely measured playing lossless), yet the Pono player battery capacity is 13.4 times that of the Clip Sport. So the Pono player seems to eat power at around 50 times the rate of the Sandisk Clip Sport. I could understand up to around 5 times the power consumption, however around 50 times seems hard to understand.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #352 of 383
It takes twice the power with an amp just to achieve +3 db increase in volume output. Double the power need again to only get a total of +6 db volume increase. That's not as much as you might think, since it is generally cited that +10db is a doubling in perceived volume . So a more powerful player will definitely consume more battery if someone takes advantage of the additional power.

Then audio files with higher sampling rates and bit rates are likely to take more processing power than the same music in standard audio with 44.1/16.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #353 of 383
It takes twice the power with an amp just to achieve +3 db increase in volume output. Double the power need again to only get a total of +6 db volume increase. That's not as much as you might think, since it is generally cited that +10db is a doubling in perceived volume . So a more powerful player will definitely consume more battery if someone takes advantage of the additional power.

Then audio files with higher sampling rates and bit rates are likely to take more processing power than the same music in standard audio with 44.1/16.

if someone doesn't need the high power output though, why can't these players do a better job of conserving power?

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #354 of 383
if someone doesn't need the high power output though, why can't these players do a better job of conserving power?

Do they not? I don't know.

At what power output is that estimate rating you have? Is the Pono estimate with running 44.1/16 bit audio or high res files? What power was it putting out? Is that with the screen on all the time, because certainly the Pono screen will suck more power than the Sansa. Right now your comparison is a bit like saying that car A gets 30 mpg, and car B gets 20 mpg, but you don't know at what speeds they were tested at, whether it was stop and go traffice, if the driving was all flat (not going up hills), etc. Don't really have enough information to be drawing conclusions.

BTW: this is why should also never rely on what user says they get for their battery life out of their DAP. People's usage is quite different.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #355 of 383
I just listen a few minutes, then drop the dap by mistake in what I see as a subconscious attempt to kill myself by pulling my brains out with one of the earpieces. but I couldn't tell how it "impacts" the battery life ^_^

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #356 of 383
The pono teardown video claims it should be easy to put a better battery in it should you want to purchase one in the future.

I think the triangle shape has as much to do with the standard shaped and easily replaced battery as it does the independent circuit designs.

As far as I know no one has bothered to do this upgrade yet.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #357 of 383
The pono teardown video claims it should be easy to put a better battery in it should you want to purchase one in the future.

I think the triangle shape has as much to do with the standard shaped and easily replaced battery as it does the independent circuit designs.

As far as I know no one has bothered to do this upgrade yet.

Hmmm....I've owned plenty of phones where the battery was easy to replace, and they are not the triangle design. Seems like rationalization by marketers to support a design choice, if you ask me.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #358 of 383
"seems like marketing" ? - this was just the opinion of the guy that did the teardown. he said it's a standard sized battery and a simple swap out with basic plastic clips, not glued in place or otherwise difficult to swap without damage, therefore making it an easy upgrade in the future.

phone batteries are not standard at all these days, they are specially designed for that particular model of phone and are many are custom made for the manufacturer. 

It's my opinion that the shape was partly for the battery staying low cost, and partly for the allowance of individual circuit boards for analog and digital with various doohickies sticking out.

if it was cheap and easy to make good amplifiers 3mm thick everyone would do it.  but you need the space, at least an inch or so to mount your components and keep your power clean and quiet.

