what is the best portable music player to have?
Aug 2, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #316 of 383
I find that very few people on the street/airports/train stations/wherever care much about players and gear bling. Even if they did, I ain't swayed to buy gear for the looks or to impress anyone. Warped herd psychology, for some people.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #317 of 383
  I find that very few people on the street/airports/train stations/wherever care much about players and gear bling. Even if they did, I ain't swayed to buy gear for the looks or to impress anyone. Warped herd psychology, for some people.

And yet many on headfi proclaim that "My Amp is bigger than your Amp." What do you call that? Amp Envy.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #318 of 383

And if you don't have an Apple product or beats 99% of the people won't know what you have anyway, and less know AK products.

I walk around with a Fiio X3 or X5  and I haven't met anyone who knew what it was or even heard of Fiio.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #319 of 383
  And yet many on headfi proclaim that "My Amp is bigger than your Amp." What do you call that? Amp Envy.

Macho-ism. But if they have miniature models of their amps on their keychains, that's a new one.
basshead.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #320 of 383
  And if you don't have an Apple product or beats 99% of the people won't know what you have anyway, and less know AK products.

I walk around with a Fiio X3 or X5  and I haven't met anyone who knew what it was or even heard of Fiio.

And you won't be a target of a mugging.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #321 of 383
Quote:

Quote:
  And you won't be a target of a mugging.

Walk softly, and carry a Bryston remote:

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/112-bryston-bp26-da-preamplifier-and-mps2-power-supply

(scroll down for the pic of the remote run over by a car -- it survived!).

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #322 of 383

Walk softly, and carry a Bryston remote:

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/112-bryston-bp26-da-preamplifier-and-mps2-power-supply

(scroll down for the pic of the remote run over by a car -- it survived!).

So you walk the streets carrying a desktop DAC? At least the remote makes it more convenient. 
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #328 of 383
  You sure you're not having an AK inspired relapse? You do realize that most audiophiles require some reality orientation.

Nope. But I figured an AK-based quip would highly suit a Yank-based forum like HF, what with the gun-culture down there.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #329 of 383
  our verbose friend, @castleofargh, has been quiet lately.

I wonder whether he got his prize....

nope, no prize for me, not even a job as general of some random country.  but I wrote a book on the hd650's topic so there is still hope.
biggrin.gif

I wasting most of my night setting up some useless measurement methods. but I lack most things to do it. like I have some resistors to simulate a load for a DAP and never thought about how I would put them in the loop until 2hours ago... I don't even have a soldering station to make the proper connections,  so I tried rolling a paperclip around some mini jack plug to close the circuit, Mc Gyver style, half thinking that I might end up blowing something up with my stupid ideas.
the hilarious part is that I seem to end up with measurements pretty close to what I find on the web for the same DAP(luck of the beginner Mc Gyver). so now I'm wondering if I should start making paperclip cables and sell them for 500$. I could use macaroni for insulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back