what is the best portable music player to have?
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 383

purlepen

New Head-Fier
I currently have an Ipod Nano 6th generation, and DUNU DN-2k. Is there a way to increase the sound quality by changing the Ipod Nano to something else? I am not apple's biggest fan, but I like the compact size of the nano 6

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 383
personally I would agree with Bill and get a nice little amp(and the correct line out cable). the usual weakness of portable stuff is the amp section anyway, so changing it is the best answer. now you may want to think about carrying the extra bulk, as it's not always fun.
going for some high end audio players is kind of the same thing, the good ones are "bricks". the smaller ones pretending to be high end are usually stuff that need an external amp for many kind of headphones to really be as good as they pretend to be.
so amp or just use what you have because it's not actually crap or anything and it's super cool to use.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 383
I have one of these amps: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier-with-dual-audio-out

I never use it though. Should I just start using it, or do I buy a better one?

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 383
Unfortunately to properly answer your question "what is the best portable music player to have?" a few simple questions need to be answered first since there are many, many different portable music players available that serve many different needs.

So first how will the player be used, i.e. in what type of situation and environment? Will it used while commuting to and from work and what type of commute? Bus, commuter train or noise urban rapid transit?

Do you want a one box player, i.e. no external amp or DAC?

What type of headphones - over the ear, on the ear or in ear monitors? However you have answered this question - the DUNU DN-2k, which are in ear monitors and which, from what I can gather, are not to difficult to drive meaning that an external is not necessary although you may want to use one anyway.

What type of files will you be using? For example: Mp3s, m4a (Apple's lossy format), flac, Apple lossless

Answering these simple questions will greatly help to narrow the available choices so that the decision becomes much more manageable.

So for example if one wants a one box player that will used with in ear monitors in a relatively noise environment (e.g. while on the NYC subway) and listening to mp3 files than pretty much any late model smart phone will do the job quite nicely.

Or if one will be listening to high resolution (24bit/48kHz and above) flac files in a relatively quiet environment (commuter train or bus) using full size over the ear headphones then a dedicated music player would be suited or a player which offers digital output combined with a portable DAC/amp.

I hope this helps to get you at least pointed in the right direction.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 383
I have iPods and great headphones that don't require amping with the iPod. Simple, easy, perfect sound.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 383
An iPod should be audibly pretty much perfect, unless you have hard to drive headphones (in other words, they don't get loud enough even at full volume). In that case, the solution is an amp. If the headphones already get loud enough through the iPod, there's really not anything to be gained by changing the player.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 383
I take it you guys are talking about iPod Classics? I had a Nano as my first player and thought that it sounded like a toy. Unless the Nano has improved since then? Brilliant portability though.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 383
Every iPod and iPhone I've ever owned has been perfect sounding. If your Nano sounded bad, odds are it had something to do with the headphones you were using. Probably they required amping. There are good headphones that don't require an amp with an iPod if you specifically search them out.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 383
It's fairly hard to find measurements, but it does look like a few of the older Nanos had a bass rolloff when used with a low impedance load. I would hope that they'd fixed that with the newer gen ones, but if they haven't, an amp might make a difference even with sensitive headphones. Other than that, the measurements I can find look basically perfect.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 383
From his posting history, it appears he was using IEMs, which would explain an impedance mismatch.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 383
Personal Disclosure: I find my iPod Nano 6th Gen the best sounding DAP I have paired with Roxanne. Take into account its superior UI, ultra small form factor and longer battery life. I sometimes feel silly for getting a DX50, DX90, X5 and even an iPod classic. The only thing that go against my nano is storage, which not a big deal for it's intended purpose.

To OP, make sure you are playing high-quality files (320k mp3/aac or better) or try another iem. If you don't like how the DN-2K sound like on your nano, an extra amp may do little or nothing at all.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back