remember - most the other DAP's use integrated circuits and don't feature dual outputs switchable to line and balanced.  that lets them keep the size down and the battery life up.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #359 of 383
Ok, I sell electronics, like I pads and samsung, but that's not my story, the story is that I was ready to spend money to buy ak, or any top Noth player, this is about two tablets , now I kept them for me over all ipods and ipod touch, even though for the gym, the ipod touch 4g, it's awesome, it sounds great, if you transfer hi quality audio, or go to podcast on I tunes which is free , and go to podcast music, I was shocked to see so much free music of all genres, amazing, what makes the wow factor is the headphones I use sony xb50 with wide bore eartips, reduces aggressive bass and balances the whole spectrum, they are great also, now the macaw gt100s, are awesome, alot of people have not heard of them, they have the wow factor with their new reversed speaker, I'm serious to say in sound they are worth about 600 buck, plus they are made of injection molded steel ,just look into them. Now since I pads are ok I never bother with note tablets , what a mistake, the note 10.1 will beat any amp dac I've heard, so far, and that's with an amp,dac, but it has so much power, well you can imagine the sick is of 5 galaxy note3 phones, but for the house it's excellent, and if using a back pack with a case ,similar to hybrid cases for phones , it's un destructible, the same for the 8 inch note tablet, with my note phone to get the most out of my triple fis 10,I need a fiio amp, any of them, I use the 18, 17 or 7, but I'm ordering the e12, my buddy has the e12 staked with the kunlun, you can stack both or all three together, but it's nice to have the phone in my case and the other two amps together in same pocket with cables long enough, so I can answer calls or surf the web or take care of my business, now by having the note 8.0, while on the train or bus, it's heave, now if stacked with the 17 or 7, or any good amp that I have , it's unbelievable, also have to get screen protector, so me tablet cases Come with it, as I write this I'm using my audiotechnica athm50, and its really nice, at full volume, to peak a 5 percent an amp dac is needed,now I did say the ipod touch is great and I want a small player, and I'll also keep one for me to have another , rig, but if cowon has wifi, it's better,like sony's portables, now I'm gonna get the xduoox3, highly recomend by everyone, specially twister6, it has been compare to x5, dx50,dx90, ipods can't compete they don't have flacs, also note tablets play every format and if not the beauty is download it, honestly the note tablets and phone , have the best quality, they are the flagship, better processor , dac and amp, and nothing can compete withe speed of the of the screen and fuctions, and I mean nothing, I guess, the first generation iPad with 64gb for movies and music also sounds awesome, but you must remember when the first iPad came out how much it cost, tablets are great for the car, to connect via, bluetooth or auxiliary cable, and if you use a line out and amp dac before connecting ,omg, your car system will sound like a 7.1 home theater, the note is excellent and the iPad comes second, the only thing I prefer to iPad is that with android you so much free, almost everything, all games ,music, and you can go on Internet torrent and get millions of high quality music for free.and I mean mean free.with ipods and itune, you do get a large selection of music in high quality, from music ipods, and they do sound really nice,I concentrate on what sounds good to me, some 320kbps sounds good while others sounds really bad so to me it's fun looking for them and saving them, for instance, I downloaded, tube mate and the required mp3 converter, this is made to download load all videos in the highest quality possible, you tube videos are not the best, but I have to be honest, I've downloaded regular cds, and downloaded videos on you tube, but I select, flac and hd, aac,and some other, what this converter does is amazing, cafe lounge music it's amazing, nora, jones, Michael bubble, and that song your always on my mind by Benny chawes, my notes, both of them ,actually all three of them including my phone, galaxy by Samsung has done so good, the sound signature is very close to my x5, this is my preferred signature, but since I love audio, I'll listen to it all if it's nice I can appreciate nice stuff, so a couple of things just to break, being bored , maybe dx50,dx90,dx100 ordx80, or something else, I like the sony player, up to 128 or 64, and get a little collection of earbuds, just to enjoy different sounds, lz a2, sony xba a3, im50 or im70, om audio in earner peace,macaw rt10, sony xb90,7550 or 800,asg 2.5, and a colection of Asian earbuds very cheap, they should last a life time if taken care of them, and if you switch them up like I do, the same applies,also a nice collection, of headphone, they have so many at cheap prices and they sound really nice , also get a few expensive one to cherish their sound

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #360 of 383
Dude, I once posted a text like that and got a reply which asked me to give a little more structure to that "wall of text"
emoticon-0107-sweating.gif
. I forward that message to you.
No offense, just make it a bit easier for everyone to read as you seem to have an interesting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back