what is the best portable music player to have?
Jul 31, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #286 of 383
  if I ask a friend to register an account on headfi with the nickname "science", would that get currawong to ban bookman and delete his messages for pissing all over science repeatedly? 

just trying to find a better use for the PC police. it's the only reason why agent smith materializes in sound science nowadays.

Come on now, hearing other than frequency and hearing with your hair, that is great stuff !
Be open to new aspects of science, it doesn't always have to be sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #288 of 383
  Come on now, hearing other than frequency and hearing with your hair, that is great stuff !
Be open to new aspects of science, it doesn't always have to be sound
biggrin.gif

as many would suspect, my hatred is nothing more than disguised jealousy. I wish I could hear the dither ruining soundstage, all the added details of 24/96, and last but certainly not least, I'm hair challenged ^_^.  my avatar could be a picture on my passport

if only I could too, be a superhuman(in my head).

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #289 of 383
Getting back to the OP topic......

For me, the best porty player I still use is an iPod Classic 160GB (7G) and a 5.5G (80GB). They sound better than my Fiio X3. Driving IEMs.

cheers

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #290 of 383

popcorn.gif

As a neurophysiologist, I just can't get enough entertainment here.
Who needs Netflix?

I heard that Netflix is going to produce their own series about Audiophiles with mental issues. The first/pilot episode will be, "I can hear with my hair."

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #296 of 383
Most people failed this audio test.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/09/412271433/audio-quality-quiz-results-you-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #298 of 383
... You can tell the difference between a guitar, a piano, a violin, and a synthesizer playing the same note right?  Even if you cut off the beginning and end of the note (where lots of the clues are) most of us can still tell.

Why is that?  It's the same frequency.  I think you know. It's called timbre and there's no measuring it. There's no formula and it doesn't easily show itself on a waveform. 

The timbre is the sum of the fundamental note and its generated harmonics, taking into account their relative amplitudes and phase relationships. These can definitely be measured. The proof is that the results can be used in a synthesizer to generate notes uncannily like those of the real instruments.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #299 of 383
   I got 3 out of 6 but didn't once pick a 128kbp mp3. 

That is exactly the point. The vast majority of people can't tell the difference between 320 kbps mp3 files and higher resolution formats. That is why I don't understand why some insist on putting  high resolution files on a portable player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back